Is it normal for suites to sell out over 11 months before sailings?

luvs2fly

My upcoming cruise was booked a little over 11 months out. All of the suites where gone when I booked! Except for a couple of handicap ones. There were no promotions for my cruise when I booked, and the price was average. There were definitely better deals to be found on better ships. However I really liked the itinerary, so we decided to snatch up the last aqua 1 aft balcony. I kept checking availability and the veranda's all gone by early summer.

After final payment a few rooms did open up, but nothing great. Our cruise is over Valentine's Day, could this have something to do with it? Or could it be that there is some large group onboard (which i'm hoping isn't the case). Is this common?

Depending upon the ship there are only so many suites available. People who really want them usually book early. On my upcoming cruise the suites sold out fairly quickly.

Thank you! It is on Celebrity, maybe next time we will be able to snag one.

Thank you! It is on Celebrity, maybe next time we will be able to snag one.

Keep checking back - especially as it come close to "full payment time." A lot of people don't really make up their mind until the money is due.

We told our TA we'd like a suite for an upcoming cruise and one opened up a week or two later, and we got it.

I don't know Celebrity - other lines I've sailed on have a suite "wait list" and they are happy to have you pay more money to upgrade. If they can't sell the suites when people decide to transfer their deposit to another cruise, the cruiseline will upgrade people for free - so they are thrilled if you're willing to pay for the suite.

We always stay in suites and book what we want the day the ship opens for booking. The suites on our next trip, including the window suites were all gone 14 months out. One or two have popped back up but never for more than a day and they could easily have been filled off a wait list. Suites are amongst the first cabins to go on most ships along with the cheapest insides

This topic makes me want to ask a question? For those that are willing to pay a lot more money for suites on the Mass Market Lines (such as Celebrity, RCI, HAL, etc) does it really make much sense? In some cases you pay more then twice the cost of an ordinary cabin on the same cruise. No matter which cabin you book (inside or suite) you are going to get the same food, entertainment, ship, shipmates, etc. DW and I (and we cruise over 70 days a year with lots of different lines) have often debated the question as to whether money spent on a large suite of a line like Celebrity, would be better spent on normal cabins on the luxury lines such as Seabourn, Silverseas, Crystal, Regent, etc. Our reasoning is that we actually do not spend a lot of "awake time" in our cruise ship cabin. We are normally out of the cabin in ports or at various other places on the ship. So the large suites only offer us a benefit for a few hours a day (at the most). But when we have cruised on a luxury line we generally get better food, much better space ratios, better service, etc. And DW has another take on the subject which does not apply to those with plenty of financial resources and little time. Since we spend more then half the year on cruises and trips, we do try to control our expenditures. If I suggest to DW that we book a large suite on a Solstice Class ship she will usually say something along the lines of "would you rather spend X number of dollars on a 10 day cruise in a suite...or X number of dollars on a 20 day cruise in a regular veranda cabin?

Hank

This topic makes me want to ask a question? For those that are willing to pay a lot more money for suites on the Mass Market Lines (such as Celebrity, RCI, HAL, etc) does it really make much sense? In some cases you pay more then twice the cost of an ordinary cabin on the same cruise. No matter which cabin you book (inside or suite) you are going to get the same food, entertainment, ship, shipmates, etc. DW and I (and we cruise over 70 days a year with lots of different lines) have often debated the question as to whether money spent on a large suite of a line like Celebrity, would be better spent on normal cabins on the luxury lines such as Seabourn, Silverseas, Crystal, Regent, etc. Our reasoning is that we actually do not spend a lot of "awake time" in our cruise ship cabin. We are normally out of the cabin in ports or at various other places on the ship. So the large suites only offer us a benefit for a few hours a day (at the most). But when we have cruised on a luxury line we generally get better food, much better space ratios, better service, etc. And DW has another take on the subject which does not apply to those with plenty of financial resources and little time. Since we spend more then half the year on cruises and trips, we do try to control our expenditures. If I suggest to DW that we book a large suite on a Solstice Class ship she will usually say something along the lines of "would you rather spend X number of dollars on a 10 day cruise in a suite...or X number of dollars on a 20 day cruise in a regular veranda cabin?

