What do you like to read in a cruise review?

happybooker1

I prefer a review written in ONE post (not a series of posts) with a link to pictures (or no pictures at all). I prefer it sorted by categories (service, dining, entertainment, stateroom, etc) rather than chronologically. I will not read one that is all caps, no paragraphs or written in a dozen different posts with comments between. I love reviews, always click on them, but will abandon if longer than a novel or too tedious to bother with.

Second!:)

I prefer to read reviews that are composed first and submitted all at once so the review doesn't get interrupted by others or worse, hijacked. Also, people who quote an entire review, including the pictures, just to say "nice review" or similar should skip the quote button altogether and just comment, if they must.

This sums up my feeling. I like bullets that get to the down and dirty. I don't mind a few pictures here and there but generally, I don't care for them. I think I may be in the minority with this opinion. Generally, if the subject line of a thread is "Live from ......." I don't even open it.

There's a review style that fits all so I think it's best that you do the type of review YOU would like to read.

Totally agree with the bolded. If someone was going by this thread alone, there would be no way they could please everyone. Write the review how you would like to read a review and either people will be interested or they won't.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I don't like pictures unless it is for some specific reason- like to show me the location of a bus stop. I like long reviews with too much information. I can pick and choose what is important for me. I don't like them to be glowing reviews or all negative ( tells me not a well rounded review).

Not matter what review a person writes someone will love or hate it.

I enjoy lots of pics, of the ship AND the ports. I love it when the reviewers give their personal views and engage the readers. I try and read all reviews to give me an idea what ships I would like to cruise and what ports I would like to visit.

I don't like them to be glowing reviews or all negative

Amen. Reviews were everything was absolutely wonderful are as useless as the ones where everything was horrible.

Give me a review with photos of things normally not found on websites or by Googling images. Divide the review by section and title each one (Embarkation, The Ship, Stateroom, Dining, etc). That way I can fast forward easily to the sections that I'm most interested in.

Details are good,but don't go overboard with them (no pun intended). I really don't need to know that you stopped at the Golden Corral on the way to the port, had a double helping of fried chicken and had gas for the rest of the drive down to Port Canaveral! (I've truly read that).

What does my ideal review look like? Clock on the link to my Westerdam cruise below in my signature. :D

Edited by Tapi

This sums up my feeling. I like bullets that get to the down and dirty. I don't mind a few pictures here and there but generally, I don't care for them. I think I may be in the minority with this opinion. Generally, if the subject line of a thread is "Live from ......." I don't even open it.

There's a review style that fits all so I think it's best that you do the type of review YOU would like to read.

If we are posting then we have done at least on cruise so lets add the link of our review or our signature:D.

Short but didn't know how to post pics at the time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1862902

Edited by Blk_Amish

Too much pre cruise info! So annoying. If you are on page 12 of your review and you haven't left port yet, your review is tooooooooooo long! Seriously, I really don't care to see 15 pictures of your generic motel room. I truly do not care you had a boiled egg and a piece of toast for breakfast.

I like lots of pictures. I'm a visual person. Too much talking, on and on and on, I'm gonna skip over most. Do I care you took a nap on day 3 at 2:45? Not really. And when it takes you 3 paragraphs to describe the nap. I'm outta there!

Reviews of certain specifics, food, shows. Seriously, just not every, single little thing needs to be mentioned.

Edited by kona_wahine

I like it when people include some personal info, like the number of prior cruises & cabin type selected. I tend to focus on the reviews written by experienced cruisers. I also look at the reviews written by people who stayed in the cabin category I am interested in booking.

I appreciate the fact that someone is willing to spend the time to write a review so I am fine with however they want to do it.

I do prefer reviews written in paragraphs and with a legible decent sized font though.

A little humor is nice too! :D

Too much pre cruise info! So annoying. If you are on page 12 of your review and you haven't left port yet, your review is tooooooooooo long! Seriously, I really don't care to see 15 pictures of your generic motel room. I truly do not care you had a boiled egg and a piece of toast for breakfast.

Amen to this!

I like to see:

• Minimal information on a pre/post cruise stay - just where you stayed, if there was a park/cruise package or free shuttle to the port and state if you liked the hotel and would stay there again. I don't need photos or a very detailed review of the hotel, I can go to TripAdvisor for that.
  • I like photos of the cabins, especially if it is an unusual one with a larger balcony or different layout. Note any info about the cabin concerning noise or location problems.
  • I like minimal info on any tours that you took and any pertinent photos that really show what the tour was about.
  • I don't like food photos, I have never taken photos of my food. Just give a good statement as to overall how the food was to you. Food is subjective so an item I might hate, someone else might love.
  • If you use any amenities like the Spa or Gym include a quick review of them with a couple of photos if you have them.
  • State if you would take the same cruise again or list things that you would do differently.
  • Keep the review balanced with any bad and good points listed. If something went wrong, tell about it and what was done to correct the issue.
  • I like the review in larger sections that don't allow a lot of other comments between the sections.
  • Please finish the review and be sure to check back to see if anyone had any questions for you.

Edited by Mysticks1

[quote name='PC Cruisin']I only read reviews with lots of pictures. This keeps my coming back for more. Pictures tell a thousands words ... ;)[/QUOTE]

Me 2. Only with pics or it has to be a very short review.Love it when people write reports whit some humor in it.