Has anyone taken a South America / Antarctica cruise?

OnTheJourney

I have just made an inquiry regarding private tours for the Falkland Islands, as we are thinking about taking the Zaandam trip down there. I was informed by one of the guides that HAL have such a bad reputation for cancelling the Zaandam's visits (sometimes only a few days ahead of the proposed visit) that he declined to make any bookings for Zaandam passengers! :(

I have just made an inquiry regarding private tours for the Falkland Islands, as we are thinking about taking the Zaandam trip down there. I was informed by one of the guides that HAL have such a bad reputation for cancelling the Zaandam's visits (sometimes only a few days ahead of the proposed visit) that he declined to make any bookings for Zaandam passengers! :(

It actually has nothing to do with the Zaandam it's on many HAL ships..

The reason for the Captain to not make the call is: tendering into the Falklands can be very rough, & sometimes treacherous because of frequent storms & high seas in that area.. HAL Captains have to think of most of HAL's Psgrs. who are up in age, & may have a difficult time getting into & out of a bouncing tender.. Plus he is responsible to see that the Crew is safe & can get the Psgrs .back to the ship safely..

Other companies may have a younger demographic & not care as much as HAL does about the Psgrs .& Crew, but I rather doubt it.. I 'm sure other cruise line Capt's are just as careful..

However, you can book a private tour right on the dock in the Falklands, which we did & loved it..

Betty

Have you tried Estancia Excursions? At the time I was facing the exact same problem and Nyree was very accomodating

Edited by monina01

Wow! Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I believe the options I would pursue, based on everything I've been reading, is to either fly both ways if doing a small expedition ship or to do a cruise or cruisetour (Celebrity, Collette, Tauck, HAL) if opting for the large ship experience. What I won't take a chance on is to sail the Drake on a smaller ship - that just seems to be too much of an invitation to spend several days feeling sick. Paying for the smaller expedition ship experience is not an issue. I truly appreciate ALL the replies. Now all I need to do is to find someone here who has flown the Drake and find out what it was like. I know someone in one of my threads mentioned that he'd be more scared of flying the Drake than sailing across it!

Regards,

Keith

I am glad you have it sorted out.

Our best cruise ever (with stiff competition) was from Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro. I wish we could have taken a cruise that sailed past Antarctica. I considered a pricey shore excursion flight to Antarctica; it was cancelled anyway for lack of bookings. I also wish we could have visited Iguazu Falls.

It actually has nothing to do with the Zaandam it's on many HAL ships..

The reason for the Captain to not make the call is: tendering into the Falklands can be very rough, & sometimes treacherous because of frequent storms & high seas in that area.. HAL Captains have to think of most of HAL's Psgrs. who are up in age, & may have a difficult time getting into & out of a bouncing tender.. Plus he is responsible to see that the Crew is safe & can get the Psgrs .back to the ship safely..

Other companies may have a younger demographic & not care as much as HAL does about the Psgrs .& Crew, but I rather doubt it.. I 'm sure other cruise line Capt's are just as careful..

However, you can book a private tour right on the dock in the Falklands, which we did & loved it..

Betty

My understanding was that these cancellations were made in advance of the proposed visit and not due to weather on the day. I would have thought that Celebrity would have been in a similar position to HAL when it came to tendering. :confused:

My understanding was that these cancellations were made in advance of the proposed visit and not due to weather on the day. I would have thought that Celebrity would have been in a similar position to HAL when it came to tendering. :confused:

Yes believe you are correct about Celebrity...

Hmmm, I don't know when this happened, but last year or before there was a bserious discussion an this board about HAL not being permitted to go into Argentina because they were stopping in the Falklands.. The two countries were not getting along & we all wondered what would eventually happen..

It seems this was strictly the Argentinian Port Authorities which were taking this stand.. Is it possible that the Capt asked the Psgrs to decide if they wanted to go into the Falklands & forego Argentina or vice versa or did he make the decision because of concern for the ships crew & Psgrs safety? :confused:

Unfortunately, I don't remember the outcome of the argument between the two countries, but our ship did go into both countries this past January.. Maybe our Capt. was able to get clearance from both or perhaps the cold war between the two has been settled..

If you do a search you might be able to find the threads which were discussing this problem..I would love to know why myself..

