Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

Or any ship without an enclosed pool, as somebody mentioned in another thread.

I wonder if the competitions rates will go even higher now.

That is an interesting question. It's hard to believe people would pay more for Quantum. We will see.

Is the Splendor the red headed stepchild which nobody wants?? (in the Splendor's case, the pink headed stepchild). :o

This ship seems to be having a hard time finding a permanent home. From Ft. Lauderdale, to Los Angeles, to New York, and now to Miami. I wish her luck.

About NYC, I can't say that I'm surprised that Carnival is pulling out. Prices were already ridiculously low. With Quantum of the Seas and Royal Princess joining Norwegian Breakaway during the fall of 2014 in NYC, it seems like the competition was only going to get tougher.

Edited by Tapi

As I said in a earlier posting the cruise price for a Florida cruise are equal to the deals I get for cruising from Baltimore. So I don't think it is the price.

"Example: I just checked and I can purchase a cruise on 1/26/14 (my next cruise )from Baltimore on the Pride inside cabin for $359, same date Miami on the Conquest an inside cabin $349. So the posts that say they are not making money on the winter cruises from the NE does not add up."

You lost me. Please explain your reasoning.

Stay with me.

If the extended sailing time from northern eastern US ports to caribbean destinations eats up a lot of fuel, and thats on the minds of the EPA, then Carnival will choose the southern ports to the caribbean for possible shorter itineraries or at least shorter full steam sailing time. The travel time at full steam is less cost effective than a mere idle at port. The Pride has 2 full sea days before the first port on it's 7 day Bahamas cruise just like the boat from NY. Not sure about all the details but Carnival may get some kickbacks from the ports they visit. Less sailing time and more port visits on a 7 day cruise equals more profit for Carnival and less worry with the EPA.....Maybe.. Just a guess?

Keith

Stay with me.

If the extended sailing time from northern eastern US ports to caribbean destinations eats up a lot of fuel, and thats on the minds of the EPA, then Carnival will choose the southern ports to the caribbean for possible shorter itineraries or at least shorter full steam sailing time. The travel time at full steam is less cost effective than a mere idle at port. The Pride has 2 full sea days before the first port on it's 7 day Bahamas cruise just like the boat from NY. Not sure about all the details but Carnival may get some kickbacks from the ports they visit. Less sailing time and more port visits on a 7 day cruise equals more profit for Carnival and less worry with the EPA.....Maybe.. Just a guess?

Keith

I don't know about the kick backs for sure (but you can tell Carnival is in bed with DI and TI at the ports - along with the other 'official' stores) but for sure they rather sail closer to the destination ports and burn less fuel. Carnival doesn't want to have to burn the more expensive fuel down the coast nor do they want to put the scrubbers on the ships.

The cheapest route is their preferred route.

So Carnival is now going to have 12 ships based in Florida year round? :eek:

Freedom, Liberty, Sunshine, Glory, Splendor, Breeze, Conquest, Pride, Inspiration, Ecstasy, Sensation and Fascination.

Did I miss any?

Freedom, Liberty, Sunshine, Glory, Splendor, Breeze, Conquest, Pride, Inspiration, Ecstasy, Sensation and Fascination.

Did I miss any?

I think you are correct, this should cause a drop the price due to the increased availability.

Is the Splendor the red headed stepchild which nobody wants?? (in the Splendor's case, the pink headed stepchild). :o

This ship seems to be having a hard time finding a permanent home. From Ft. Lauderdale, to Los Angeles, to New York, and now to Miami. I wish her luck.

How can you say that...

I have sailed the miracle, Triumph and Glory out of NYC and they were all transfered to other ports after awhile.

Did I miss any?

Saddening. :(

First Boston, then Baltimore, now NYC?!?!?! Doesn't Carnival know that the Bos-Wash region is the most densely populated in the country [along with one of the richest!]?

Saddening. :(

First Boston, then Baltimore, now NYC?!?!?! Doesn't Carnival know that the Bos-Wash region is the most densely populated in the country [along with one of the richest!]?

You are missing the point. It matters not how dense the population or wealth is. In fact, dense wealth would likely scare Carnival away.

Their profit margins are way way lower cruising out of the NE. Carnival is all about the budget cruises now - the cheapest fare possible.

You are missing the point. It matters not how dense the population or wealth is. In fact, dense wealth would likely scare Carnival away.

Their profit margins are way way lower cruising out of the NE. Carnival is all about the budget cruises now - the cheapest fare possible.

When we were on the Pride in October 2013 it was said by the crew that the Pride is the highest revenue producing ship in Carnival's fleet.

When we were on the Pride in October 2013 it was said by the crew that the Pride is the highest revenue producing ship in Carnival's fleet.

Revenue or profit? Either way I highly doubt that. Regardless - they could say that pigs have wings but unless they could back that up it would mean bugger all.

Revenue or profit? Either way I highly doubt that. Regardless - they could say that pigs have wings but unless they could back that up it would mean bugger all.

I disagree, the last major expenditure for the Pride was over 3 years ago. So they have recouped their expense. Once the ship is dry docked in Oct/Nov 2014 and is renovated I will agree with you. But not until the renovation is completed.

I disagree, the last major expenditure for the Pride was over 3 years ago. So they have recouped their expense. Once the ship is dry docked in Oct/Nov 2014 and is renovated I will agree with you. But not until the renovation is completed.

What does that have to do with anything? All the ships are on a continual dry dock schedule.

Doesn't Carnival know that the Bos-Wash region is the most densely populated in the country [along with one of the richest!]?

Maybe that's the answer to your question. If the region is one of the richest, maybe the average cruiser in that part of the country gravitates towards a more upscale cruise experience and shies away from the budget minded cruise experience that Carnival offers. The other cruise lines don't seem to be having a problem charging premium prices to sail from NYC.

I don't disagree with you. It is still saddening though :(

That said, they should care somewhat about both dense populations and wealth. People with more disposable income can [and do] normally take more vacations. With higher concentrations of said people, there is more chance for them to sell out sailings. Norwegian seems to be doing wonderfully in the NY/New England region and their product is not THAT much different; they are another mainstream line with similar offerings and prices get to similar levels as well if you catch them at the right time.

Maybe that's the answer to your question. If the region is one of the richest, maybe the average cruiser in that part of the country gravitates towards a more upscale cruise experience and shies away from the budget minded cruise experience that Carnival offers. The other cruise lines don't seem to be having a problem charging premium prices to sail from NYC.

"The rich".....still know a good value!

And even though we are "the richest"....the average person isn't rich.

What does that have to do with anything? All the ships are on a continual dry dock schedule.

Most of the ships have been renovated after the Pride. so the passenger revenue mile cost is less for the Pride because the expense of the last major renovation is has been spread out over an extended period. When Carnival extends the time for dry docks, which they did in the Prides case. They increase the profit margin by spreading out the renovation expenses over a longer period of time. example: Renovation cost $362, if the ship is scheduled to dry dock one year later the renovation expense over the year is $1 per day. If you take that same renovation cost $362 and the dry dock is scheduled at two years the expenses is reduced to .50 cents per day, which increase the possible profit margin of that ship.

Is Carnival messed up or what. Almost like amateur hour.

I just received my Cancellation Notice for January 2015, telling me that the cancellation was "within the penalty period" and penalties would apply.

Sigh!

LOL . . . Carnival's customer service amateurishness is only topped by their inept website. How such a huge successful corporation can have such a difficult confusing, often inoperable, website is beyond me. :)