Hank

Can't comment on suites as we have never had one, we have never had anything but a balcony. Even though a inside would be half the price of a balcony I would never book anything other then a balcony. We were upgraded to a JS one time and although it was bigger and had a tub I don't think it would be worth the money to book one. happy cruising

Hank

It's a great question. We have a limited amount of vacation time. We looked at the luxury lines. The price was just a little more for a balcony suite on Seabourn, after the discounts they offer to my husbands company. However arranging travel to get to ports, is a pain and would eat up a lot of time. So we decided to keep our aqua room on X. When we don't have to arrange child care for three small children it will be a viable option.

We are considering a silver seas cruise for our family vacation, because they will let us keep our kids in an adjoining cabin by themselves. X said that we would have to book an adult in each room.

Hank

There are perks that come with a suite that, for many folks, make the cost of a suite worth the price.

Hubby and I would rather have a longer cruise in an Oceanview, or even in an inside cabin.

Edited by NMLady

Hank

Great question, should lead to some good conversation.

As someone who has sailed on both luxury and mass market lines I'll offer my take.

Regardless of cabin size you are comparing apples to oranges.

We have different needs and expectations when we sail Regent vs. Carnival.

On Carnival, RC or Celebrity we expect more "fun and games", more drinking, more partying...we also take our child so expect more family fun. No luxury line we've been on had a waterside! On mass market lines we try to fit in "everything". I guess we expect the mass market lines to be more energizing.

On a luxury lines we don't take our child and have expectations of amazing food, wonderful wines, relaxation and romance ;) We are lucky if we participate in anything other than meals.

We have never sailed a suite on a mass market line that came close to the price of a luxury cruise either, so really can't comment on that point. On our upcoming cruise we have a larger balcony room in a desirable location, but the price was well under a grand pp. Just recently tossed out a flier from Silversea which had a starting price of over 2 grand pp for an inside in a lousy location.

I can't comment on the Haven suites on NCL or the Penthouse Suites on HAL as I personally agree with you there. For those prices, you may as well sail Regent.

MY TA told me a while back, oftentimes suites are shown as "sold out" because they hold them for VIP's, comps, upgrades, Sr officer's families, etc, etc, etc. More often then not they are not actually booked by fare paying passengers.

MY TA told me a while back, oftentimes suites are shown as "sold out" because they hold them for VIP's, comps, upgrades, Sr officer's families, etc, etc, etc. More often then not they are not actually booked by fare paying passengers.

Your Travel agent doesn't know what he/she is talking about. You should look for another.

I have worked for most of the mass market lines for several decades. We have NEVER done anything as described above - but I really wish we could.

My front desk staff receives a commission when they sell an onboard upgrade to a suite. They have not had that opportunity for the past 3 years on my ship. There have been no empty suites to sell.

My current boss, a Senior Vice President of the company, has to cruise stand-by when he needs to sail with us on business. He usually ends up in a crew cabin.

In 38 years ar sea I have never seen a Sr Officer's family get a suite - unless they paid for it.

Edited by BruceMuzz

Hank

First of all, some of us don't have the option of taking 70 days to cruise in a year. So trading more days for a smaller cabin just is impossible.

And when we travel we like a sense of luxury. We've traveled on Regent (yum) and for Mass Market, mostly HAL. The suites do give you more of a luxury experience.

Depending on the line, you have boarding priority, which isn't only boarding first, but waiting in an air conditioned room with comfy chairs and snacks instead of in a big hangar type room on folding chairs; Princess, which we're sailing on in March does have some different food for suite guests. One of the specialty restaurants is open for breakfast for suite guests and it's supposed to be marvelous. Many say the best perk of being in a suite.

I don't like to do laundry on vacation - suite guests often get free laundry service. etc.

So it is a more luxurious experience even if you're on a Mass Market line.

Because Regent is so much more all inclusive than the Mass Market lines, we've found it is actually often cheaper for us to sail with them - but they have fewer sailings and itineraries so we can't always work that in.

To us every penny. And yes they can be very expensive. I wish they were only double the price of a balcony but they can actually be 4 times as much. We take extended vacations and our next cruise is 31 days followed by a 28 day circumnavigation of Australia and yes, both in suites and yes both very expensive. Both trips are on Princess. We enjoy the aft cabin location and the massive balcony where we do spend a lot of time. Two of the "perks" we get are free laundry and dry cleaning which on a long trip is a big plus for us. I can pack for a month long trip as if it were ten days and not have to worry about dragging half my closet with me. Yes I could do my own laundry as Princess has laundromats on every deck but no thanks, this is a vacation. The very private breakfast at Sabatinis is the second perk we enjoy. If you stay in a suite and don't eat there you are missing something wonderful.

