Share an interesting Cruise Story with Everyone

The first (and so far only) cruise I went on was majesty of the seas in 2005. My first stop on board was the martini bar and started up a convo with the guy sitting beside me from England and he said he was on the late dinner and he was travelling solo as well and it turned out that we were at the same table! Needless to say we had a great time with drinks at the bars and with our dinner table mates. I'm looking forward now to my second cruise, this time the allure, in January. Talk about the yin/yang of ships!

The first (and so far only) cruise I went on was majesty of the seas in 2005. My first stop on board was the martini bar and started up a convo with the guy sitting beside me from England and he said he was on the late dinner and he was travelling solo as well and it turned out that we were at the same table! Needless to say we had a great time with drinks at the bars and with our dinner table mates. I'm looking forward now to my second cruise, this time the allure, in January. Talk about the yin/yang of ships!

Fabulous!! Have a great time on the Allure!!

Wonderful stories!! We vividly remember our one and only 14 day Transatlantic journey on Grandeur of the Seas. This cruise left September, 2001 from Rome, Italy and returned to the USA in Boston.

When we left Rome to begin our journey across the Atlantic there was a very large storm brewing. We could see the white-capped waves in the bay, crashing against the Grandeur before we even boarded. Not a good sign at all!! My wife's comment which I remember like it was yesterday was a resounding I'm not going on that ship!!! Needless to say, we made it aboard...

Once settled, we had a wonderful time (though a bit green around the gills) visiting all of the European ports until we neared Azores. It was here that we both were hit with the Norovirus. Not a fun thing to have on the high seas...

We were holed up in our Stateroom watching a movie on TV (Vertical Limit) when the Captain stopped the movie and made an important announcement on the PA system. It was September 11th, 2001 and he declared that the US was just hit by a devastating terrorist strike and no one knew when or if they would continue. Words cannot describe what everyone felt; in the middle of the Atlantic, no easy way to contact anyone on shore and our family is from New York and New Jersey. There were a lot of emotions on board and the crew did the best they could to keep everyone informed. The internet cafe was opened to everyone with no charges on usage. I remember the horrible emotions as people found out family members were directly affected by the attacks - it was one of the hardest days... ever.

We managed to contact my parents (thru instant message!) who would drive from Virginia to meet us in Boston. A lot of people would be stuck because there was no way to fly back to their homes.

All of this would have been enough, but we had to add on Hurricane Erin that was churning directly in our path to HOME. I don't remember details of the hurricane's impact on our voyage but we managed to navigate around it. (Add some more green gills to our already green Norovirus gills) There was definitely a lot of talk about how we may have issues returning to port.

Finally we arrived in Boston. My parents had made the long drive and were at the pier welcoming us home with a huge sign. There were very long delays before anyone was allowed off the ship because there were rumors there could be explosives on board. We heard that they were searching the ship and even that there were scuba divers that had to search below the water line, but we could not verify this. We had to wait a LONG time to get off that ship... We finally got off on September 15th.

Driving home we saw tons of American flags flying everywhere. On all of the highway overpasses there was American spirit and it felt so great to be on terra firma back in the USA. Once home we watched the attacks for the first time 'live' on TV (the ship did not have live TV coverage and we only saw pictures the crew provided and on the internet). It was odd to be experiencing everything on 'real' TV for the first time when our family had seen the devastation live days earlier.

Luckily no one in our immediate family was hurt but our hearts go out to our friends, family and everyone else that was. It definitely was the cruise of our lifetime; one that we will never forget (but wish we could :()!!

Glen & Laurie

We were on this cruise with you. Royal did all they could and even put people up in hotels until they could fly home!!!!!It was a great cruise, but very sad few days after the 11th.and yes we did miss the hurricane.

This is a lovely thread. Its nice to see heart warming and just fun stories.

I can't think of anything right now, but I'm enjoying everyone else's stories.

There are enough complaints from people all over this board, so this one thread, just is designed to give people a way to share some interesting things that they have experienced on their cruises.

Glad you like it.....

