Formal portrait prices

FOXYDEBBY

Does any one remember the prices for an 8 x10 portrait? I want to budget for photos but would like to know how much they are. I will be on Ruby in March. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Debra

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

You are not charged for having photos taken and there are usually 2 or more formal nights per cruise depending on the length of your cruise.

I think buying just one 8 x 10 was around $20?

I usually don't do this but my then 82 year old mother and I chose to sit with a black background on formal night and the photographer took truly spectacular photos of her alone and then with both of us. So you just never know how well they can turn out. She usually either closes her eyes and/or smiles in a "fake" way but the photographer got a great shot of her. She will be 85 in April 2015 and both my sisters and I are so happy to have a really wonderful photo of her at this age!

Go for it when you are onboard-if they get some really memorable photos you just can't put a price on it!

We just bought 3 on the Ruby and I think they were $25 each. Mind you they have now realized that not everyone wants 8x10's, so even tho that was the size of the photo paper, 1 was a 5x7 with some wallet sizes, 1 was 2 5x7's and 1 was an 8x10. Hope that helps you budget! Expensive and I can't believe Princess STILL wastes all that paper and chemicals, but when your DM is 82, you buy the photos!

You are not charged for having photos taken and there are usually 2 or more formal nights per cruise depending on the length of your cruise.

I think buying just one 8 x 10 was around $20?

I usually don't do this but my then 82 year old mother and I chose to sit with a black background on formal night and the photographer took truly spectacular photos of her alone and then with both of us. So you just never know how well they can turn out. She usually either closes her eyes and/or smiles in a "fake" way but the photographer got a great shot of her. She will be 85 in April 2015 and both my sisters and I are so happy to have a really wonderful photo of her at this age!

Go for it when you are onboard-if they get some really memorable photos you just can't put a price on it!

I believe they are now $24.95

Oh, I second this! My Dad was diagnosed terminal in September last year. He loved to cruise. We took him on what he called his "bucket cruise" in November that year. We lucked up and got a fabulous photographer. My Dad always froze in pictures. She got his true smile. She got one of my Mom kissing his forehead and him smiling at the camera that just captured the two of them perfectly!! He passed away December of last year. Those pictures are what I would grab if the house was on fire!!

$20 is soooooo worth it for capturing a moment!!

Oh, I second this! My Dad was diagnosed terminal in September last year. He loved to cruise. We took him on what he called his "bucket cruise" in November that year. We lucked up and got a fabulous photographer. My Dad always froze in pictures. She got his true smile. She got one of my Mom kissing his forehead and him smiling at the camera that just captured the two of them perfectly!! He passed away December of last year. Those pictures are what I would grab if the house was on fire!!

$20 is soooooo worth it for capturing a moment!!

What a priceless story! Sorry for the loss of your Dad. Treasure those memories.

I believe they are now $24.95

Golden Princess, December, formal prints were $24.95, regular 8x10's were $19.95. Overpriced, in my opinion, but we bought a couple as we had lots of OBC.

What a waste of paper and ink for the thousands and thousands of pictures not purchased.

Golden Princess, December, formal prints were $24.95, regular 8x10's were $19.95. Overpriced, in my opinion, but we bought a couple as we had lots of OBC.

What a waste of paper and ink for the thousands and thousands of pictures not purchased.

I'm sure the purchasers cover the wasteage cost.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of passengers purchase photos....maybe 20%? We always buy 2 or 3 prints 8x10". How can you resist looking 10 years younger ;)

Edited by Kinkacruiser

When you consider the cost of having a family portrait taken at home, we think they are a bargain. Had some really beautiful ones taken with the white background, both formal and casual and we are not exactly young and photogenic!

They were $24.95 on the Royal in July. Expensive, but the ones we bought were qbsolutely gorgeous. The photographers on the Royal were excellent...we had six in our group including two children and they managed to capture everyone at their best! We prefer the plain backgrounds...IMHO some of the backgrounds they use are very "busy" and artificial looking. And I don't think in our over 30 years of cruising that we have ever purchased the embarkation photo!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

When you consider the cost of having a family portrait taken at home, we think they are a bargain. Had some really beautiful ones taken with the white background, both formal and casual and we are not exactly young and photogenic!

