Review of December 7 Sojourn sailing

travelingduo

We recently returned from the 10 day December 7 Caribbean cruise sailing on board the Sojourn. I have posted my member review and am awaiting the CC review of my submission, but expect it will be posted shortly. I realize that most of those on this Board are experienced with Seabourn and Sojourn, but I'm happy to answer any questions. :) Great trip and very impressed with Seabourn.

The May 13, '14 Mediterranean cruise will be our first luxury cruise and just our second cruise in all. On that first cruise to Hawaii it seemed the excusions booked through the cruise ship were somewhat disappointing. What is your opinion of the Seaborn excursions? Have you taken Seabourn to the Mediterranean by chance?

The May 13, '14 Mediterranean cruise will be our first luxury cruise and just our second cruise in all. On that first cruise to Hawaii it seemed the excusions booked through the cruise ship were somewhat disappointing. What is your opinion of the Seaborn excursions? Have you taken Seabourn to the Mediterranean by chance?

We did the Med in Sept (Istanbul to Venice). Did 3 SB excursions in 14 day cruise. The ones we chose were ones which we thought were a bit different and they were quite good. Most others we did private pre organized excursions. By the way, the cruise was unreal, loved every minute.

We did the Med in Sept (Istanbul to Venice). Did 3 SB excursions in 14 day cruise. The ones we chose were ones which we thought were a bit different and they were quite good. Most others we did private pre organized excursions. By the way, the cruise was unreal, loved every minute.

It's good to hear a positive report of the excursions and the cruise. Thanks!

Travelingduo: Just read your review very carefully. You did a very nice job of presenting a balanced picture of your experience. Kudos! We depart on the Sojourn on Saturday and it's good to know what to expect. I love the idea of ordering breakfast in the room each morning and having it appear in only 15 minutes! Will focus on Restaurant 2, since we look for inventive cuisine. Champagne in the room is not a concern, since we will drink plenty in the bars! Thanks so much for taking the time.

Thanks so much for your review, which I too found to be balanced and very helpful for Seabourn newbies. Glad that you enjoyed your first big sister SB cruise so much you've already booked the next!

I'm rather disconcerted by the news that the maitre d' wanted your suite number every time you went for dinner. That's new to my experience with SB and seems a bit odd. :confused: Perhaps someone can throw some light on this please?

Edited by Ravenscroft

During our last cruise on Silversea's Silver Spirit, we were having lunch in La Terrazza one day and decided to ask if there was any possibility of getting a dinner reservation there that evening. We were told no, but they would take our suite number and give us a call in the remote chance that anything should open up. As soon as we gave the number (a Silver Suite), an opening was suddenly found. RHIP?? Guess so.

We have been on two Seabourn cruises (both on Sojourn =38 days) and never ever had anyone ask for our suite number. I wonder if this is just a different practice of the dining room mangers. Would put us off a bit.

We have been on two Seabourn cruises (both on Sojourn =38 days) and never ever had anyone ask for our suite number. I wonder if this is just a different practice of the dining room mangers. Would put us off a bit.

In over 200 days on Seabourn we have never ever been asked for our suite number (except for an order of a special dish for the following evening). I can only think it is one particular Restaurant Manager who does this, unless it is a new policy (hope not).

It's a new system. Sojourn has it. If the others do not, they will have it soon. Not some kind of optional device to be used at the whim of RM.

They just want to make sure that all the diners are actually sailing with Seabourn :rolleyes:

We haven't (yet) been asked for our suite number on either Silversea or Seabourn.

Like Patti22 we were last on SB in July.

I do hope it isn't about some sort of "class segregation" by suite number.

Will be interested to see for ourselves on Sojourn in March, and I will certainly ask the question why.

They just want to make sure that all the diners are actually sailing with Seabourn :rolleyes:

We've just been joking to that effect, perhaps they suspect diners from other ships are being sent in by helicopter!

oregon50,

I am curious as to where you got this information? As i said in a previous post, this past July-Aug, this did not take place in any restaurant on Sojourn.

By being on Sojourn last month. I first saw the system in place on Silversea in November. Happy?

To Patti22 asking where this came from.... We were ON the Sojourn Dec 7 sailing. They asked everyone for their suite number in every dinner venue; MDR, Colonnade, and even the Patio Grill every night. If there was a party of more than two, they asked each couple for their suite numbers as well. I regret that I didn't ask why, but it was my first Seabourn cruise in 10 years and I just thought that is how Seabourn does business. I don't recall this on any of my 10 Silversea cruises, but perhaps they have changed as well as some have suggested.

I am not sure if this is a big sister, small sister difference but have just got of the Spirit on 21 December and they didn't ask us for our suite number ever.

Though I do have a vague recollection of them asking on our July sailing one time on Legend but that was because I was booking a table for ten and they issued invitations. Hmmm a mystery indeed.