Captain's Club Revamp- Stinks for me!

Tenderpaw

After reading through this thread, about all I can add is:

Life isn't fair, then you die.

How do we want to be remembered, as someone who fussed their life away about a free loyalty program, or as someone who was great company, loved life and appreciated the gifts life gave them.

Some of us perhaps need to give our heads a shake.

So you wouldn't complain about having something that was promised (whether fair or not) taken away but you will complain about people who do and chastise them at the same time.:(

I had a booked cruise and am not getting old points for it, so you can say that it was taken away from me as well, as I had the expectations of that cruise making me Elite. But that particular cruise doesn't now because of the change. Am I complaining - a big no! Hopefully, that answers your question.

I had a booked cruise and am not getting old points for it, so you can say that it was taken away from me as well, as I had the expectations of that cruise making me Elite. But that particular cruise doesn't now because of the change. Am I complaining - a big no! Hopefully, that answers your question.

It does.:D

After reading through this thread, about all I can add is:

Life isn't fair, then you die.

How do we want to be remembered, as someone who fussed their life away about a free loyalty program, or as someone who was great company, loved life and appreciated the gifts life gave them.

Some of us perhaps need to give our heads a shake.

I think it has been well established that it is not a loyalty program but a reward program. If it was the former then the would have not treated the people who had booked and paid for cruises the way they did.

They are currently running a promotion offering 25 bonus points for certain bookings.

Does the prevailing logic on this thread mean that if they decide to cancel the bonus points between final payment and sailing, that would be OK? After all, it's "free."

The decision to choose to book a particular cruise includes many factors: itinerary, dates, line, ship, cabin, promised amenities, etc. Some people use a spreadsheet to decide between several choices. Change one of the factors, and the spreadsheet might favor a different cruise choice.

There is a legal concept called "reliance," which says that if you were induced to rely on a promise in making a contract the other party can't cancel the deal. I know the Celebrity contract gives them the right to change all of the above factors, so I'm not making a legal argument. But most people intuitively understand why the "reliance" concept is fair, and I think it should help to understand why some posters feel cheated by the recent changes.

They are currently running a promotion offering 25 bonus points for certain bookings.

Does the prevailing logic on this thread mean that if they decide to cancel the bonus points between final payment and sailing, that would be OK? After all, it's "free."

The decision to choose to book a particular cruise includes many factors: itinerary, dates, line, ship, cabin, promised amenities, etc. Some people use a spreadsheet to decide between several choices. Change one of the factors, and the spreadsheet might favor a different cruise choice.

There is a legal concept called "reliance," which says that if you were induced to rely on a promise in making a contract the other party can't cancel the deal. I know the Celebrity contract gives them the right to change all of the above factors, so I'm not making a legal argument. But most people intuitively understand why the "reliance" concept is fair, and I think it should help to understand why some posters feel cheated by the recent changes.

Thank you Jazzbeau, well said.:D

Free isn't good enough for the OP. It has to be better than free - it has to be what he wants, not what is given to him. He must be a real pain to give presents to this time of year. He probably complains loudly about any present he gets that isn't what he thinks he deserves. :rolleyes:

Seriously? I'll bet you are real proud of this post! You so wittily made this personal. Amazing.

Nailed it!

I agree

So you wouldn't complain about having something that was promised (whether fair or not) taken away but you will complain about people who do and chastise them at the same time.:(

Well spoken. I am losing my 10% Galpagos discount due to Celebrity not counting my 2 previously booked cruises under the old Captain's Club program. One of the 2 was paid for on Nov15, 2013.

Tom:(

Seriously? I'll bet you are real proud of this post! You so wittily made this personal. Amazing.

You have your opinions, I have mine. Mine are that you are being unreasonable over a set of FREE perks. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. An adult throwing a tantrum because you aren't getting the bigger slice of pie you wanted. Boo hoo!

Celebrity also has the right to change the itinerary on any booking.

It sounds like some would also be fine with Celebrity doing that and cancelling all stops if they felt like it, because they can.

However, in each situation, a company damages their goodwill and trust by making changes to a deal - even if their terms permit them to.

Celebrity also has the right to change the itinerary on any booking.

It sounds like some would also be fine with Celebrity doing that and cancelling all stops if they felt like it, because they can.

However, in each situation, a company damages their goodwill and trust by making changes to a deal - even if their terms permit them to.

It is funny that when someone comes on here to complain that a cruise was cancelled after they had already purchaed their airfare or a port is missed (one that the poster really wanted to see) or the prices rise after full payment, some on here bash those posters saying it is Celebrity's right to cancel and/or change because it is in their contract and they should just live with it. Hmmmmm, where is the reliance here! But when it comes to the Captain's Club, it is totally a different story; they don't think Celebrity has the right to change the program. Seems to me that some people only believe Celebrity can make changes, that is unless it pertains to them, then it is wrong.

Edited by NLH Arizona

It is funny that when someone comes on here to complain that a cruise was cancelled after they had already purchaed their airfare or a port is missed (one that the poster really wanted to see) or the prices rise after full payment, some on here bash those posters saying it is Celebrity's right to cancel and/or change because it is in their contract and they should just live with it. Hmmmmm, where is the reliance here! But when it comes to the Captain's Club, it is totally a different story; they don't think Celebrity has the right to change the program. Seems to me that some people only believe Celebrity can make changes, that is unless it pertains to them, then it is wrong.

You may find that they are the same people in both cases rather than two differing groups.:D

Seems to me that some people only believe Celebrity can make changes, that is unless it pertains to them, then it is wrong.

Maybe so, but as said above, I don't know who you're specifically referring to.

However, I don't believe it changes the point of my comment, which was about the company's image and goodwill and trust, rather than about the consistency of a mysterious individual poster.

Furthermore, since yours is a comment on consistency anyway, it's not hard to find situations where Celebrity has been inconsistent. Examples abound!

And even exist in this specific case, with some people having the new scheme apply to them in some respects on a cruise, and the old scheme apply in other respects. So Celebrity appears to want to have it both ways...

You may find that they are the same people in both cases rather than two differing groups.:D

You are right, the ones that are telling those that complain that Celebrity has the right to make changes are the same ones that are complaining now that Celebrity made changes.

With the new levels in CC we are now Elite Plus with 840 points. We just booked our 3rd cruise of next year. So next year we will get 215 points. I'm happy with the new system.

As to the 123go. Since we are Elite Plus and we get the social hour with drinks. We take free gratuities. Richard

This is a very interesting thread. Both sides making understandable points.

I would point out though that there is a small number of us who fell into a strange, and not happy situation during this change. I, for example, had booked and paid for my 10th cruise, thinking "yay" I am now elite only to find after the fact I am not. I don't have a lot of money and can't cruise often (One of those who was unemployed for two years, etc., etc.) Obviously I was disappointed that I did not have enough points to take me there. I checked the website and did the math - was only given 16 bonus credits after my 9 cruises taking me to a total of 270 points. My previous cruises were from 7 to 11 nights in length and in different cabin categories, but all credited with the same points. Now, I really don't expect to make Elite.

No, this is not a big deal! The benefits to the Elite level are nothing that matters. It does not make any difference to my cruise experience. I love Celebrity and it will always be my cruise line of choice. I am so excited and looking forward to my cruise next month. I am disappointed however simply because being Elite to me was a milestone, a goal I had looked forward to reaching, something I was excited about. There is no dollar amount involved, just joy, happiness, a feeling of "making it". They have taken this from me and I do feel disappointment. I wish they could have handled it differently, at least for those few of us who were at that point of reaching a very looked forward to milestone. Maybe they should have created an extra category in between.

Anyway, I'm just saying...