Formal night dress

audobon_tx

I am certain that this topic has been discussed in the past but dress codes are evolving across the cruise industry so I was wondering if the requirement for men to wear a tux or dark suit and tie on formal nights in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants is still enforced on Princess (Caribbean Princess in particular)? Apologies if this has been recently discussed.

The dress code is not strictly enforced. But, that said, I was on the CB in November and I can tell you that the vast majority of men in the MDR were wearing tuxes, suits or a jacket and tie. Yes,there were a few men who were not in jackets or ties, but they were a small minority.

Dress "code" applies to MDR's only. In the Caribbean, most men wear suit & tie, women nice dress or slacks outfit. Less men wear tuxes and less women gowns. Some men wear sport coat & tie, a few sport coat without a tie, and a few in just a sport shirt. Shorts & T shirts not allowed any evening in DR's

Specialty restaurants are smart casual all the time. Many make reservations on formal nights to avoid MDR code.

After dinner many change into smart casual wear.

I am certain that this topic has been discussed in the past but dress codes are evolving across the cruise industry so I was wondering if the requirement for men to wear a tux or dark suit and tie on formal nights in the dining rooms and specialty restaurants is still enforced on Princess (Caribbean Princess in particular)? Apologies if this has been recently discussed.

I don't think a dark suit or tux was ever REQUIRED. Sport coats and ties, for as long as we have cruised on mainstream lines, were allowed too.

Formal nights ARE dressier than "smart casual" nights. (Most men wear ties and have a sports jacket or suit on.) But certainly not formal in the traditional definition of the word for the majority.

It all comes down to you and your comfort level. If you would be uncomfortable in the minority, then wear a jacket. The vast majority of men wear at least a sport jacket. Some will wear only a shirt and slacks and still be admitted to the dining room. Some are turned away depending on the Maitre D. It is your decision.

On a recent cruise we did fine with a little black dress, slacks, shirt and tie. The days of regalia (tuxes and gowns) are gone..........but you are welcome to wear them on formal nights---or any other night for that matter. I think it's more important to look at what isn't allowed at the bottom of the sign..........and heed that.

We were on CB in Nov and we did the first formal night. I wore a simple black dress with sparkly pumps and statement necklace. BF wore a button up with sleeves rolled up, suspenders (down) and vest, no jacket, dark pants that were clearly not slacks (but clearly not jeans). Kinda like a Johnny Depp outfit. No one batted an eye.

I have cruised with POA through the Hawaiian Islands, Sun Princess in the South Pacific, and lastly Celebrity Millenium on Transpacific cruise via Tahitian islands, and I have never taken formal gear on any of these above mentioned cruises. My wife & I "like" to travel light. Our "main attractions" on cruises are the ports, not what to wear on formal nights.

When the formal nights cropped up, we just went to a specialty restaurant, where formal clothing didn't seem to be enforced. In fact, on those formal night, we found the specialty restaurants to be almost empty, so we enjoyed having a restaurant almost to ourselves. In fact, on those nights, some of the ship's officers dined in those "other" restaurants. It made for a nice romantic dinner for my wife & I, away from the crowded MDR, so much so, that we made a point of visiting those restaurants more often during the course of the cruise.

The dining room lists this outside:

11655592936_486a3d99cc_b.jpg

12.22.13 by vshingl, on Flickr

So in addition to a tux or suit, a man could also wear a sports coat.

A couple of points to make here. First, the sign says tux, dark suit or dinner jacket. A sport coat is not a dinner jacket. For an example of a dinner jacket, see AKMan's avatar picture.

Second, the sign says: "Please observe...". That is not a suggestion or a recommendation. It is a command akin to: "Please observe the no smoking sign", or "Please refrain from cell phone use." People have no problem reading those signs as instructions, but when it comes to the dress code, they view it as something less. The reason for this is accounted for in point three below.

Third, despite the instruction on the sign, the code is not enforced. Since Princess doesn't enforce its own requirement, they have transformed it into a mere suggestion. If you make an effort to wear something nicer than "cruise wear", you will be allowed in the MDR. By my count, about 30% of the men wear tuxes, 50% wear some sort of suit, blazer or a long sleeve shirt with a tie, and 20% wear just a long sleeve shirt or Tommy Bahama type shirt without a tie.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Not common, but I've witnessed a couple instances where a passenger basically defied efforts to "enforce" the dress code when entering a MDR "in violation" and getting called out for it. In each case, the guy just went to his table like it was nobody's business.

