Picking the right cruise and itinerary need advice

Doerthoch

Hi,

Trying to plan a cruise to Alaska the last week in May. This is our first cruise. Both of us are in our late 50s.

We want to do a one way, doesn't matter which way, or does it?:)

Have been researching all weekend and I think we've decided on either Celebrity or Princess... The problem is:

Celebrity does not seem to go by Glacier Park but they stop at Icy Strait point.

On Princess northbound they pass Glacier Bay Park but no Hubbard glacier.

On Princess southbound they do both Hubbard and Glacier Park but no icy Striat.

We can't decide which would be the best itinerary... By reading the posts here it seems like glacier bay park shouldn't be missed! but we were leaning towards Celebrity...

From your experiences which would be your pick? Thank you

Hi,

Trying to plan a cruise to Alaska the last week in May. This is our first cruise. Both of us are in our late 50s.

We want to do a one way, doesn't matter which way, or does it?:)

Have been researching all weekend and I think we've decided on either Celebrity or Princess... The problem is:

Celebrity does not seem to go by Glacier Park but they stop at Icy Strait point.

We can't decide which would be the best itinerary... By reading the posts here it seems like glacier bay park shouldn't be missed! but we were leaning towards Celebrity...

From your experiences which would be your pick? Thank you

We have done directions. Princess on does Icy Point on cruises from Seattle . I personally would take the southbound with Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Hubbard could be ice bound in May and June . One year we went in early May and Hubbard was open. We couldn't get any closer than 1 mile of the glacier . A ship in front of us got stuck in the ice near the face . It took almost 5 hrs for them to get free of the ice. Last June we went and Hubbard was ice locked . We only got to within 10 miles of the glacier.

It isn't as simple as a "recommendation". Glacier Bay certainly is very enjoyable- but isn't the ONLY "worthwhile" choice that you sometimes will read.

Is there a desire to see Hoonah? Is your glacier interest not as much a priority? Hubbard glacier is a sight to see.

The issue may be your timing. Hubbard can run into less access in May, are you also going to do any main land touring? If so, and includes Denali park, my only recommendation is a northbound sailing.

I suggest you find out more about your glacier choices and ports. Determine- how you would occupy your port time, and if you have enough time to see and do what you want.

There is NO perfect cruise, it's all about compromises and you certainly can't see much of Alaska even in 10 trips. It's about enjoying your priorities and making the most of touring choices. I especially caution people to not go the what's "popular" route and make choices due to what they read they "should" do because they read it's a must. ALL of Alaska is very worthwhile. Go your own way and make your plans based on what brings you to Alaska.

I was in your shoes 12 years ago - 2002 - wanting to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary with our very first cruise and to AK to boot. I had not discovered CC so we went to our trusty travel agent - a friend of my wife who did mostly cruises. He sent us a large package of brochures on AK cruises. We were overwhelmed and simply picked a cruise line that seemed to meet our tastes - NCL. Back then I did not know the difference between Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay - so we went to Tracy Arm - this was mid June and we were lucky enough to get somewhat close - the captain sent the ship photographer out to take some closer up photos of the glacier - the next day they offered the photos at a reduced price. We also looked no further than the cruise line's offerings for excursions. The bottom line - we did not really stress about anything we never really worried about what we were missing (sometimes it is good to have blinders on :) ) and found that we really enjoyed the whole cruise and AK experience. We went whale watching and saw Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, did some horseback riding and did the summit train in Skagway, and finally did a simple walk around at Ketchikan. In Victoria we did a quick city tour and headed out to Butchart Gardens and were able to see them both during the day and at night.

We have been to AK two more times - 2003 and 2012 - O3 was a repeat of 02 with our kids in tow - and in 12 we finally went to Glacier Bay with my MIL in tow - and yes all three cruises were on NCL.

You have not mentioned if you plan on touring the interior of AK - ie Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks etc. IMHO I would not do a one way without being able to spend at least three or four more days to see either Denali or the area around Homer and Seward/Whittier. Touring in May - is a wee bit early for Denali as most of the park opens on June 1.

You are right that NB and SB cruises are not created equal - I know that NCL visits both GB and HG on the NB and HG and IPS on the SB.

Is Glacier Bay a must see - yes and no - it is interesting because you will probably never get iced out and you will get up close with a glacier and the park naturalists do an excellent job with describing the area. I also feel that Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier are worth seeing as well - and now that most cruise lines offer a small boat add on tour the experience is fantastic. On our last trip we took the all day trip out of Juneau - yes we missed doing anything else in Juneau - but Sawyer Glacier was the only one that calved for us.

I know what I enjoy to do - I don't know what you enjoy. My advise - study the ports try http://www.cruiseportinsider.com figure out what floats your boat - find a cruise that maximizes the times in the ports you find the most interesting and then pick a cruise line. Or just put some blinders on and go for broke.

Princess on does Icy Point on cruises from Seattle .

Sorry, this is incorrect. I don't think Princess goes to Icy Strait Point at all. Definitely not on their Seattle sailings, which all go to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria.

Hi,

/QUOTE]

If I had to rank your 3 potential stops, I would rank Glacier Bay -1; Hubbard Glacier - 2; and Icy Strait far away and without any thought at all - dead last. In fact, I personally would rank Ice Strait behind almost all of the other potential stopping points that you did not mention.

DON