I have a story to share. My father passed away in 2005. His wish was to be cremated and his ashes were to be taken out to sea, my Dad was in the Submarine service in WW2 so we definitely wanted to fulfill his wish. We initially planned to charter a boat after his memorial service since we had the entire family together, but that didn't work out because of a storm. My Mother had his ashes which were actually in a block of salt so when placed in the sea it would be biodegradable. Each time I mentioned that we needed to "go to the sea" she was hesitant because she's 82 now and wasn't thrilled about the idea of going out in the Atlantic 12 miles to drop Dad off, so to speak. Fast forward to 2013. I am a frequent RCCL cruiser and live in South Florida and I read a blog about someone who passed away and the wife was about to cancel their planned cruise when she determined that she could go on the cruise anyway and have her husband's ashes put in the sea while on the cruise, which like my Dad, was his wish.

I contacted the nice people at RCCL and they arranged a ceremony for us and my Mother and my siblings booked a cruise for Thanksgiving weekend on the Enchantment. My Mom loved the idea and so off we went to Port Canaveral ! We joked about Dad's last cruise and in fact it was a wonderful experience for my family. The Guest Services Manager and the Environmental Officer arranged the ceremony for the last day once we were 12 miles out from Coco Cay about 7:30pm .

We gathered together and an officer took us down to deck three in the bow in a private room where the ropes are kept on those big spools. We each spoke briefly about our memories of our Dad and then the officer said a few words and we tossed Dad thru an opening where the ropes go out to tie up the boat when in port, then the officer gave us each a rose to toss in as well. It was such a wonderful experience for my family and RCCL helped make it so special. We all went back to the Schooner Bar and had a final toast for the Old Salt! My Dad loved it I'm sure. When we tossed in the ashes, the officer called up the bridge and recorded the coordinates and they will be sending us a certificate with the coordinates in about 6 weeks, how cool is that?

We hear a lot about what goes wrong when on a cruise so I am happy to share a heartwarming story!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with us. My husband is a retired Naval Commander who has salt water in his veins. We've taken many family cruises so this might be the answer when the time comes.

Me and my husband were on liberty of the seas in 2009 and it was the first formal night. He told he was going to go have a smoke I said have fun. Well he went down and looked at every place they had the back drop and picked on out. So when he came back we left the room and I noticed he was fidgity but thought nothing of it. Well we waited about ten mins for our turn for pix and had said something to the camera man but thought nothing of it. So I looked at the guy and all of a sudden the crowed went awwww and I was like what and I look and there he was on one knee asking to marry him of course I said yes :D

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

Me and my husband were on liberty of the seas in 2009 and it was the first formal night. He told he was going to go have a smoke I said have fun. Well he went down and looked at every place they had the back drop and picked on out. So when he came back we left the room and I noticed he was fidgity but thought nothing of it. Well we waited about ten mins for our turn for pix and had said something to the camera man but thought nothing of it. So I looked at the guy and all of a sudden the crowed went awwww and I was like what and I look and there he was on one knee asking to marry him of course I said yes :D

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

So COOL!!!!!

I am sure many people know one kind of "know it all or another'. On our first cruise back in 2004, we were novices at it.

The first cruise we ever took was back in 2004 on Navigator. It was with friends of ours who had cruised quite a few times prior to this cruise, and had gone on Navigator the previous year, actually the second cruise that the ship was out. They had tried to get on her Maiden Voyage, but due to some unforeseen circumstances they were unable to.

Anyway, our friends took care of all of the details, because they 'knew all the ins and outs, since they were experienced cruisers' -- fine by us. We had a great balcony cabin, the ocean looked pretty much the same every day, and it was delightful. Everyday, I heard about their experience and how we should do "ABC or XYZ" -- they were experts....they took us on a tour of the ship, since they had been on her the year before. They suggested excursions....etc, etc.

I let it go on for day or so.....lets face it, these were 'very dear friends of mine'.....then I said at dinner one evening....'We're going to do some of OUR own exploring and learn how to be OUR own kind of cruisers' -- we were traveling with a third couple, and they fully understood the message I was sending 'to our very dear friends'.....and viola, Mr and Mrs. Know it all, backed off. We did not lose a friend either.

Often times, we come upon a "know it all" on a cruise ship.....I just laugh NOW.

I once went on a cruise (not RCCL - the NCL Sun) where I had forgotten all of my pairs of pants.

Ever try to go shopping for plus sized clothing in Roatan?

The question I have is --- how successful were you?

Edited by Paulette3028

I'll have my husband pack an extra pair of laces for "just in case."

It is funny, we do pack an extra pair of laces with us....but we for some 'uncanny' reason check the store on board to see if they have any for sale.....sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Guest Services are a good source of emergency items, too. DH once forgot his tuxedo studs and they had a set there for him to borrow.