Found one thread on the subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1919182&highlight=argentina+%26+falklands

See Posts NO. 4 - 6 & 7

Will keep posting if I find more..Here is an article about the same thing: http://en.mercopress.com/2012/12/12/falklands-dispute-triggers-concern-among-argentine-tourism-operators-after-two-cruises-omit-ushuaia

Another thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753856&highlight=argentina+%26+falklands

Another thread from summer 2012: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1652551&highlight=argentina+%26+falklands Post 4

There are lots more threads just do a search.. Now I understand what the problem is.. It's either the weather or politics..Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get along?

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Wow...The argument/war between the two countries is escalating.. On Nov. 28 Argentina declared war on the Falkland Island oil reserves..

See this news release: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/445696/Argentina-declares-war-on-falkland-island-oil-reserves-las-malvinas-exploration

I Googled both & got lots more info about the two countries..

Perhaps you should think twice about trying to book anything for the Falklands at this time.. I'ts a shame. that this has to happen...

Betty

Wow...The argument/war between the two countries is escalating.. On Nov. 28 Argentina declared war on the Falkland Island oil reserves..

See this news release: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/445696/Argentina-declares-war-on-falkland-island-oil-reserves-las-malvinas-exploration

I Googled both & got lots more info about the two countries..

Perhaps you should think twice about trying to book anything for the Falklands at this time.. I'ts a shame. that this has to happen...

Betty

Certainly you need to realize that you may miss the Falklands... I would not let it stop me from booking if there were other ports I wanted to see and the weather can also make a change. Falklands, Easter Islands, the Faroes .... some spots rather commonly missed. But when you get in they are great.

Susan

When we left Ush (we were not able to dock or tender as the wind came up strongly) we went on to port williams, chile to get it recorded as a port (though only the pilots came out). Per our captain this would allow us to go to the Falklands after Antarctica. (We therefore were not going directly from Argentina to Falklands, but Argentina to chile then Falklands.)

As it turned out we got weathered out of Falklands and ended up sailing for Puerto Madryn. Princess was in Falklands the day we would have been in and they had to abort tendering.

I believe the legislation is the Gaucho Rivero law Argentina passed about a year and a half ago.

Check out the cruises run by Hurtigruten -

http://www.hurtigruten.us/Ships/

They run Antarctica cruises using the Fram which is larger than the expedition ships and holds ~250 passengers. It also has stabilizers. When we did Antarctica in the Nordkapp which is another Hurtigrutin ship, we did 10 landings.

I am not saying that the Drake passage even on this ship will be totally calm but it will be less rocky than the round bottom polar icebreakers.

DON

They run Antarctica cruises using the Fram which is larger than the expedition ships and holds ~250 passengers. It also has stabilizers. When we did Antarctica in the Nordkapp which is another Hurtigrutin ship, we did 10 landings.

I am not saying that the Drake passage even on this ship will be totally calm but it will be less rocky than the round bottom polar icebreakers.

DON

Yes, but....$$$$$$$$$$$ ;)

Certainly you need to realize that you may miss the Falklands... I would not let it stop me from booking if there were other ports I wanted to see and the weather can also make a change. Falklands, Easter Islands, the Faroes .... some spots rather commonly missed. But when you get in they are great.

Susan

Susan since you quoted me, I believe you mis-interpreted my post..I was not implying that he should not book a cruise..All I was suggesting was he not try to book a land tour in the Falklands until he arrives there..His previous posts were only about private land tours ..He stated the Zaandam often skips the Falklands & a private guide would not take his land tour booking..

Betty

Yes believe you are correct about Celebrity...

Hmmm, I don't know when this happened, but last year or before there was a bserious discussion an this board about HAL not being permitted to go into Argentina because they were stopping in the Falklands.. The two countries were not getting along & we all wondered what would eventually happen..

It seems this was strictly the Argentinian Port Authorities which were taking this stand.. Is it possible that the Capt asked the Psgrs to decide if they wanted to go into the Falklands & forego Argentina or vice versa or did he make the decision because of concern for the ships crew & Psgrs safety? :confused:

Unfortunately, I don't remember the outcome of the argument between the two countries, but our ship did go into both countries this past January.. Maybe our Capt. was able to get clearance from both or perhaps the cold war between the two has been settled..

