Shocking video regarding crew wages!

This should not be a shock to you The americans have mentioned it ad infinitum that is why they expect to tip BUT in Australian based ships the staff are paid the minimum wage at least

Which of the Australian based ships that pay the Australian minimum wage? Do you really think that if the crew were paid the minimum Australian wage that cruise prices would be as low as they are? Our pay rates don't apply to cruise ships.

The media, Governments , Public Relation consultants and the like ,

can put a "spin" on what ever they want you to believe.

Do not be fooled.

Do not believe everything you see or hear without questioning its source.

I have always maintained that if the crew are working for slave labour wages ,...

do you think for one moment that the Trade Unions of either Australia or NZ

would allow that ship to dock?

On a recent Rccl cruise I was on,the suite attendent told me if every cabin he has,pays the grats.....he earns $4000 a month. Not bad at all.

That is the figure I have been told. Keep in mind they have free board, free medical and transport to and from the ship and any accommodation and meals required before and after joining the ship. They do have to buy their own uniforms and launder them (or pay a small amount to have them laundered).

I don't know how accurate the video was in relation to Celebrity, but I couldn't help wondering if the staff worked the long hours claimed, where could they find staff who had spare time to help them?

Whether or not the video was accurate, I hope it will emphasise to the few people who like to remove the auto tip, that it is important to tip staff on ships where this forms part of their normal remuneration. On the Australian-based ships where the tips no longer apply, the crew receive a much higher wage and don't rely on tips.

That is the figure I have been told. Keep in mind they have free board, free medical and transport to and from the ship and any accommodation and meals required before and after joining the ship. They do have to buy their own uniforms and launder them (or pay a small amount to have them laundered).

I don't know how accurate the video was in relation to Celebrity, but I couldn't help wondering if the staff worked the long hours claimed, where could they find staff who had spare time to help them?

Whether or not the video was accurate, I hope it will emphasise to the few people who like to remove the auto tip, that it is important to tip staff on ships where this forms part of their normal remuneration. On the Australian-based ships where the tips no longer apply, the crew receive a much higher wage and don't rely on tips.

It only came up in conversation about Grats because we were offered a upgrade to Grand Suite from a JS once onboard ..This would of left his room empty.

Steward said stay where we were...lol

They earn every cent they get.....but it's there choice.

1. The video compares crew wages to the minimum wage in the UK. Yet most cruise line crew are from poor countries where wages (if you can find a job) are much, much lower.

2. Most crew choose to work on cruise ships because they can earn more money than in their home countries and therefore can provide a better life for themselves and their families.

3. If passengers tip the recommended amounts or more, crew can earn a decent wage and sometimes a handsome wage if they have served long enough to get the best assignments.

4. If you truly care about crew, tip more than the recommended amounts and make a donation to the crew welfare fund.

5. What do you think they pay hotel and restaurant staff in the countries where most of the crew come from? If it was less on cruise ships, no one would take the jobs.

6. Cruise ships provide much needed jobs for tens of thousands of people who would be much worse off without them.

7. Why is media in the West so arrogant that they think they know what is best for everyone else in the world?

On a recent Rccl cruise I was on,the suite attendent told me if every cabin he has,pays the grats.....he earns $4000 a month.

Not bad at all.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thats a terrible wage if you think of what they do,ie,7 days a week,and working the contract,etc, etc, etc,

Think about it VERY CAREFUL,of any Seaman.

Edited by campingman

But it's a fortune for these guys. If they get a job in their home countries, they earn far, far less and have to work at least as hard. I know to those who are used to the 5 day work week etc. it doesn't seem alot. But don't forget, they don't have to pay for housing nor food. And I think their wages are exempt from taxes as well (not sure tho).

However, I do think some sketchy things happen when it comes to crew and their wages.

Anyhow, I have tremendous respect for those crew members.

Thats a terrible wage if you think of what they do,ie,7 days a week,and working the contract,etc, etc, etc,

No its not. Think about it.

A house in their country does not cost an average of half a million dollars. If they earned the same as the even the average wage in Australia , they would only need to work for a year or so then go home ,buy up the village and retire.

Australia has a high wage economy and along with that goes high expenses. The Asian countries have a low wage economy and along with that go low expenses.Its all relative.