I went to guest services one time, someone, (me) told my son to try on his crocs before we left, of course, he didn't and they were too small. So I wanted to cut a hole in the toe so his big toe could stick out. I asked to borrow a scissors, she looked at me like I was going to stab someone! :D She let me use it but told me I had to stand RIGHT THERE while using it. I guess it's good they are watching out for our safety. They are a great resource. Another time, I needed an alcohol pad to clean a wound from getting bit by a fish, (watch those yellow fin tuna) but I didn't want the hassle of going to the doc. They did have a small first aid kit and gave me one, and a bandaid, unfortunantly the pad was one of a brand that was part of a huge nationwide recall due to contamination, so I couldn't use it anyway. I learned to bring my own first aid stuff, but they are really helpful people!

I thought of a cute story... My twins first cruise they were 9 months old. My son fell asleep at dinner in his formal wear and I wanted to try to get more pictures of the kids in their outfits by the piano. He refused to wake up so we took the picture anyway with him asleep on the piano while my daughter laid on top of him smiling. It is still one of my favorite pictures. Of course we bought it, but a few hundred passengers Tried to as well! (the cruise line wouldn't let them since they weren't their family).

I thought of a cute story... My twins first cruise they were 9 months old. My son fell asleep at dinner in his formal wear and I wanted to try to get more pictures of the kids in their outfits by the piano. He refused to wake up so we took the picture anyway with him asleep on the piano while my daughter laid on top of him smiling. It is still one of my favorite pictures. Of course we bought it, but a few hundred passengers Tried to as well! (the cruise line wouldn't let them since they weren't their family).

How cute a story.....I don't know when this took place, but the cruise line probably worried that some people might have 'sinister' ideas, when they were buying pictures of people not in their family or cruising party.

Sad statement of our times, I guess.

How cute a story.....I don't know when this took place, but the cruise line probably worried that some people might have 'sinister' ideas, when they were buying pictures of people not in their family or cruising party.

Sad statement of our times, I guess.

This was just last year, scary but you are probably right. We were quite famous on that trip and were greeted with " these are the famous twins" after the first day. Everyone knew who was in the twins party...though that didn't stop people from snapping their picture everywhere we went. I now know how Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie feel... Some asked but most just took their picture. It is a bizarre experience.

This was just last year, scary but you are probably right. We were quite famous on that trip and were greeted with " these are the famous twins" after the first day. Everyone knew who was in the twins party...though that didn't stop people from snapping their picture everywhere we went. I now know how Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie feel... Some asked but most just took their picture. It is a bizarre experience.

Other celebrities on the cruise, who have 'short lived' notoriety would also be the winner of the belly flob contest, or the winner of the Love/Marriage game, or some of the participants in Karoake -- but they were probably not as cute as your twins!

It is good they snapped their own pictures of the twins....

Other celebrities on the cruise, who have 'short lived' notoriety would also be the winner of the belly flob contest, or the winner of the Love/Marriage game, or some of the participants in Karoake -- but they were probably not as cute as your twins!...

On our last Explorer of the Seas trip we were in the Love/Marriage game. Needless to say I got caught up in the cruise directors hype and gave some answers that were, ummmm, embarrassing :). When the lights are on you and the CD is prodding for 'dirty' answers that's what I gave. Lol.

Yes, we were the 'it' couple for the rest of the cruise and it most definitely was not pleasant!! We just kept saying - the answers were not all true but the damage was already done (sigh)

Lesson learned - be careful what you say; you're stuck on a ship with thousands of people who will see the game played endlessly on the stateroom tv's!!!

On our last Explorer of the Seas trip we were in the Love/Marriage game. Needless to say I got caught up in the cruise directors hype and gave some answers that were, ummmm, embarrassing :). When the lights are on you and the CD is prodding for 'dirty' answers that's what I gave. Lol.

Yes, we were the 'it' couple for the rest of the cruise and it most definitely was not pleasant!! We just kept saying - the answers were not all true but the damage was already done (sigh)

Lesson learned - be careful what you say; you're stuck on a ship with thousands of people who will see the game played endlessly on the stateroom tv's!!!

I can share that experience with you....when DH and I were on Her Majesty of the Seas in2012, we were the couple married the longest playing the game and we won. I looked at the experience as 'just fun', and did not care -- it wasn't as if we were going to see many (if any) of the other cruisers after the cruise.

