My Time Dining & Gratuities

I understand that RCL has an automatic gratuities program that charges $12pp per day that states it includes "dining staff." In asking our travel agent to change our fixed dining time to My Time for an upcoming January cruise on Serenade, we were informed that she needed credit card info because gratuities for wait staff were automatically added for My Time diners. I understand that concept, because your wait staff would be potentially different each time. But it seems like My Time diners would be automatically charged more for gratuities than fixed time diners (even though I know that fixed diners have the OPTION of tipping their wait staff for the week an additional amount) Does that make sense?

Also, when I pre-registered with RCL, I already gave them credit card information for all on-board expenses. Why do they need it again for My Time?

Anyone out there that can help explain all this? Thanks much

Gratuities are taken up front for all those participating in the My Time Dining option. You have to produce the card you have given for your setsail pass when you check in at the pier. As a result the daily charge will not be removed from that pass for those in MTD.

Gratuities are taken up front for all those participating in the My Time Dining option. You have to produce the card you have given for your setsail pass when you check in at the pier. As a result the daily charge will not be removed from that pass for those in MTD.

You are correct that even though you give them the credit card info online you still have to produce the credit card at the pier, however it does not have to be the same one. I always book and provide RCI with my Canadian$ card for online purchases and check in but at the pier I change cards and have everything charged to my US$ credit card.

I understand that RCL has an automatic gratuities program that charges $12pp per day that states it includes "dining staff." In asking our travel agent to change our fixed dining time to My Time for an upcoming January cruise on Serenade, we were informed that she needed credit card info because gratuities for wait staff were automatically added for My Time diners. I understand that concept, because your wait staff would be potentially different each time. But it seems like My Time diners would be automatically charged more for gratuities than fixed time diners (even though I know that fixed diners have the OPTION of tipping their wait staff for the week an additional amount) Does that make sense?

Also, when I pre-registered with RCL, I already gave them credit card information for all on-board expenses. Why do they need it again for My Time?

Anyone out there that can help explain all this? Thanks much

The charge for gratuities is the same for My Time and traditional. The only difference is that My Time must prepay and prepaid gratuities cannot be removed.

Edited by clarea

No worries, you are not paying more gratuities. You are just paying for them now, instead of having them added to your onboard account. Note that the daily gratuity includes the cabin steward and housekeeping, in addition to the dining wait staff.