Carrying alcohol on when embarking on Caribbean cruise

CruiseLovinNewlyweds

Good morning,

Quick question from an alcohol toting Canadian. We have been traveling for a week in Florida and are due to board our cruise this Friday. As of now we are toting the requisite two bottles of wine we are allowed plus another bottle and a few things of hard liquor.

My question is, I know that we are allowed the two bottles. What will they do with the rest of the alcohol we are carrying? And do we need to have it outside of our suitcases?

Thanks in advance!

Celebrity Alcoholic Beverage Policy:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and/or luggage check points or any other time) may be disembarked or not allowed to board at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

I've heard of the following three possibilities:

1. Items could be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise, or

2. Items could be confiscated and destroyed, or

3. They might pass through security

The only way to be sure of no hassle and of being sure that you won't lose your purchase is to stick to their policy.

I always carry our two bottles of wine on board with us. This is because I've heard of many cases where luggage is diverted to a security holding area instead of being delivered to your cabin if they detect a prohibited item, or something which might be a prohibited item, during the routine security scans of the bags. If this happens then you'll need to spend time claiming your suitcase and opening it for inspection even if it is just to prove everything is OK. It would also mean that you don't get your bag until later on embarkation day.

I say you hand carry the 2 bottles of wine. The hard liquor you pack separately in its own box/bag assuming it will be confiscated and held until you disembark - they have a formal process for this. Maybe even hand carry these to upstairs security so t goes even smoother and won't delay luggage.

if you want more wine, then pack 1 or 2 in the checked baggage.

I figure they have no way of talking from upstairs security to downstairs luggage who already brought the 2 bottles on. So seems simple enough to get 2 carried and 2 in luggage. I can report I was successful with this method on my last cruise. :-)

As we are travelling from the UK and usually stay a few days before our cruise, we always take our duty free allowance from the UK. What is left before the cruise goes n the cases and then usually gets used in the post cruise stay period.

The advent of the drinks packages and particularly "free" ones means that we don't use what we take on the ship although we would have used it in the past. Why use our stuff when the ship's alcohol is free.

We have never had an issue with this with either Celebrity or Princess although it is against their policies. Quite frankly, there is little enough storage space, and I would be quite happy for Celebrity to store is for me for the period of the cruise.

They may confiscate it and not return it.

Have learned thru the years that the dollars saved on discounted liquor is not worth the hassle unless it is a considerable savings and then you have to worry about not breaking or losing that cheap bottle of Louis XIII or similar.

.🎅🎄

Is it 2 bottles of wine per person or per couple traveling together?

And, if I put 2 bottles of wine in my luggage (which is given to the porter at the curb) and then bring 2 bottles with me in my carry on, is that ok?

No, the limit is 2. Period.

Is it 2 bottles of wine per person or per couple traveling together?

And, if I put 2 bottles of wine in my luggage (which is given to the porter at the curb) and then bring 2 bottles with me in my carry on, is that ok?

"2 per cabin" is the rule.

We will be on a Royal Caribbean cruise followed by a land vacation and finishing with a Celebrity cruise. I wanted to buy some Cruzan Rum on the Royal cruise but then I would need to bring it on the Celebrity cruise but just for transport. We have the classic drink package on Celebrity so definitely not trying to "smuggle" here. Do you think we would have any trouble? Perfectly willing to let them hold my purchase during the cruise.

Of course if they have Cruzan Rum in the Celebrity spirit shop that may be a better solution. Just wait until we board Celebrity to make our purchase....

We will be on a Royal Caribbean cruise followed by a land vacation and finishing with a Celebrity cruise. I wanted to buy some Cruzan Rum on the Royal cruise but then I would need to bring it on the Celebrity cruise but just for transport. We have the classic drink package on Celebrity so definitely not trying to "smuggle" here. Do you think we would have any trouble? Perfectly willing to let them hold my purchase during the cruise.

Of course if they have Cruzan Rum in the Celebrity spirit shop that may be a better solution. Just wait until we board Celebrity to make our purchase....

Don't think there would be a problem, if you pack separately (make sure you put your name and cabin number on the package) and declare it and ask for them to hold it until the end of the cruise.

Of you are planning on buying another 2 duty free bottles on the second cruise you need to know that the allowance is 2 bottles in a 30 day period and not per cruise.

If you are able to check out the prices at the Costco in FL. There is one at Ex 62 on I95. You don't need to be a member and the prices are ridiculously cheap. Especially for the Kirkland brand. Even the Kaluaha was cheaper than on board. They have Kirkland spiced rum that is under $20 for a 1.75l bottle and the label says came from St Croix Island. They have vodka, tequila, Canadian whiskey, Bourbon and scotch.

.🎅🎄

2 btls per cabin, but since my bags are with the porters, how do they know that if I am carrying an extra btl of wine in my carry on, that I also have 2 in my luggage?

And, if I chose not to bring any wine on at departation, can I bring 2 btls on from one of the ports we visit?