Freedom of the Seas size-does it feel crowded?

Hi everyone! I've only cruised once on NCL Jewel, which had a passenger capacity of about 2400....Freedom of the Seas shows that the capacity is 4370. That seems really daunting to me. Can any experienced cruisers give your thoughts on this? Is the ship large enough for it to be distributed nicely or does it feel really crowded?

We're trying to make a final decision on cruise lines. RC (specifically Freedom of the Seas) and two Carnival ships are the only two that cruise out of the port we can drive to in June/July. Honestly, the only thing that is scaring me about the Freedom is the size.

One other thing that puts me off about RC is that one of the ports is one of their "private islands"....for the time we're looking at it would be either Labadee or Coco Bay...I feel like I'm losing out on a "real" port by being forced to go to one of the cruise lines own islands. Thoughts on that?

Thanks so much on any info, opinions, etc!

Royal does a good job of distributing guests throughout the ship. We have not felt crowded on Freedom Class ships, except for situations such as when everyone is exiting the theater. It can get crowded in the elevator lobby at that point, but it does not last more than 10 minutes or so.

Regarding the stop at a private destination, that's a plus for us. We use it as a relaxing day at the beach, without being contantly being bothered by people wanting to take you on a tour or sell you jewelry. You don't have to spend any extra money on the private destination if you don't want to. Royal provides a complimentary BBQ lunch there too.

The ships are proportionate in size to the passenger load and our experience on the Freedom class of ships is that they do not feel crowded. Certainly on sea days the pool deck will be crowded, but that would be on any ship IMO. There are a number of interesting and fun venues with this ship class including the Royal Promenade (unique to RCI), flowrider, rock climbing wall, etc. that set RCI apart from other cruise lines.

The RCI private destinations are very nice - in fact one of our favorite stops on RCI Caribbean itineraries. Although not a port of call in the traditional sense, it is certainly a nice beach or water related activity day.

I'm sure you will enjoy the ship and your itinerary should you decide to choose it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Carnival ships will have a MUCH more "crowded" feeling than Freedom no matter what size they are.

IMHO, none of the RCIs ships I have been on have a crowded feeling.

Freedom is a HUGE ship! The largest in the whole wide world until 2009 when Oasis was built. However, its not so huge that its overwhelming. Freedom is designed so that it disperses crowds very nicely.

If ports are that important to you and you still want Freedom, pick the Western route on Freedom. There is a good chance on the Eastern route that Coco Cay will be cancelled due to high winds or rough seas leaving you only two ports in the Virgin Islands. IMO, Coco Cay is a wonderful stop. I have never been to Labadee yet though.

Edited by ryano

Freedom is big but layed out so well that it doesn't feel too crowded. We were on two Carnival ships after the Freedom and they both felt more crowded to us because they are just not layed out as well...Royal Caribbean does a much better job of dispersing passenger flow.

We haven't been to Labadee in years, before they built it up as much as they have. But there are a lot of activities there - it is a nice place to go.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Was on there in October and it definately did not feel crowded at all! I have been to both Coco Cay and Labadee! I enjoyed them both. A very relaxing beach day to just chill out and enjoy! I had a cabana on Labadee and that made it all the better! :cool:

After having done the Bahama cruise and a Southern cruise the Eastern Ports on Freedom does not interest me anymore and I'm not a fan of the 3 sea days!

Royal does a good job of distributing guests throughout the ship. We have not felt crowded on Freedom Class ships, except for situations such as when everyone is exiting the theater. It can get crowded in the elevator lobby at that point, but it does not last more than 10 minutes or so.

Regarding the stop at a private destination, that's a plus for us. We use it as a relaxing day at the beach, without being contantly being bothered by people wanting to take you on a tour or sell you jewelry. You don't have to spend any extra money on the private destination if you don't want to. Royal provides a complimentary BBQ lunch there too.

As usual, Bob has it right!

I would add that it also feels crowded when leaving the ship for ports, if you choose to leave at "peak" times. Our ship was several hours late to Labadee (due to medical turnaround back to Canaveral on Day 1), so it was a cattle call leaving the ship. That was rare, though.

Labadee is a definite plus for us! Considering on other ports, you will need to wait for taxis to and from the beach, pay for transportation, pay for beach admission, pay for food etc. Labadee is a series of beautifully maintained beaches, and they have many paid activities (private cabanas, water slide, roller coaster, zip line, and water rentals) should you choose. If not, it is a free day at the beach, with lunch provided.

My husband said the same exact thing about not being bothered by people trying to sell you stuff!!

