Considering Insignia

Mermen

We're considering a PH1, 2 or 3 on the Southampton to NY cruise next Fall. Itinerary looks great with 3 ports in Ireland.

I have a couple of questions for those who could kindly provide an answer for us:

1) Celebrity has been our line of choice, and have been on one R3 ship (Princess). I like the size of the Insignia! For any who have sailed on =X= and Oceania, are there major differences? Primarily we're focused more on the quality of service offered (which we feel =X= has hands down over Princess).

2) Are tables for 2 hard to come by? If staying in a PH, if it matters?

3) Dress code at supper in any of the venues?

4) The fares on their website are reflective of all current specials, and airfare. Is there a price difference if we book our own air - has anyone used their air and upgraded to Business or 1st class?

I apologize if any of these are recent repeat questions. New to your thread, thanks everyone! :)

We're considering a PH1, 2 or 3 on the Southampton to NY cruise next Fall. Itinerary looks great with 3 ports in Ireland.

I have a couple of questions for those who could kindly provide an answer for us:

1) Celebrity has been our line of choice, and have been on one R3 ship (Princess). I like the size of the Insignia! For any who have sailed on =X= and Oceania, are there major differences? Primarily we're focused more on the quality of service offered (which we feel =X= has hands down over Princess). Cannot comment never tried X

2) Are tables for 2 hard to come by? If staying in a PH, if it matters?

Not usually a problem .. depends on the timing

3) Dress code at supper in any of the venues? Casual but they request no jeans or shorts at dinner exception may be the Terrace Cafe

4) The fares on their website are reflective of all current specials, and airfare. Is there a price difference if we book our own air - has anyone used their air and upgraded to Business or 1st class? You will get a small credit for cruise only

Cannot help with the upgrade question

I apologize if any of these are recent repeat questions. New to your thread, thanks everyone! :)

I would also use the search feature (top right on main page of this forum)

Many question will have been answered ;)

Edited by LHT28

Previous offers from Oceania to business class have been quite expensive. Much cheaper to do it on your own.

Celebrity has Oceania beat in entertainment. Oceania's food is better. Beds are better too on Oceania. I would give Oceania a slight edge on service while on board as well in comparison.

The question of using O's air and upgrading to biz or first depends on O's contract with the airline. We found that we could NOT upgrade with miles on Delta flights. (Millennium members, however, can.)

The thing is to check with your airline and then make the decision.

Many of us just take the credit (no longer as good an offer as in the past) and book on our own air.

Your accommodations don't affect your ability to get a table for two. Frankly, we've more often been given a table for two when we wanted to share with others than been denied a table for two. (We prefer to share.)

As Lyn said, the availability can depend on what time you arrive at the restaurant. If you're booking in a specialty restaurant, just ask for a table for two and you will get it. If in the Grand Dining Room or Terrace, it's conceivable no tables for two would be available, but not all that likely.

Mura

Mura

1) Celebrity has been our line of choice, and have been on one R3 ship (Princess). I like the size of the Insignia! For any who have sailed on =X= and Oceania, are there major differences? Primarily we're focused more on the quality of service offered (which we feel =X= has hands down over Princess).

Celebrity has it's fans, but Oceania is pretty much universally recognized as "THE LINE" for operation and service on the so called R Ships.

You'll find the Specialty restaurants less glitzy on Oceania, and there aren't any World Class "Nautiques" either, but the food is fabulous, the service amazing and there aren't any extra charges for dining in the Specialties.

Entertainment is much more low key, frankly this isn't Oceania's strong point, and unlike Celebrity none of the Lounges "get going" after midnight.

Are tables for 2 hard to come by? If staying in a PH, if it matters

Not hard to come by at all, although only the Specialty Restaurants may be reserved ahead. The other Restaurants seat passengers as they arrive, but two tops are not rare by any means.

Dress code at supper in any of the venues?

Country Club Casual, throughout the ship at all hours.

The fares on their website are reflective of all current specials, and airfare. Is there a price difference if we book our own air?

Yes, there is an "Air Credit" which will be deducted from the full price of the Cruise if you opt to book it without Oceania Air Arrangements. Those credits are regional and vary determined on where you are flying out of and/or flying to.

Has anyone used their air and upgraded to Business or 1st class?

Yes, we have done that several times successfully, usually by having Oceania purchase upgrade-able Coach seats on our behalf, and then upgrading with miles.

Although using Oceania Air is not always the least expensive option, we ALWAYS price our air arrangements both with Oceania and independently.

Every once in a while we get a WOW rate through the cruise line.

Oceania is a definite upgrade from Celebrity in all respects save the entertainment - although we enjoy it well enough.

Celebrity definitely beats Oceania in price and cost of shore excursions but Oceania wins the rest, IMO.

Try it - you'll like :D

Celebrity has it's fans, but Oceania is pretty much universally recognized as "THE LINE" for operation and service on the so called R Ships.

You'll find the Specialty restaurants less glitzy on Oceania, and there aren't any World Class "Nautiques" either, but the food is fabulous, the service amazing and there aren't any extra charges for dining in the Specialties.

Entertainment is much more low key, frankly this isn't Oceania's strong point, and unlike Celebrity none of the Lounges "get going" after midnight.

Not hard to come by at all, although only the Specialty Restaurants may be reserved ahead. The other Restaurants seat passengers as they arrive, but two tops are not rare by any means.

Country Club Casual, throughout the ship at all hours.

