Advantages of buying drink package on line before boarding

WWbytheSEA

Is there any advantage of buying the alcohol drink package online versus when I get on ship. Paying for it now on a credit card versus the charge showing up at the end of the cruise is not really a factor. If I pay for it online, will my cruise card not have a sticker on it. That's really my question, as I don't really want to have to wait in a guest service line if the sticker falls off and I need a new one. I think I remember reading here that if you buy the soda package in advance, it is already embossed or something like that on your card with no stickers to deal with.

Is there any advantage of buying the alcohol drink package online versus when I get on ship. Paying for it now on a credit card versus the charge showing up at the end of the cruise is not really a factor. If I pay for it online, will my cruise card not have a sticker on it. That's really my question, as I don't really want to have to wait in a guest service line if the sticker falls off and I need a new one. I think I remember reading here that if you buy the soda package in advance, it is already embossed or something like that on your card with no stickers to deal with.

Correct, if you buy the soda package ahead of time, your sea pass will have the Coke logo printed on as opposed to the sticker...

For those of you planning to buy the soda package on ships with a Freestyle Machine I strongly recommend buying it ON BOARD and not ahead of time.

We booked ahead of time on Allure, and then couldn't get Freestyles until they opened up the cabins for us to get our cups that were waiting for us.

On Enchantment last week we bought it as soon as we boarded and had a Freestyle in hand about three minutes after setting foot on the ship!

For those of you planning to buy the soda package on ships with a Freestyle Machine I strongly recommend buying it ON BOARD and not ahead of time.

We booked ahead of time on Allure, and then couldn't get Freestyles until they opened up the cabins for us to get our cups that were waiting for us.

On Enchantment last week we bought it as soon as we boarded and had a Freestyle in hand about three minutes after setting foot on the ship!

I can see both sides of the coin, but in my case I would rather be without the cup for 2 hours and not have to worry about the sticker falling / washing off and then wasting time going to guest services to get it replaced.

The big advantage is the first thing you do, is go get a drink, instead of waiting in line to buy the package, than getting the first drink. Since it's the same price, the advantage is one less thing to take care of on first day, and less hassle.

I never bought the soda package yet. But I was wondering if their was a way to use the Freestyle machines without having to carry around that cup all day? Seems like a "PITA" to me.

The only way is to have someone else carry it for you:eek:

No, not trying to upset you.

At this time the "chip" is embedded in your cup, so the only way to us it is to use a programmed cup to get the benefits of the freestyle machine.

In the evening we just get our diet coke fountain style from the bars, instead of carrying around the cup.

Sea Ya

The only way is to have someone else carry it for you:eek:

No, not trying to upset you.

At this time the "chip" is embedded in your cup, so the only way to us it is to use a programmed cup to get the benefits of the freestyle machine.

In the evening we just get our diet coke fountain style from the bars, instead of carrying around the cup.

Sea Ya

Nothing about soda would ever upset me :)

They should make a new style machine that just allows you to swipe your seapass card. Then the machine dispenses a cup that they can recycle later. That could be a way to eliminate carrying around the cup all day.

Some one also mentioned that you do not pay tax on it if you pay before hand, but if you buy it on the ship you do...is that true?

You would pay the same price, online or on board. There may be a small number of exceptions to that for sailings out of Spain, and subject to the VAT tax.

If you have the soda package, would you still be able to get a non-Freestyle soda from one of the bars or such if you didn't have your cup with you?

Yes.

Nothing about soda would ever upset me :)

They should make a new style machine that just allows you to swipe your seapass card. Then the machine dispenses a cup that they can recycle later. That could be a way to eliminate carrying around the cup all day.

How true, everything else is done with the SEA PASS card, this too should be activated with the machine.......

Writing the CEO now!!!!!!:eek:

Everyone should!!!!!!!:D

Sea Ya

How true, everything else is done with the SEA PASS card, this too should be activated with the machine.......

Writing the CEO now!!!!!!:eek:

Everyone should!!!!!!!:D

Sea Ya

I thought it was a great idea.........lol. I am just one of these types of people who hates to carry stuff around. I don't own a wallet. I just wrap some cash around a few credit cards and shove it in my pocket. I don't carry around a cellphone either. It stays in the car or on my kitchen table :)

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone respond the OP's initial question which was about the alcohol package, not the soda package. I have no first hand knowledge of this but have read on this board that sometimes, if you have a non-drinking adult(s) in your cabin, if you wait until you're on-board you may be able to talk the person selling you the package into only selling it to you (not every adult in the cabin). I have also read of some people bringing a physicians note for the non-drinker as "proof" they do not imbibe. If you buy online, you definitely have to buy it for every adult in the cabin.

Edited by joepeka

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone respond the OP's initial question which was about the alcohol package, not the soda package. I have no first hand knowledge of this but have read on this board that sometimes, if you have a non-drinking adult(s) in your cabin, if you wait until you're on-board you may be able to talk the person selling you the package into only selling it to you (not every adult in the cabin). I have also read of some people bringing a physicians note for the non-drinker as "proof" they do not imbibe. If you buy online, you definitely have to buy it for every adult in the cabin.

I am new to cruising and am going on RC early next year but from my research I believe the new drink packages do not need to be purchased by everyone in the cabin. I hope I am not mistaken as I will be travelling with someone who wants the package but I do not drink that much.

They changed that policy as of 12/1/13. Not everyone in the cabin needs to buy the package any longer.

One advantage to buying on board is if you have any on board credit it can be used toward the purchase. You cannot use OBC for anything that you buy ahead of time.

I never bought the soda package yet. But I was wondering if their was a way to use the Freestyle machines without having to carry around that cup all day? Seems like a "PITA" to me.

I completely agree. I'd never get any use of the package as I'd never carry the thing around with me.