Personally, I've occasionally worn jeans, shorts, flip flops, etc to the MDR during dinner, but if asked to change, I wouldn't be a PITA about it to anyone that has access to the food that I'll be served.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Slightly 'off topic' but Whataboutport's post made me s******....as you may, or may not be aware in the UK suspenders are what you wear to keep your stockings up, braces keep your trousers up. So just in that sentence our common language throws up the trousers/pants...pants/underpants...braces/suspenders...stockings/hose....hose/hosepipe. I know it's a mind field and shall make no assumption what you BF was wearing, whatever it was they let him in the MDR so that's the main thing.

"The times they are a changin'". Every year since we started cruising 45 years ago, dressing for dinner seems to be a thing very few adhere to. I have not seen the dress code enforced latly and many ships no longer even have formal nights.

"The times they are a changin'". Every year since we started cruising 45 years ago, dressing for dinner seems to be a thing very few adhere to. I have not seen the dress code enforced latly and many ships no longer even have formal nights.

Except that by my experience on Princess, which this thread is about,, "very few" means almost all. True, the number of tuxes may not be in the majority, but between suits and tuxes, they are the majority.

Edited by AKman2495

Except that by my experience on Princess, which this thread is about,, "very few" means almost all. True, the number of tuxes may not be in the majority, but between suits and tuxes, they are the majority.

This has been my experience as well. If you go to the MDR wearing less than a tux, suit, or blazer with a tie, you will be allowed in and you will be in the minority by far.

Edited by JimmyVWine

This has been my experience as well. If you go to the MDR wearing less than a tux, suit, or blazer with a tie, you will be allowed in and you will be in the minority by far.
This has been my experience as well. If I don't feel like dressing up, I go to a specialty restaurant, buffet or room service. IMHO, there is nothing on the formal night menus that are "must have" or "do not miss" (which I know is subjective) so I'm not denying myself.

DH doesn't care and I like to dress up. We don't get to do it very often. We usually rent a tux for him. I do a long gown one night and cocktail length the other. Saves him getting a suit and I'm happy we get formal night pictures.

On a side note, my uncle was not permitted to enter the main dining room on the Epic because he had on Bermuda shorts. He had to go change.

DH doesn't care and I like to dress up. We don't get to do it very often. We usually rent a tux for him. I do a long gown one night and cocktail length the other. Saves him getting a suit and I'm happy we get formal night pictures.

On a side note, my uncle was not permitted to enter the main dining room on the Epic because he had on Bermuda shorts. He had to go change.

The Manhattan Room requires men to wear pants. You can wear shorts in the casual MDR, Taste. But surprisingly I found Norwegian to be the most strict about their dress code (for the Manhattan Room) - probably because they have so many casual eateries on the ship. Kind of like Disney is the best at providing and maintaining adults-only areas - because the rest of the ship is very welcoming to kids!

This has been my experience as well. If I don't feel like dressing up, I go to a specialty restaurant, buffet or room service. IMHO, there is nothing on the formal night menus that are "must have" or "do not miss" (which I know is subjective) so I'm not denying myself.

Apparently I missed the goat cheese souffle on the 2nd formal night. I was looking forward to that but bf didn't want to get "dressed up" again.

Apparently I missed the goat cheese souffle on the 2nd formal night. I was looking forward to that but bf didn't want to get "dressed up" again.

Go to Sabatini's in casual attire and get the Artichoke souffle. I think it is better.

We noticed Carnival being less formal than our cruises on Princess from Hawaii, Alaska, and the Caribbean. We found ,to our surprise ,Alaska was the less formal on formal night But the others Princess cruises have been traditional and we found dark suits and tuxes. My husband says, why not dress up for you a couple of nights on a vacation , we've been planing and looking forward to. That's what caught my eye 17 years ago. We are in business wear all year long and enjoy a dress up night that does't have the company air about it. So I say dress what makes you comfortable it's your vacation!

Go to Sabatini's in casual attire and get the Artichoke souffle. I think it is better.

ml Chardonnay or a Sauv Blanc?

We noticed Carnival being less formal than our cruises on Princess from Hawaii, Alaska, and the Caribbean. We found ,to our surprise ,Alaska was the less formal on formal night But the others Princess cruises have been traditional and we found dark suits and tuxes. My husband says, why not dress up for you a couple of nights on a vacation , we've been planing and looking forward to. That's what caught my eye 17 years ago. We are in business wear all year long and enjoy a dress up night that does't have the company air about it. So I say dress what makes you comfortable it's your vacation!

No one mentions much how light weight and comfortable Tuxedoes can be( for me). I love to get dressed up and formal nights helps with the decisions making on at least 2 of the seven nights.

I own my own but having the rental option sure helps with packing.