DIY Laundry facilities on Oasis?

DnR

Wow...I simply asked because this is our first RC cruise. We usually only take a carry on and do one load of laundry mid week. It saves bag checking fees for us. One load is never a big deal.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread so if you come back wanted to let you know that on 7 day cruises, they do provide a laundry bag part way through. For $25 (I think that's the current price) you can get a bag of laundry cleaned. Don't put anything delicate in it or that needs special types of washing but t-shirts, underwear, etc work perfectly.

While it is not self serve laundry, for those that don't want to pack a lot it definitely helps. We use it each and every cruise.

Didn't miss the self serve machines when we did a one week cruise on Royal, but it was great to have the machines when we did a B2B on Carnival Freedom last fall. I took tide pods, dryer sheets and clothespins for items I didn't want in the dryer. Gave my leftovers to a couple doing the next B2B.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Wow...I simply asked because this is our first RC cruise. We usually only take a carry on and do one load of laundry mid week. It saves bag checking fees for us. One load is never a big deal.

Don't sweat it. Like just about everything around here, this somehow manages to be a "hot button" issue. In all seriousness though, the rates for wash & fold and even pressing and dry cleaning are shockingly low. They are much less than I pay for those services when I am home. So, even though people like to rail against it around here, the wash and fold service is a great way to go.

I don't think it's low class at all. We used them on Princess. I just think if Royal doesn't have them after building 22 ships then they probably think it's a waste of space. I'm thinking I'd rather not do laundry any how so I'm OK with that. ;)

I agree. I probably wouldn't do laundry, but if RCI started putting self-serve laundry facilites on their ships, why would I care? It's not like I'm forced to use it.

I agree. I probably wouldn't do laundry, but if RCI started putting self-serve laundry facilites on their ships, why would I care? It's not like I'm forced to use it.

Playing devil's advocate. I once had a stateroom just past a laundry facility. Loud, hot and dirty every time I went by. Busier with people coming and going. Did it ruin my cruise? Of course not! If I were on a ship with laundry facilities, would I rather not have a cabin nearby? Yep!

While I don't cruise to do laundry, a self serve laundry on my 10 night cruises would have come in handy. I would love it if Royal offered washer/dryers every other deck like Princess does.

I agree with you, it is a money maker for them and I don't see them changing their position on the issue in the future...Quantum ;)

We are about to embark on a 10 day & would have liked to have seen self-service laundry. As it is I am buying some of the hand washing laundry detergent & will use the bathroom sink. (I plan on using the gym several times & prefer not to have the smelly gym clothes lingering.)

I've never cruised Carnival and based on your Sig that is all you have done. Is there self-serve laundry on Carnival? I wouldn't mind the idea as long as you didn't have to wait for available washing machine and dryer, but I've had to my own laundry in other circumstances not cruise related and it is an absolute pain. (And I don't mean at home :p , although that is a pain too :) )

Yes, we never had to wait - & we did several loads.:( (brought our own detergent & quarters.)

Well if we are snobbish I guess that makes you a cheapskate. Since laundry IS avail on all RCI ships. You just have to pay a cpl dollars for it. Lets see spend $2,000 on a vacation and cheap out on spending $20 for laundry service. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you on this! I think on some past threads we may not have agreed on everything but this one yes! Lol

Don't sweat it. Like just about everything around here, this somehow manages to be a "hot button" issue. In all seriousness though, the rates for wash & fold and even pressing and dry cleaning are shockingly low. They are much less than I pay for those services when I am home. So, even though people like to rail against it around here, the wash and fold service is a great way to go.

I've seen the price list. It is $1.25 for a pair of socks on Royal - shockingly high, not shockingly low.

Maybe if you are a good stuffer, you can get good value out of the $25 bag.

At home I pay $1.99 a piece for jacket, blouses, etc. for reference (I haven't paid to have my socks laundered for a direct comparison.)

And I have known of passengers who almost came to blow with their fellow cruisers when they returned to the laundry room to find that someone had removed their clothes from the washer or dryer, or when someone failed to return in a timely fashion to remove their clothes and thus tied up a machine someone else was waiting to use. Have sailed on lines with machines and without and it rarely has been a serious factor in deciding what cruise to book. RCI is not alone in not offering self-serve laundries. Celebrity does not offer them. HAL's newer ships don't, and NCL removed theirs to make room for more revenue producing guest cabins.

I bet they laughed at the guy who said he could make money selling raw meat to people at a fancy eatery so they could get dressed up, then stand in front of a grill with smoke blowing in their face trying to cook it:p
has nothing to do with the previous posters suggestion...:rolleyes:

Well if we are snobbish I guess that makes you a cheapskate. Since laundry IS avail on all RCI ships. You just have to pay a cpl dollars for it. Lets see spend $2,000 on a vacation and cheap out on spending $20 for laundry service. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I really don't think it has anything to so with being cheap. some folks may just want to pack light and go home without tons of laundry. Think of that family of 5 on a 10 dayer!!!

And what would you call the folks that spend $2000 on a vacation yet they are hauling cases of soda and water on??:eek:

self serve laundry-I'd love to have the option!!

This topic has come up quite a few times on the RC thread and I have seen some pretty 'snobbish' remarks people have made in regards to it.

How they wouldn't be caught dead doing laundry, or I will Never do that in 1,000,00 years on vacation, ect.

This thread is pretty tame...

Your right. The key point being 'not on vacation.' That would be something my wife would say and seeing how she does most of the laundry at our home I wouldn't call that snobbish. I'd call it smart. :D