If you do a search you might be able to find the threads which were discussing this problem..I would love to know why myself..

Found one thread on the subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1919182&highlight=argentina+%26+falklands

See Posts NO. 4 - 6 & 7

Will keep posting if I find more..Here is an article about the same thing: http://en.mercopress.com/2012/12/12/falklands-dispute-triggers-concern-among-argentine-tourism-operators-after-two-cruises-omit-ushuaia

Another thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753856&highlight=argentina+%26+falklands

Another thread from summer 2012: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1652551&highlight=argentina+%26+falklands Post 4

There are lots more threads just do a search.. Now I understand what the problem is.. It's either the weather or politics..Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get along?

Betty

Thank you for posting the links, Betty. It certainly is an ongoing and developing situation. I am glad that HAL/Carnival is standing up to Argentina, at least a bit, so they are not getting it all their own way. I would very much like to visit the Falkland Islands, even though it meant missing all of the Argentinian ports. The part about the 'radical thugs' boarding the Seabourn ship in BA, is quite scary!

Susan since you quoted me, I believe you mis-interpreted my post..I was not implying that he should not book a cruise..All I was suggesting was he not try to book a land tour in the Falklands until he arrives there..His previous posts were only about private land tours ..He stated the Zaandam often skips the Falklands & a private guide would not take his land tour booking..

Betty

Yep, I misread you on that one.... sorry. Hope all that want to get into the Falklands do as it a great place, especially if you like penquins (which I do). I missed it on my first try (the QE2 and we of course could not stop anywhere in Argentina either).... made it on the second attempt on the Amsterdam. Part of the fun of cruising is seeing where you end up.

Susan

Just love the way the media is saying "Cruise Ship Stuck in Ice in Antarctica" but the real story is that this is an expedition ship!

http://io9.com/antarctic-expedition-ship-is-trapped-in-sea-ice-1489504865

Thanks for the link. Toward the bottom there's a link to the first 2 nova videos about a reenactment of shackletons voyage. I'm bookmarking to watch after work tonight

Just love the way the media is saying "Cruise Ship Stuck in Ice in Antarctica" but the real story is that this is an expedition ship!

http://io9.com/antarctic-expedition-ship-is-trapped-in-sea-ice-1489504865

Sounds like fun being stuck in the ice. I would love to be on that ship. My wife probably not so much.

DON

• 2 months later...

We just returned from the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise which left on Jan. 29th. It was fantastic. There is no need to set foot on the beach. Twelve workers from USA,s Palmer Station came out in zodiacs and boarded our ship for the day. It was not easy given the wind and waves. We spent four days sailing the waters of Antarctica, one day with sunshine and blue skies before experiencing the Drake Passage on our way to Ushuaia. The storm was so bad, with thirty feet waves and a 10% list of the ship, we had to bypass Cape Horn. Thus, we had plenty of excitement. I don't think I would have wanted to be in a smaller ship. We walked among thousands of penguins in the Falklands and another port. From start to finish it was a wonderful experience. The next opportunity will be in Dec. 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DON

SO going on my bucket list!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

We just returned from the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise which left on Jan. 29th. It was fantastic. There is no need to set foot on the beach. Twelve workers from USA,s Palmer Station came out in zodiacs and boarded our ship for the day. It was not easy given the wind and waves. We spent four days sailing the waters of Antarctica, one day with sunshine and blue skies before experiencing the Drake Passage on our way to Ushuaia. The storm was so bad, with thirty feet waves and a 10% list of the ship, we had to bypass Cape Horn. Thus, we had plenty of excitement. I don't think I would have wanted to be in a smaller ship. We walked among thousands of penguins in the Falklands and another port. From start to finish it was a wonderful experience. The next opportunity will be in Dec. 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm so green with envy. It's been a bit more than a year since we got back and there isn't a day that I'm not thankful I went and that I think about. Your return through Drake sounds fun..... We didn't quite get Drake Lake but definately not the excitement you had.

Did Antarctica in 1997 on the Marco Polo, which could hold 800 passengers, but was only allowed 400 on the Antarctica cruise. We had 5 onshore excursions and it was wonderful. It's truly a beautiful part of the world.

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

HAL 4* ....................Princess ELITE