I just sped 20 minutes writing this out for a post on the St Kitts board but it is a humorous story ( at least now it is) so I thought I could share it here too. :)

We went to Cockelshell to swim and ride horses. Horseback ride was great, the guides were very nice and kind to my daughter and she loved her dream of riding in the ocean.

Then he even let her ride his donkey, her first donkey ride. She is now an equine science major in college.

Then we decided to leave the kids on shore and go snorkeling. We are swimming away, passed a raft full of people (remember it was full of people) and kept on. I kicked or stepped on something. I grabbed my husbands arm and said something like "ouch I stepped on something, I gotta go back to shore" He shrugs and says ok, and keeps snorkeling. He is constantly telling me to wear waters shoes, which I just may start doing. I look under water to see what I kicked and all I see are rocks and sea urchins. yep, stepped on a sea urchin. I am half way back when I start to get the chills, venom is kicking in. Some people say urchins don't have venom, I say step on one!!! I go to the raft full of people, climb on and say, " I need help I stepped on a sea urchin" I open my eyes and there is no one on the raft except a girl about 9 years old, looking at me with her mouth hanging open. Then I see her dad in the water, he asks if I need help, I ask him to just watch me swim to shore and make sure I make it. I took the time to look at my foot and there are 7 black spikes in it. I can see the swelling spread. So I swim back. Ok, Cockelshell beach has sand, then 2 feet of rocks, then sand. My son sees me coming and I tell him I need help hobbeling over the rocks. He says " do you want my walking stick" (he picked it up on shore somewhere). He hands me the stick and I lean on it to get across the rocks one footed. As soon as my weight is on the stick, it snaps, breaks and jabs into my other leg. Son helps me ashore, I sit on our chair. My son helps me to the bar while daughter watches the stuff. On the walk thru the bar, everyone is offering to help me by peeing on my foot. Yeah, no. I ask the bar for help. A very nice lady tells a young man how to help me. He was really kind and gentle as he is explaining he is going to "put fire on my foot" He first gets vinegar, which acts the same way as pee to stop the pain only a little bit uhm cleaner? Then he puts antibiotic cream on it, yes, I am allergic to triple antibiotic cream, and yes that is what he used. I decided I probably needed the cream though and would put up with any allergy reaction. My foot is all swollen by this point anyway. Then he takes a can of sterno and lights it. He puts it up to my skin so the flame is almost touching. I really couldn't feel much other than the heat felt good. I asked him if he should take out the spikes, he said no, but didn't speak enough English to really help me understand. Along comes my husband who says he didn't know I got hurt for real. I forgave him. We hobble around, the kids got to see a monkey and we take a taxi back to the ship. I go to the ship doctor and she tells me they did everything exactly right and there is nothing more she can do, so she didn't charge me for the visit. She told me they don't take out the spikes, they let them just dissolve in the body. If you take them out they can get infected. So a few days later as I am filling out my customs form, I feel like I am committing a felony when I say I am not bringing any plant or animal life with me. Does it count if it's in your body? I found out later my parents go ripped off my the scammers who put monkeys on you and then make you pay. I even warned them about those guys!!! Anyway a bad day in the Caribbean is still better than a good day at home in a blizzard.

Oh and while I could see the black spikes in my foot for a week or so, the swelling was gone and no pain by the next morning.

Back in the 70's, I went on the Carnival Mardi Gras with my then DH.

We had an inside cabin with bunk beds. Of course, those cabins are always so dark that you literally can't see your hand in front of your face.

I was on the top bunk, and one night I felt the ship listing severely to the left (or so I thought). I woke up my DH and told him I thought the ship was sinking.

He turned on the lights and started to laugh. My bunk had started folding into the wall with me in it!

After that, I was somewhat reluctant to book an inside cabin!

Back in the 70's, I went on the Carnival Mardi Gras with my then DH.

We had an inside cabin with bunk beds. Of course, those cabins are always so dark that you literally can't see your hand in front of your face.

I was on the top bunk, and one night I felt the ship listing severely to the left (or so I thought). I woke up my DH and told him I thought the ship was sinking.

He turned on the lights and started to laugh. My bunk had started folding into the wall with me in it!

After that, I was somewhat reluctant to book an inside cabin!

That would have made me reluctant to ever book an inside cabin again, for sure.