Yes, there is an "Air Credit" which will be deducted from the full price of the Cruise if you opt to book it without Oceania Air Arrangements. Those credits are regional and vary determined on where you are flying out of and/or flying to.

Yes, we have done that several times successfully, usually by having Oceania purchase upgrade-able Coach seats on our behalf, and then upgrading with miles.

Although using Oceania Air is not always the least expensive option, we ALWAYS price our air arrangements both with Oceania and independently.

Every once in a while we get a WOW rate through the cruise line.

I've seen the term "r"ships used alot. Please explain. Thanks

Renaissance Cruiselines built 8 ships called R1 through R8. After Ren's bankruptcy, Oceania eventually acquired R1, R2 and R5 -- now Insignia, Regatta and Nautica respectively. Azamara has (I believe) R7 and R8. Princess also had two of them as I recall.

So they are known as the "R" ships. It's helpful on this board to distinguish between the three original ships and the new creations, Marina and Riviera, which are called "O" ships.

Mura

Renaissance Cruiselines built 8 ships called R1 through R8. After Ren's bankruptcy, Oceania eventually acquired R1, R2 and R5 -- now Insignia, Regatta and Nautica respectively. Azamara has (I believe) R7 and R8. Princess also had two of them as I recall.

So they are known as the "R" ships. It's helpful on this board to distinguish between the three original ships and the new creations, Marina and Riviera, which are called "O" ships.

Mura

Thanks for the info. :)

Mura

Mura, Princess actually had 3 for a short time, but one was transferred to P&O (like Princess, also owned by Carnival) and is currently named Adonia.

I've seen the term "r"ships used alot. Please explain. Thanks

There are a lot of other differences between "R" ships and the newer "O" ships, specifically tonnage, length, capacity, crew to guest ratio. "R" ships could be classified as very large yachts. I think that most dedicated Oceania cruisers will agree, the primary appeal of the "R" ship is intimacy;

"R" Ship Specification:

Year Built: 1998 (Depends on the ship)

Year Refurbished: 2011 (Depends on the ship)

Gross Tonnage: 30,277

Length: 593.7 feet

Beam: 83.5 feet

Max. Draught: 19.5 feet

Stabilizers: Yes

Cruising Speed: 18 knots

Electric Power or Voltage: 110,220 AC

Guest Capacity (double occupancy): 684

Crew Size: 400

Guest-to-Staff Ratio: 1.71 to 1

"O" Ship Specification:

Year Built: 2012

Tonnage: 66,084

Length: 785 feet

Beam: 106 feet

Maximum Draught: 24 feet

Stabilizers: Yes

Cruising Speed: 20 knots

Guest Decks: 11

Total Decks: 15

Electric Power or Voltage: 110, 220 AC

Guest Capacity: 1,250 (Double Occupancy)

Staff Size: 800

Guest to Staff Ratio: 1.57 to 1

Edited by Offroad911

Do try Insignia by all means! You will love the intimate size of the R ships once you try them. We have sailed both of Azamara's R's as well as Oceania's Regatta, and are currently booked on the Insignia for next September.

For our September trip - Monte Carlo/Southampton - we are doing our own air (and took the credit!) since we were going to have to do an air deviation flying into and out of CDG for a post cruise week in Paris, and we were able to secure our desired flights with frequent flyer points. A win-win situation, we believe.

As has been stated before, you can't beat O's service and food, on either the R or O ships, although their senior staff are not quite as accessible as are Azamara's. The Oceania staff is more stand-offish, in my opinion. Not that I need to be coddled, but when I smile and say hello to anyone I do expect the courtesy of the same from them. I don't expect a conversation, but a simple 'hello' would be nice. ;)

Donna

Do try Insignia by all means! You will love the intimate size of the R ships once you try them. We have sailed both of Azamara's R's as well as Oceania's Regatta' date=' and are currently booked on the Insignia for next September.

For our September trip - Monte Carlo/Southampton - we are doing our own air (and took the credit!) since we were going to have to do an air deviation flying into and out of CDG for a post cruise week in Paris, and we were able to secure our desired flights with frequent flyer points. A win-win situation, we believe.

As has been stated before, you can't beat O's service and food, on either the R or O ships, although their senior staff are not quite as accessible as are Azamara's. The Oceania staff is more stand-offish, in my opinion. Not that I need to be coddled, but when I smile and say hello to [u']anyone[/u] I do expect the courtesy of the same from them. I don't expect a conversation, but a simple 'hello' would be nice. ;)

Donna

As you have probably seen in another forum, we're also booked on this cruise. We haven't booked air yet. We got credit because we are going day earlier and staying longer. What I'm looking into now is going from LeVerdon to Bordeaux on our own. Cost,distance,time etc.

Appreciate the helpful feedback to our questions.

Yes, we've tried an R ship and loved the intimate and "country club" -esque feel. The service (pacific princess) was shameful, at best, but loved the ship and itinerary.

I'm aware that every cruise line has "fans", so wasn't speaking to that. We all find a product that works for our particular taste...and "universal" is subjective I feel. Was simply asking about the difference, for those who have tried Celebrity and Oceania. :). We're not "clubbers" so don't care about late evening venues. We do enjoy options but prefer low-key, quiet times.

Interesting that the excursions are more pricey on O; I assume it's because the quality is greater than larger lines, or the patronage is smaller?

Thanks for the great info. Happy cruising!!

Edited by Mermen