Which Ship for Caribbean

RocketMan275

DW and I are recently retired. Both are active and in our mid to late sixties. One cruise on Royal and another scheduled on Princess. Would really like to try Holland. Thinking about an Eastern Caribbean cruise of seven days in 2015. Which ship would you recommend? Currently choices are: Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, or Westerdam. Most likely booking a suite. Aft preferred.

I've sailed both N. Amsterdam and Eurodam, and I found the Eurodam was slightly 'better'. It had a different atmosphere than the N. Amsterdam, although they're sister ships and almost identical. I can't explain why this is so, but you'll hear it from a lot of people who've sailed both.

Haven't been on the Westerdam yet, so I can't comment on that. Although it's a smaller ship than the 2 others. I think the Tamarind on both Eurodam and N. Amsterdam are a tremendous addition if you like food on your cruise.

DW and I are recently retired. Both are active and in our mid to late sixties. One cruise on Royal and another scheduled on Princess. Would really like to try Holland. Thinking about an Eastern Caribbean cruise of seven days in 2015. Which ship would you recommend? Currently choices are: Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, or Westerdam. Most likely booking a suite. Aft preferred.

1. Eurodam

2. Nieuw Amsterdam

Those ships are very similar, with only some minor differences. Mainly being the Tamarind and Cabanas on Eurodam and N. Amsterdam. For those additions, I would take N. Amsterdam or Eurodam. Westerdam may have Cabanas by your cruise.

After looking at the menu for Tamarind, I don't know what to say. That menu is absolutely fantastic. I think I'd have to do dinner there several times.

Since Westerdam does not have Tamarind, that almost seems like a deal killer. What would Westerdam have that would offset the lack of Tamarind?

After looking at the menu for Tamarind, I don't know what to say. That menu is absolutely fantastic. I think I'd have to do dinner there several times.

Since Westerdam does not have Tamarind, that almost seems like a deal killer. What would Westerdam have that would offset the lack of Tamarind?

Nothing that N. Amsterdam or Eurodam don't have. That is why I recommended N. Amsterdam or Eurodam. We have been on all three. Nothing wrong with Westerdam, but it doesn't have Tamarind. Remember, Westerdam is the older model of ship, built before Tamarind was created.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Can you please tell me which differences? Must've been small ones than, because other than different art and some minor changes, I haven't noticed that much different on the ship itself. To me, it was more an atmosphere thing.

Can you expand on the 'atmosphere thing'? Not sure what you meant? Which ship had the better 'atmosphere' and why was it better?

The private cabanas on public decks would be my reason NOT to take the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. It is hard for me to see the loss of one side of the Lido pool deck as a plus.

The Westerdam has the more favorable passenger to space ratio among the three ships. Of course the Westerdam also wins for fewer passengers overall for the single points of congestion such as the gangway, tender boats and Lido buffet in general.

igraf

Those ships are very similar, with only some minor differences. Mainly being the Tamarind and Cabanas on Eurodam and N. Amsterdam. For those additions, I would take N. Amsterdam or Eurodam. Westerdam may have Cabanas by your cruise.

The private cabanas on public decks would be my reason NOT to take the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. It is hard for me to see the loss of one side of the Lido pool deck as a plus.

The Westerdam has the more favorable passenger to space ratio among the three ships. Of course the Westerdam also wins for fewer passengers overall for the single points of congestion such as the gangway, tender boats and Lido buffet in general.

igraf

I was looking for information like that. Thanks so much.

Wondering ... which of these ships have AFT suites ... not just a balcony but a full suite?

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

The Vista class ships are great but we really enjoy the smaller ships like the Maasdam or Ryndam even more. Starting Jan 17 we are doing 3 weeks on the Maasdam then 3 weeks on the Noordam:D

Thank you for your insights but I don't think either of those ships will work for us. Really like the aft balconies.

Can you expand on the 'atmosphere thing'? Not sure what you meant? Which ship had the better 'atmosphere' and why was it better?

I know it sounds weird, but a lot of people I've spoken to, share the same feeling. It's not something we can explain. It's just the Eurodam had something special over her.

I can't determine it by words. It's a feeling you got about a certain place.

But I know this is most likely a personal feeling and some other people might have the same feeling about the N. Amsterdam

I was looking for information like that. Thanks so much.

This is not true.

Unfortunately inaccurate information is still coming.

The Signature class ships are Vista class derivatives, but the difference is very serious.

More passenger cabins were added along with new public spaces and significant increase in open deck space.

The Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam now are two best ships in HAL fleet.

Moreover, with the introduction of these two ships Holland America Line entered the first row of the industry best modern resort ships.

Cabanas on Lido deck is nothing to talk about.

Yes, there are a few cabanas there, and I would remove them today if it were up to my decision.

HOWEVER, those cabanas are never a "loss of one side of the Lido pool deck".

They take just a fraction of that space and are not an issue.

The post above is misleading.

Some readers may think about those cabanas found on Celebrity ships and the Royal Princess that take up premium public space.

This is not the case with HAL ships.

Space ratio.

It has been explained so many times that open space (sun decks and pools) that is the most precious space in tropical cruises are not included in space ratio calculation.

They exist, we use them actively but they are not included.

Besides the added Tamarind restaurant and Silk Den lounge, the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have significantly larger open decks.

Back to cabanas.

Signature class ships have Retreat Cabanas area that has been designed (originally) for that purpose.

Vista class ships are being retrofitted with cabanas. For those ships cabanas are an afterthought. And this is the Vista class where cabanas actually take up deck space. More passenger cabins are being added as well.

So please forget about passenger space ratio comparison.

Please take time to look at the comparison. Some changes are closely related to aft suites you are going to book.

:) Lido Deck. Find a Cabana :)

24d4pr6.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

I know it sounds weird, but a lot of people I've spoken to, share the same feeling. It's not something we can explain. It's just the Eurodam had something special over her.

I can't determine it by words. It's a feeling you got about a certain place.

But I know this is most likely a personal feeling and some other people might have the same feeling about the N. Amsterdam

Feels like home? Something very comfortable?

We have sailed on all 3 ships and do like all 3 ships.

But if I had to choose -- I would sail on either the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Eurodam because these ships have the Silk Den for cocktails and the Tamarind Restaurant for Pan Asian food which we love.

Now -- of the these 2 ships, we like the décor of the Nieuw Amsterdam over the Eurodam.

JMO

Would you tell me why? Would like to match your preferences with mine.

For me, I love the tamarind. I also like the cabanas. You will not get that on the Westerdam. I spent 15 days on the Eurodam in October and all the crew seemed very happy. I know that is something that is changeable. Hope this helps.