As everyone says, Freedom does a good job of managing crowds. We just returned from the New Years cruise and the ship was at full capacity. Seemed they added some MDR tables, there were large groups traveling and extra passengers in most cabins that could accomodate them. However that isn't the norm. Most crowed (other than New Years Eve on the Promenade at midnight) was the pool deck on day 3. It was quite windy so the upper sundeck was difficult to manage and the forward sundecks were unusable. So everyone gravitated to the main pool deck. But the last 2 at sea days were very nice so the crowds were more disbursed. As others have mentioned, the pool deck is where the crowd will gather. But I don't think you'll find it any more crowded than any Carnival ship.

As for the "private islands," both are great. Lots of beautiful beach, drinks available, and free barbecue lunch. I like Cococay, I love Labadee. It's a beautiful beach area with lots of trees and surrounded by beautiful lush green hills. Lot's of great water activities, wonderful snorkeling, and great watersports available. So it is one of my most favorite stops.

I think you should give Freedom a try. I think you'll like it.

In general, Royal's ships have a far better passenger-to-space ratio than Carnival's ships. I too hate to feel crowded but experienced none of that on Freedom. We loved it!

As to the private islands, we are not generally big fans for the saem reasons as the OP, but we do like Labadee. Its gorgeous! I believe they do offer a tour that allows you to experience some of Haiti outside the Labadee area.

I would add that it also feels crowded when leaving the ship for ports, if you choose to leave at "peak" times. Our ship was several hours late to Labadee (due to medical turnaround back to Canaveral on Day 1), so it was a cattle call leaving the ship. That was rare, though.

Labadee is a definite plus for us! Considering on other ports, you will need to wait for taxis to and from the beach, pay for transportation, pay for beach admission, pay for food etc. Labadee is a series of beautifully maintained beaches, and they have many paid activities (private cabanas, water slide, roller coaster, zip line, and water rentals) should you choose. If not, it is a free day at the beach, with lunch provided.

Jacquelyn, sorry we missed meeting you on Freedom.

I agree on Labadee. We had a cabana that we shared with friends and despite the short stay we had all the amenities.

We have only experienced crowding on Freedom at the lifts when there are events emptying out; or, in the Promenade during a popular event.

I have only been on 1 Carnival cruise (Carnival Miracle) to compare, but I have never thought Freedom seemed overcrowded. We have always been able to find seats at the pool, in the Windjammer, etc. Freedom has a great layout which keeps people pretty spread out.

Cant quite agree with everybody about crowds. The Windjammer is pretty crowded in the AM, not so much getting food, but getting a seat. Also the pool deck is pretty full on sea days, and extra loud, but maybe that because I'm an old fart

I didnt feel crowded at all - but like above I remember the Windjammer can seem busy (but I was always able to eat and find a seat).. it felt like such a non issue I have no concern sailing on Oasis class..

Edited by destron

sea days will feel crowded if you plan to go to the pool unless you're a chair hog. Otherwise, no

On Oasis/Allure, not close to being an issue. Lots of space. Least crowded I've ever felt on a ship.

Edited by m*u*g*

I agree with all of the above.

Also be aware that Coco Cay is a tender port and frequently has to be skipped due to weather. Labadee has a dock so not an issue.

We loved Labadee also, lots to do and very relaxing. Drink packages work on shore, and has been mentioned theres's a great included barbecue lunch.

You can go to google maps and search for Labadee, go to satellite view and zoom in and you'll see how nice it is.

Private islands in general are some of the best stops on any cruise.

Of course, the Windjammer the day of embarkation and debarkation are crowded, but you can head to the promenade and get pizza or some small sandwiches from Sorrento's or Cafe Promenade and avoid the craziness (or be like us and get on the ship first thing, when WJ is not as crowded).

The elevators will be crowded at certain times. If you can, use the stairs and you'll avoid a lot of that. It's crowded after shows and when there is a parade.

I have been on a few Carnival ships and the one thing that makes me crazy is not being able to go through certain decks. You have to go up, over and down sometimes to get to the dining room. Unless you are on Deck 3 with the ice skating rink, or Deck 4/5 forward at the theater, you can go all the way through on Freedom.

If you have kids going, it's a terrific ship. My boys live on the flowrider and rock wall. We've sailed her 3 times and are finally moving up to Allure this coming August.

Hi everyone! I've only cruised once on NCL Jewel, which had a passenger capacity of about 2400....Freedom of the Seas shows that the capacity is 4370. That seems really daunting to me. Can any experienced cruisers give your thoughts on this? Is the ship large enough for it to be distributed nicely or does it feel really crowded?

We're trying to make a final decision on cruise lines. RC (specifically Freedom of the Seas) and two Carnival ships are the only two that cruise out of the port we can drive to in June/July. Honestly, the only thing that is scaring me about the Freedom is the size.

One other thing that puts me off about RC is that one of the ports is one of their "private islands"....for the time we're looking at it would be either Labadee or Coco Bay...I feel like I'm losing out on a "real" port by being forced to go to one of the cruise lines own islands. Thoughts on that?

Thanks so much on any info, opinions, etc!