You can get a boat load at Sears for 9.99. In a digital era the photos are super expensive but moments precious.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Does any one remember the prices for an 8 x10 portrait? I want to budget for photos but would like to know how much they are. I will be on Ruby in March. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Debra

We were on the Sapphire during Thanksgiving week 2013 and the formal photos were $24.95; however once you buy the photo you can also purchase the "image" for only $10. Such a deal. You can have as many photos made as you like and just the size you need when you get home. We used one to send with our Christmas Cards this year.

They don't advertise the purchase of the image, but it's available. I should have brought the flash drive that I had already bought from Princess on another cruise, but I didn't so I had to purchase another one.

Thanks.

Debra

Just off the Grand. Formal Photos, $24.95, casual photos, $19.95.

Tom:)

The Sapphire Princess had converted their golf sim to a "Platinum" studio, and we convinced my folks to join us for a 30-minute portrait sitting on our Alaska cruise. Normally they whittle it down to ~50 good ones and let you trim it down further from there, but our photographer ended up with ~70 good ones which was neat (but made it "work" to get it down to a workable number). They usually get it down to 22 which is the size of their largest package, then drop the bomb of the package prices, and let us whittle further. I think we got it down to about 9, which suited the smallest package plus the one freebie courtesy of a coupon for going to their embarkation day "open house". That was still several hundred dollars, but honestly the gal had this fantastic ability to pose us in ways that worked so well, then she had this "South African woo woo" sound she'd make to get us to smile and laugh, making awesome faces. It was also a _private_ sitting, which allowed for a far more intimate experience, and great for our first "family" cruise. Something to consider if your ship has it.

• 4 months later...
$24.95 on last cruise. The informal shots $19.95. They make me look good! I scan them later to share but nobody in my family cares. I look forward to the day they have a way to view digitally and not have to waste all the printing.

Disney already does it digitally and has for a few years now. They do print out pictures, but not all of them. They have a room with viewers/screens and you put the ones you want in a cart, just like shopping online. Then they print out what you want. They also have a package deal to purchase all printed pictures along with all digital pictures for about $300. Our family took well over 50 pictures that cruise and had them all printed out too. What also was nice about Disney's photo set up, was that you didn't have to search the walls for your printed photos. Each cabin had a binder on a bookshelf that all your photos were placed into. When they took each picture, they scanned your cruise card to match the cabin number, so when they were printed, they just placed the pictures into your photo binder.

Does Princess have a package deal or do you have to purchase each one separately? I see in the Patters that they usually have a special to buy both embarkation pictures for $39.99. What do they mean by "both"? Do they take one picture of your group and then put it on different backgrounds or do you pose for two pictures on the first day?

Disney already does it digitally and has for a few years now. They do print out pictures, but not all of them. They have a room with viewers/screens and you put the ones you want in a cart, just like shopping online. Then they print out what you want. They also have a package deal to purchase all printed pictures along with all digital pictures for about $300. Our family took well over 50 pictures that cruise and had them all printed out too. What also was nice about Disney's photo set up, was that you didn't have to search the walls for your printed photos. Each cabin had a binder on a bookshelf that all your photos were placed into. When they took each picture, they scanned your cruise card to match the cabin number, so when they were printed, they just placed the pictures into your photo binder.

Does Princess have a package deal or do you have to purchase each one separately? I see in the Patters that they usually have a special to buy both embarkation pictures for $39.99. What do they mean by "both"? Do they take one picture of your group and then put it on different backgrounds or do you pose for two pictures on the first day?

Princess prints teo embarcation photos. the first is a large (8x10) of you. THr second is a smaller photo of you with backgrounds of the ship.

As for package deals, Princess does have package deals. Just ask at the photo desk. They are usually very happy to put together package that you want.

Be prepared to spend between $100 and $200 for a typical large package. The photos package for our renewal of vows, which included a DVD and a whole set of pictures ran about $320.

What also was nice about Disney's photo set up, was that you didn't have to search the walls for your printed photos. Each cabin had a binder on a bookshelf that all your photos were placed into. When they took each picture, they scanned your cruise card to match the cabin number, so when they were printed, they just placed the pictures into your photo binder.

So if you are in a photo with people from several cabins, do they put a photo in the binder for each of the cabins?