Beakaway Ice Bar...is it a "rip-off"?

dongordon

Why do they say it's a "rip off"? I think their reason would probably give you a pretty good insight into whether it is or not.

Some people don't care for it, and they don't need to do it.

Others like the novelty and are willing to pay the fee for the experience. I would think people have the sense to know that it's a cold place with 2 drinks for the $20.00. It's a photo opportunity and with a group there can be some good laughs.

Personally, I have done it once. It was just what I expected it to be. I got some good pictures and probably won't need to do it again, unless I was with someone who hadn't done it before and wanted the experience.

Rip off, no. I agree you know exactly what you are getting. We just got off the Epic and it was one of the things we did not do, mainly because it was just the two of us and it seems it would be so much more fun with a group.

We overheard a group who had just come out, and a few hardy Canadians had decided to throw off their parkas and shirts and did the duration bare chested and in shorts. They had a lot of laughs. You can either have a good time or not, it's up to you.

I went into the ice bar on the Breakaway in Aug. I went in with 3 other couples I met onboard. We had a good time. We stayed about 30 min. My next trip on the BA I don't think I'll do it. It's a novelty thing. Been there done that kinda thing. I don't think it was a rip off.

We're going to try it this summer. Never been in an Ice Bar before.

With our big group I think it will be fun!

p.s. It's been feeling about 17 degrees here lately so I'm "in training" for it.

~robin and brian

(summertime jersey shore beach bums)

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

You can either have a good time or not, it's up to you.

The quote above says it best! If you think you will enjoy it, you probably will, and if you think you won't then don't do it. It will be COLD, and you will have 2 drinks. This isn't an hour long experience, it's about 20 minutes at most. The fun of it is being surrounded by ice, getting warmed up with some drinks, and having laughs with friends.

Edited by eiffeltower07
spelling

I think rip-off is a ridiculous characterization. You get exactly what you should be expecting - a very cold bar with 2 drinks included in the cover charge. How is that a rip-off? I tried it as a novelty and enjoyed the experience. Would I go again? Maybe, if someone else wanted to give it a try.

It is only a rip off if you paid for it and didn't enjoy it;)

It is not where we have chosen to spend our money being as we are "warm weather" people - no cold for us thank you. However, if you go with the right attitude (it is a novelty) and want "bragging rights" that you endured it, take some photos, etc., then it would definitely be worth the money to that person.

I have heard that some people have said that the Breakaway Ice Bar is a "rip-off."

Any opinions on that comment?

Don

Of course its a rip Off . Its an Ice Bar . But thats what vacation is for . Throwing money at silly things you would not normally do .

Is a $5 ticket on 3 minute carnival ride a rip off ? Of course .

Is being forced to buy something you dont want or need a rip off ? of course.

( Barry you know what I mean :p )

Enjoy , you will have a story to tell later.. ;)

I went into the ice bar on the Breakaway in Aug. I went in with 3 other couples I met onboard. We had a good time. We stayed about 30 min. My next trip on the BA I don't think I'll do it. It's a novelty thing. Been there done that kinda thing. I don't think it was a rip off.

That was our experience as well. Did it on the Epic. Am glad I had the experience and thought it was fun. However, I don't feel the need to do so again.

I did the Ice Bar each time on the Epic. I enjoyed it but probably wont do another Ice Bar at sea again. Been there, done that. I loved each experience and stayed almost the full 45 minutes each time. It is a fantastic photo opportunity for you and your family. Other than that, if you are not a drinker, it is hard to stay warm and there is nothing to do. I saw couples come in, take only a sip of their drink, and then run out.

If you have never done it, I would suggest it for sure.

Edited by david_sobe

We really enjoyed the ice bar in Nov on Breakaway. But it's all a personal preference.

For us, we were another couple and between us we had 7 kids all week, so on our last night the kids all went to the pajama party in the kids' club and we splurged on some much needed 'adult time' in the ice bar.

This was Sat night, and there were about 12 people in there. Most chugged their drinks and left after 15 mins. We stayed the whole 30 mins and even got a few more 'samples' of Svedka vodka.

It's definitely more fun in a group, as are most things.

It is what it is, and for us it was a fun night out.

Enjoy it, Don! Remember that you need to make a reservation for it.

Tracy

Tracy...

I did not know that.....thanks for telling me.

That could be another "event" on our Roll Call!! :D

We have so many, I am going to need a calendar onboard. :)

Sounds like it is fun to do with friends.

Don

...a very cold bar with 2 drinks included in the cover charge.

Or, you can have an awesome bartender like the one we had on Breakaway, where us and another couple we met in there were hooked up with at least 4 or 5 drinks (got to try all the flavors they served!). So for us, not a rip off at all, lol. And lets just say between that and how we crushed it at the martini bar before/after, it was all we could do to stumble back to your cabin that night. :D

yes it was fun to recognise other roll callers in there - a good laugh!