This is just my opinion. We sailed on Freedom Dec. 15, 2013. The ship is beautiful! But the best thing about it is the food!!!! Prime Rib twice, Lobster, Shrimp etc. all cooked to perfection. I cruised in August on Majesty and the food was nothing to write home about but Freedom's food was outstanding! Their private island is really a nice stop. You can do everything or nothing but sunbathe and read a book. We opted for jet skis and snorkeling. We had a terrific time.

At times you will feel crowded. If you go to Coco Cay, they don't dock, they tender so you may wait up to an hour to get on the island if you go around 9:00am. When they have "sales" of merchandise on the promenade it can get crowded and as someone mentioned, leaving the theater. We take the stairs as much as possible. All in all, you won't feel crowded often or for very long. You'll have a great time.

We took the all access tour and found the kitchens to be spotless. The Engine room officer explained some differences between Royal's ships and the other cruise line you mentioned. If you'd heard it, you'd go with Royal Caribbean hands down.

I enjoy smaller ships too. I like Norwegian and the smaller RCCL ships but I've sailed on Freedom twice and would do it again in a heart beat.

Hope this helps.

I felt very crowded on Norwegian Jewel, particularly on sea days. I found it hard to find a corner to sit and read except in the lounge way up the top of the ship. I found it hard to get a chair in the shade on the pool deck and the few in the shade were taken by the chair hogs. They had about 6 pay restaurants that were mostly empty and people walking around trying to find a good place to sit. I don't want to go Norwegian again - only a very low price would attract me. Everything else I can't really fault.

RCL - last cruise was on Voyager and I have been on Rhapsody (twice) and Radiance - enough said. Generally a great cruise line.

As usual, Bob has it right!

Were you on the 12/8/13 sailing? It was such a disappointment to have our time in Labadee cut so short. We had such a wonderful time there. We never felt crowded at all on the ship. I had worries about things like the 70's party on the Promenade, but even THAT didn't feel overly cramped.

...Regarding the stop at a private destination, that's a plus for us. We use it as a relaxing day at the beach, without being contantly being bothered by people wanting to take you on a tour or sell you jewelry...
BUT on Labadee if you want, there are lots of paintings and other artworks, some jewelry, hair-braiding etc offered. These vendors have specified areas, and you have to go to them, they can not wander around with their wares. It is often reported that they can be pretty aggressive in selling items, but if you walk away they are not allowed to follow you out of their specified area. I, like many people posting here, enjoy the "private island" (Coco Cay is an island; Labadee is a peninsula with a fence preventing you from leaving). I think Coco Cay also has sales areas, but not nearly to the extent that Labadee does.

Thom

I am a bit of a techno geek about ships so let me put some numbers to the issue. Keep in mind that gross tonnage ("gt") of a ship is a measure of interior space, not weight. Dividing the gt of a ship by the number of passengers will give you a rough idea of the space per passenger. Freedom has a gt of 154,407 and a double occupancy ("DO") passenger load of 3,634 [your 4370 number is the approximate maximum capacity, that means every possible 3rd 4th and more passenger cabins full -- I am using DO for an apples to apples comparison] These numbers result in a ratio of 42.49 gt per passenger. Norwegian Jewel has a gt of 93,502 and DO load of 2,376 for a ratio of

39.35. So you can see Freedom has slightly more space per passenger than Norwegian Jewel does. I do not know what Carnival ships you are referring to, but they typically have lower ratios. If my numbers are correct Carnival Dream has a ratio of 35.60 and Carnival Splendor 37.70.

I have not had the pleasure of sailing on an NCL ship but I have sailed many RCL ships including 2 weeks on the Freedom Class ship Independence of the Seas [a trans-atlantic that which included 9 sea days]. I will echo what the others have said -- I never felt crowded on Independence with the possible exception of the times they were holding events [such as parades] in the Royal Promenade. But those events are supposed to be crowded so I don't put too much weight on that. I don't like crowds -- may be a borderline claustrophobic or what ever the correct phobia is for feeling uncomfortable in crowds. And I think one of RCI's big pluses on all of their ships [at least the ones I have sailed] is that they maintain an open feeling and move people around well. My experience on other lines is limited, but I can say that I did not feel that way about our one and only cruise on Celebrity.

Have not sailed either Norwegian or Carnival but I can endorse the Freedom Class on this score from personal experience.

Whatever you choose, have a great time.

Wow, you guys are all fantastic! Such wonderful opinions and information, thank you so much! We've decided to do it...we will be in Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel. So excited!!!!

By the way, I saw on a thread about the Allure that there is a "Weekly Planner" with just an overview of what will be going on that week. Does the Freedom have something like that and does anyone have a copy that they can scan in?

Also, for anyone that sailed recently with kids, do you remember if there was a drop off on embarkation night at the kid's club, or is just orientation for the parents and kids together?

Thanks again!