If you want to moan about low crew wages, how about the low wages travel agents earn in North America.......I dont see anyone complaining that they are paying too little for a cruise , by booking through them.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

They have free board and lodging and free medical. Crew from many countries do not have to pay income tax. I know that applies to Australians who are out of the country for more than 90 days. That is why the Aussies work on ships based in the US or elsewhere, not Australia.

Yes they might do living alright in Indonesia and Philippines?

However think about their conditions on Ships, their massive amount live,boring menus for them,(Run to the phone when they get ashore for hours,to phone home and go to a restaurant) inside tiny cabins, sharing,there working contracts,paying for fare in one direction in many cases.No paid leave, etc, etc,etc.

However think about their conditions on Ships, their massive amount live,boring menus for them,(Run to the phone when they get ashore for hours,to phone home and go to a restaurant) inside tiny cabins, sharing,there working contracts,paying for fare in one direction in many cases.No paid leave, etc, etc,etc.

Since when???? I do not see crew doing that these days...They all have Skype and can chat to their families as the time .( in both countries suits)......I also note that the crew own the very latest and most expensive lap tops, smart phones, i pads etc etc etc.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Please tell us. With which cruiseline would they have to pay their fare in one direction? I know with P&O and Princess crew don't pay their fares.

There is no paid leave, but if (for instance) stewards get around $1,000 per week for a 10 month contract they get $40,000 most likely tax free in 12 months (2 months at home) - that is much much better than they could get at home.

Boring menus - they have their own dining room/canteen with their own cooks. How many spend money to eat ashore in a restaurant???

Tiny cabins - Most share two to a cabin. Unless they are high up in the pecking order, these are inside cabins. I don't think they spend a lot of their spare time in their cabin. There is a very active social life 'downstairs'.

On a recent cruise on Grand Princess I met a young Australian bartender,he was doing a six month contract just for the experience.

He told me he couldn't wait for his contract to end.

His monthly income with grats was app $2500AUD

Crew from other countries earned less than $2000AUD.

Reason being that crew are paid according to the cost of living in their home country.

Furthermore, they only receive UP TO 75% of the gratuities collected according to how they are rated by pax.

He was a well educated young guy and I have no reason not to believe him.

Fire away.......:D

One thing I have noticed is that most cruiseship staff - especially those from third World countries -- are VERY keen to have their contracts renewed. To me this seems to even over-ride the matter of tipping. Renewal of that contract is the glittering prize for them.

To those who think that what these people are paid is "disgusting" -- there are many millions of Millionaires around the world who would think that your paltry wages and standard of living is beyond the Pale for them :)

Barry

Please tell us. With which cruiseline would they have to pay their fare in one direction? I know with P&O and Princess crew don't pay their fares.

There is no paid leave, but if (for instance) stewards get around $1,000 per week for a 10 month contract they get $40,000 most likely tax free in 12 months (2 months at home) - that is much much better than they could get at home.

Boring menus - they have their own dining room/canteen with their own cooks. How many spend money to eat ashore in a restaurant???

Tiny cabins - Most share two to a cabin. Unless they are high up in the pecking order, these are inside cabins. I don't think they spend a lot of their spare time in their cabin. There is a very active social life 'downstairs'.

Think about it VERY CAREFUL,of any Seaman

Since when???? I do not see crew doing that these days...They all have Skype and can chat to their families as the time .( in both countries suits)......I also note that the crew own the very latest and most expensive lap tops, smart phones, i pads etc etc etc.

Think about it VERY CAREFUL,of any Seaman

Most people in the western world would kill for a wage like that.

Cruise ship staff have it easy. If you think their life is tough then how about you ask all our servicemen who have served at sea in the Navy, in the armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, ask about the appalling conditions they have to endure, food rations, lack of showers, no contact with family for security reasons, on shift 24/7 and when you are not on shift there is always an exercise or drill to keep you on your toes.

Yeah cruise ship crew have a rather luxurious life. Meals all day long, subsidised accommodation, free travel with time off to explore foreign ports, access to communicate with family back home, they get to buy the latest and greatest electronics at duty free prices to take home with them. Cruise ship staff have a rather enviable job.

They have free board and lodging and free medical. Crew from many countries do not have to pay income tax. I know that applies to Australians who are out of the country for more than 90 days. That is why the Aussies work on ships based in the US or elsewhere, not Australia.

No, that is not correct. That all changed in 2007 (I think). They have to pay tax in Australia.

I work in tax.:o