Royal Princess Mini Review

sailing sue

I just booked this cruise an hour ago so I appreciate all the comments. The only thing I predict will be an issue (after reading the pros and cons) is the size of the balcony :( ...seems that it could feel a little cramped.

Thanks for the review.

As you've read opinions are very subjective & even on the same cruise can vary greatly.

The balconies are smaller but so we're the standard balconies on other Grand-class ships. I don't bring a tape measure but have read that the Royal has 9'x4' balconies vs 9'x5' on other ships. It wasn't an issue for us & we easily enjoyed a UBD on our balcony however others are unhappy about the smaller size. During our w/b TA the hot direct sunlight was too much for us so we used the deluxe balcony's couch more.

The Royal does have smaller balconies but not a deal breaker for us & we felt there were many more positives than a few negatives...just like any other cruise ship. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I sailed on the Royal from 12/8-15 and i really liked this ship. Is she perfect, no! But I feel compelled to counter some of the negative remark.

-I had no problem with the Fitness Center. i was usually there 8:30-9:00 and had no problem getting the machines/weights I wanted

-Th theater is a bit cramped, has no side aisles and no place for drinks.

-I LOVED the Seawalk. I was there morning, mid0day and night and loved the sensation of being suspended. I did not focus on balconies below finding they were no more exposed than tiered balconies on any other ship.

-Fountains. Take up too much real estate, but they were beautiful few times they were utilized

-Stairs. Only an issue if you have a very central room or are handicapped. Aft and forward stairs not that far from center. Easy walk to activities on each level.

-Cabanas. Agree these are a true waste.

Will I do Royal/Regal. Yes according to itinerary

...please kindly re-read my post. What exactly was negative about it?

As I said, we love the ship...and listed the items we enjoyed...and wrote that post with a smile.

Just two things:

1. I did not have any problems using the weights or weight machine as well......just thought I would mention that it was cramped. (This was based on being on the Independence of Seas for two weeks prior to boarding the Royal Princess. We were on the Royal Princess last week. Perhaps I should've mentioned what I was comparing it to.)

2. It appears the only feature we disagree on is the Sea Walk. You LOVED it. We felt it was useless. There should be no harm to disagree. "Different strokes for different folks". :)

2. It appears the only feature we disagree on is the Sea Walk. You LOVED it. We felt it was useless. There should be no harm to disagree. "Different strokes for different folks". :)

Like it or hate it, the Sea Walk is a feature that does not affect anyone who does not want to use it.

It's not like Princess would have put an additional pool there if it did not exist.

On the December 15th embark it was a mess! The worst I have ever seen it on many ships, Princess and others. We were there about 12 pm and had to wait in a huge winding line for about 1 hour. It was hot and claustrophobic. People arriving after us had to wait outside because there was no more room inside. The scanners were shut down as well.

However, disembarking was a breeze. My time was 8:45 am and I waited in the Symphony Dining Room. I was called to disembark around 8:55. I found my luggage without any incident and clearing customs was ever so easy.

Final thought on the Royal - she sure is a beautiful ship, full of fantastic features, however, manoevering around and about the outside decks is a real hassle. Not worth it to me. I will be sailing other Princess ships in the future.

...please kindly re-read my post. What exactly was negative about it?

As I said, we love the ship...and listed the items we enjoyed...and wrote that post with a smile.

Just two things:

1. I did not have any problems using the weights or weight machine as well......just thought I would mention that it was cramped. (This was based on being on the Independence of Seas for two weeks prior to boarding the Royal Princess. We were on the Royal Princess last week. Perhaps I should've mentioned what I was comparing it to.)

I also found the "Seawalk" to be fairly useless and lacking in purpose. If one want's to get technical, they might say that 90% (IMHO) of your view if you look directly down is not to the water but rather onto the "Promenade Patios" below.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed a cruise on the Royal. Was somewhat turned off by previous negative comments such as soot, placement of TP holders, etc. On one thread someone was going to cancel before setting foot on the Royal.

Feel I must put in my two cents worth--- The ship is beautiful. The Horizon Court on lido is fantastic. It is very open, the food presentation is a wonderful improvement. No more long lines because it is so open people are able to graze. The selection is much better. Loved the new bistro and pastry shop. They have the eating sections partitioned between the food and the tables, which offers some privacy, but does not take up space. Well done.

The area on 16, which is out the lido doors aft is heavenly. They have groupings of sofas, complete with coffee tables, etc. What a lovely spot to enjoy the sea. They have placed these groupings all around the ship. We met several interesting people while comfortably seated. Great for conversation.

The piazza is gorgeous. Was really great watching the passengers dance. We had several who were extremely good. The juggler, however, was light lightening. If you blinked his show was over.

Miss the promenade deck as walking is a favorite thing to do. The walking deck is quite nice up top. Sometimes change is difficult. Can see why they did it. The Zumba group had lots of room in the volleyball area. Vast improvement over crowding around the pool.

My only suggestion concerning elevators would be to link the sections of call buttons. People would push both sections and get on the first to arrive which made elevators stop for nothing.

We were also pleasantly surprised by changes of constantly NOT bugging passengers for pictures or drinks. The staff was always ready to serve, but not pushy.

Would I go on the Royal again? Answer is a resounding yes.

ot, my favourite place on the whole ship for daytime sunning is the aft smoking area on deck 17 aft . It is huge. I do not smoke, but you do not smell the smoke. There is a makeshift bar with a bartender, who is the one of the best! I think he is from Russia, but not exactly sure. For a really quiet day at sea, go there. You have your choice of many loungers and the view is the wake! Perfect for relaxation.

Thanks for your review. Keeping this info (above) for future reference. Sounds like a 'secret' place to check out on the Royal.;)

Just completed a cruise on the Royal. Was somewhat turned off by previous negative comments such as soot, placement of TP holders, etc. On one thread someone was going to cancel before setting foot on the Royal.

Feel I must put in my two cents worth--- The ship is beautiful. The Horizon Court on lido is fantastic. It is very open, the food presentation is a wonderful improvement. No more long lines because it is so open people are able to graze. The selection is much better. Loved the new bistro and pastry shop. They have the eating sections partitioned between the food and the tables, which offers some privacy, but does not take up space. Well done.

The area on 16, which is out the lido doors aft is heavenly. They have groupings of sofas, complete with coffee tables, etc. What a lovely spot to enjoy the sea. They have placed these groupings all around the ship. We met several interesting people while comfortably seated. Great for conversation.

The piazza is gorgeous. Was really great watching the passengers dance. We had several who were extremely good. The juggler, however, was light lightening. If you blinked his show was over.

Miss the promenade deck as walking is a favorite thing to do. The walking deck is quite nice up top. Sometimes change is difficult. Can see why they did it. The Zumba group had lots of room in the volleyball area. Vast improvement over crowding around the pool.

My only suggestion concerning elevators would be to link the sections of call buttons. People would push both sections and get on the first to arrive which made elevators stop for nothing.

We were also pleasantly surprised by changes of constantly NOT bugging passengers for pictures or drinks. The staff was always ready to serve, but not pushy.

Would I go on the Royal again? Answer is a resounding yes.

Thanks for your review. It is good to hear you had an enjoyable cruise and would cruise the Royal again.:D