The "sweet life" isn't for everyone for sure. I can't argue against saving money on a trip so that you can afford to take either another or a longer one. To each his own

This is flat out not true. He/She may think it true but they are mistaken.

We always book our suites far in advance because we know exactly what we want and don't wish to settle. Sr. Officers' families often share their cabin or are happy to have any other cabin no matter where they can stay so Officer's cabin is not so crowded. VIP's do not get free cabins from most cruise lines but for some very few, widely scattered occasions. We have over 800 days and 80+ cruises with HAL and have never had a free cabin...... all of those days were sailed in suites. ;) There are very few comps in Suites and again, very secificic and rare event and then usually only because there happened to be a last minute cancellation.........

Your TA might wish to investigate a bit more before making such statements. :)

Edited by sail7seas

To us every penny. And yes they can be very expensive. I wish they were only double the price of a balcony but they can actually be 4 times as much. We take extended vacations and our next cruise is 31 days followed by a 28 day circumnavigation of Australia and yes, both in suites and yes both very expensive. Both trips are on Princess. We enjoy the aft cabin location and the massive balcony where we do spend a lot of time. Two of the "perks" we get are free laundry and dry cleaning which on a long trip is a big plus for us. I can pack for a month long trip as if it were ten days and not have to worry about dragging half my closet with me. Yes I could do my own laundry as Princess has laundromats on every deck but no thanks, this is a vacation. The very private breakfast at Sabatinis is the second perk we enjoy. If you stay in a suite and don't eat there you are missing something wonderful.

The "sweet life" isn't for everyone for sure. I can't argue against saving money on a trip so that you can afford to take either another or a longer one. To each his own

O.K. now I'm jealous!!! Hope your upcoming cruise is truly wonderful. You are right about the perks, they are nice. However it has been my very limited experience that sweets are almost always the quietest rooms on the ship. For that one reason alone I would be willing to pay extra. I'm in serious need of quiet.

This is flat out not true. He/She may think it true but they are mistaken.

We always book our suites far in advance because we know exactly what we want and don't wish to settle. Sr. Officers' families often share their cabin or are happy to have any other cabin no matter where they can stay so Officer's cabin is not so crowded. VIP's do not get free cabins from most cruise lines but for some very few, widely scattered occasions. We have over 800 days and 80+ cruises with HAL and have never had a free cabin...... all of those days were sailed in suites. ;) There are very few comps in Suites and again, very secificic and rare event and then usually only because there happened to be a last minute cancellation.........

Your TA might wish to investigate a bit more before making such statements. :)

ANd we were told most of them are not sold that far in advance.....they use them for "up selling" to those in the categories minimally lower.

ANd we were told most of them are not sold that far in advance.....they use them for "up selling" to those in the categories minimally lower.

Wrong again.

The most expensive and the least expensive cabins are always sold out first.

The categories just below the suites are the next ones to sell out.

Your TA doesn't know what he/she is talking about!!

Time for you to get a new TA.

I wonder what other lies he/she has told you???

Not true!!

I have no idea where you got your information. But the higher categories and lowest category sell out first.

Highest because there are so few of these cabins.

Lowest because they people usually book them as a guarantee and hope for a good upgrade.

O.K. now I'm jealous!!! Hope your upcoming cruise is truly wonderful. You are right about the perks, they are nice. However it has been my very limited experience that sweets are almost always the quietest rooms on the ship. For that one reason alone I would be willing to pay extra. I'm in serious need of quiet.

Not true the suites are always the most quiet.

On some HAL ships, the most costly cabins are beneath the pool and there are times (though not many) when deck crew is washing floor or straightening the furniture and the suites below hear the noise for a limited amount of time, late afternoon. We have been in those suites a great many times and it doesn't bother us as it doesn't last long but there would be no such noise if there was a deck of cabins between the pool deck and suite deck. On some of HAL's class of ships, our suite is on such a deck and we hear no noise.

Well...as we've never booked a super-duper deluxe suite and probably never will, we really don't care what our TA tells us about the whys' and wherefore's of them being booked 11 months out or the day prior to embarkation. As she seems to get us the best prices and the best perks, I think we'll keep her regardless of what she has to say about the pricy penthouse cabins.