Sapphire question

Leo Mcgary

Good morning!!! Mea Culpa!!! Didn't hear the announcement for the call for blood on Wednesday night before I posted my original message.

Have only really skimmed the entire thread I started and I've already deleted all references to Cruise Critic from my computer hardware, but, I'll leave you folks with one final post -- read it or not. We were able to chat with one of the medical staff on board -- yes, and don't think that HIPAA rules apply on the High Seas like they do in the States. Anyhow, God Bless the passenger who offloaded in Cabo as she's receiving the help she needs, but come to find out that she boarded the ship with a PREEXISTING condition which featured the vomiting of blood that was the impetus for our schedule change. If that's not SELFISH, I don't know what is. It's not like it was a complete surprise that this would happen to her.

Lots of people traveled far and wide to come on this holiday, some for their first trip to Mexico and some repeat trips, not to mention the many months of planning. Contrary to popular belief, I really do feel for this woman and her family, but sorry, if you've got a preexisting condition that can cause a change to 3,000+ passengers' plans, then maybe you ought to rethink booking a vacation that is so far from medical attention that you're probably going to imminently need.

Okay... most of you will be glad to know that I'm done with Cruise Critic -- frankly probably also why I don't do Facebook and the like. What a time-suck. Have a nice life, everyone, and cruise well!!

Lame attempt to justify the first obnoxious post.

From the Princess Web site:

VIII. Health Information

Princess Cruises complies with the requirements of the U.S. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. (“HIPAA”)

Good morning!!! Mea Culpa!!! Didn't hear the announcement for the call for blood on Wednesday night before I posted my original message.

Have only really skimmed the entire thread I started and I've already deleted all references to Cruise Critic from my computer hardware, but, I'll leave you folks with one final post -- read it or not. We were able to chat with one of the medical staff on board -- yes, and don't think that HIPAA rules apply on the High Seas like they do in the States. Anyhow, God Bless the passenger who offloaded in Cabo as she's receiving the help she needs, but come to find out that she boarded the ship with a PREEXISTING condition which featured the vomiting of blood that was the impetus for our schedule change. If that's not SELFISH, I don't know what is. It's not like it was a complete surprise that this would happen to her.

Lots of people traveled far and wide to come on this holiday, some for their first trip to Mexico and some repeat trips, not to mention the many months of planning. Contrary to popular belief, I really do feel for this woman and her family, but sorry, if you've got a preexisting condition that can cause a change to 3,000+ passengers' plans, then maybe you ought to rethink booking a vacation that is so far from medical attention that you're probably going to imminently need.

Okay... most of you will be glad to know that I'm done with Cruise Critic -- frankly probably also why I don't do Facebook and the like. What a time-suck. Have a nice life, everyone, and cruise well!!

Good-bye!!!!

Just curious why can they use helicopter or speed boat to transport patient vs. ship travelling 20 miles an hour in a life and death situation?

When one of passenger on my carribean cruise have heart attack after we left Cozumel, speed boat came and took her back to Cozumel so cruise can continue on.

Just curious why can they use helicopter or speed boat to transport patient vs. ship travelling 20 miles an hour in a life and death situation?

When one of passenger on my carribean cruise have heart attack after we left Cozumel, speed boat came and took her back to Cozumel so cruise can continue on.

Many times ships are out of range for helicopters & maybe for a speedboat. While bumping across the water may be an option in some cases this patient was reported as having internal bleeding. I doubt if that would work & would think he would receive better treatment on the ship.

I'm sure they use the best option possible for each situation & for this patient it was determined by medical professionals to go to Cabo.

From what has been posted

The decision to turn around was apparently made at night. Night time transfers are more dangerous then day time transfers. Especially for helicopter, but also for a boat.

They were able to be back at port before morning.

Thus it was probably the best choice based upon risk/benefit information.

Bottom line Captian's decision and he had far far more information about what was going on and the reasons for his decision then any of use do.

There was another thread I can't find at the moment where someone basically accused Princess of using the Medical Emergency as an 'excuse' to miss PV, with the clear subtext it was fake...

That thread (Currently aboard Sapphire -- and ANNOYED) was deleted & the person who posted that ridiculous assumption posted (#26) on this thread.

There was another thread I can't find at the moment where someone basically accused Princess of using the Medical Emergency as an 'excuse' to miss PV, with the clear subtext it was fake...
That thread was by "hapster" and has been removed.

Many people cruise with a pre-existing condition... but are stable. No one expects to get sick or have a life-threatening emergency on a cruise but it happens. I've been on cruises when more than one person has died or had to be evacuated. Go down to the Medical Center some day and you'll see a wide variety of illnesses and injuries.

I've taken many Mexican Riviera cruises and have a 10-day booked in March. Have a "sort of" tour planned (it's not definite) in Loreto but most of the other ports, I plan to either stay on the ship or get off, shop and have lunch.

On the CB a couple weeks ago, on the Ultimate Ship's Tour, there were at least three people in the medical center being checked out. There didn't seem to be anyone who had been admitted (occupying one of the beds/hospital rooms) but still, people will get sick, some seriously. The doctor we spoke with on the tour said he's seen four deaths in the six years he's been on cruises. For some reason, that number struck me as low but I don't know how much time in that six years he's actually been on a ship.

That does seem low. The CMO on the Coral in 2009 told us during the UST that one death per week was not uncommon on HAL in Alaska (older crowd), the vast majority occurred in their sleep so no emergency is called, its just discreetly handled.

He said 1 every month or so was not uncommon in his experience.

On the CB a couple weeks ago, on the Ultimate Ship's Tour, there were at least three people in the medical center being checked out. There didn't seem to be anyone who had been admitted (occupying one of the beds/hospital rooms) but still, people will get sick, some seriously. The doctor we spoke with on the tour said he's seen four deaths in the six years he's been on cruises. For some reason, that number struck me as low but I don't know how much time in that six years he's actually been on a ship.

Great news! Captain reported passenger stable! Had surgery in Cabo. He is grateful that Princess took such great care of him! :D:D. He asked Captain to thank everyone for taking him back to Cabo and missing PV. NICE!

Great news.....:):):)

Bob