Private shore excursions

Smallfamily

We explore on our own when we can but when we need an excursion we book thru the ship so we won't have to worry about being left behind and to be safe. However lately we are not happy with ship excursions, way too many people or not exactly what we wanted to do. So I'm wondering has anyone had a private excursion cause them to miss the ship or get into an unsafe position ?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you check out TripAdvisor and the Ports of Call forum you can find reliable tour operators. They know that their reputation is at stake if they get you back late. Although I know people who have done it, I would not take a tour from someone waiting at the pier who I know nothing about.

It's very rare--I've personally never heard of it happening, but of course it is possible--just not very likely.

We too have done dozens of private excursions; usually much better, and cheaper than ship tours--and have never even been close to being late. We do, however, pick tours that are scheduled back at least one hour ahead of the last boarding time--more if possible.

We also sometimes take tours we pick up on the dock and so far they have been good too--sometimes great.

Tour operators will do everything possible to prevent this, as their livelyhood depends on good reviews here and on other sites.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

If you get a guidebook on your ports, you may find you don't NEED an excursion at all! We almost never do any excursion, whether ship or private....we research our ports, and do our own thing!

As long as your watch is set to ship's time, there's no reason to worry about being left behind!

You've hit on a pet peeve of mine. :)

I quite frequently see posts on CC by folk stressing that ships will wait for a ship tour that's late back, but not for private tours.

Yet I've never seen anyone on CC or elsewhere quote an occasion when folk on a private tour have missed their sailing. Nor have I been told about one - not first-hand or second-hand or tenth-hand.

Doubtless it's happened, somewhere, sometime.

And one day someone will post about just such a thing - but it's already way too late to consider the risk as anything more than negligible.

Same broadly applies to DIY exploration - although there are plenty of examples of folk missing the sailing (just check out the pier-runners on YouTube), almost all are due to stupidity or alcohol.

Usually we DIY.

Sometimes we take private or shared tours.

And very occasionally a ship's tour.

No worries

JB :)

We usually take private excursions and never have even come close to returning late to the ship. Private excursions have so many more positives. You save money (sometimes a great deal), the tour will often give you some input in deciding upon the itinerary (special stops, photo ops, etc.), travel in a van with a handful of people rather than a bus of 30-40, do not have to spend so much time waiting for the others to get back to the bus, (etc., etc., etc.).