Dockside checking case of wine

sevenseassailor

Before the rule change we always checked a case with our luggage on the dock.

Never hid anything, had it clearly marked in a wine shipping box.

Maybe because the box was designed for shipping wine we never had any problem with anything breaking.

Realistically you can check anything. If they decide to scan it and determine its wine, they can either tell you to come to the naughty room and pay corkage, or under the rules destroy it (we have had limited reports of this happening).

Anecdotally it seems to be more likely it will get through, but if it doesn't, there is no basis to challenge the destruction.

As far as breakage, I get wine shipped across the country in a shipping box, if it survives UPS that way it should survive Princess. You can pack individual bottles in ziplocs, so if one breaks the damage is contained.

Realistically you can check anything. If they decide to scan it and determine its wine, they can either tell you to come to the naughty room and pay corkage, or under the rules destroy it (we have had limited reports of this happening).

Anecdotally it seems to be more likely it will get through, but if it doesn't, there is no basis to challenge the destruction.

As far as breakage, I get wine shipped across the country in a shipping box, if it survives UPS that way it should survive Princess. You can pack individual bottles in ziplocs, so if one breaks the damage is contained.

All the "reports" are of liquor being destroyed, not wine.

And the rules also state liquor.

From our current boarding pass

"Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

Since it was stated that wine is subject to corkage that makes it within their policy.

Edited by chamima

I'll try to find it but we have had at least one report of wine being destroyed (should it have been is the question).

On the bag tags I thought it said they had to be in carry on, which means they could say outside policy.

My point was it will probably be ok with corkage, etc, but destruction COULD happen.

This is the tag wording (or at least was, my emphasis in bold):

"Please remember our

carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750 ml bottle of wine or

Champagne per adult.

• Additional wine & Champagne

bottles are welcome for a $15

corkage fee each, per voyage.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers

are prohibited. Luggage is

subject to search "

All the "reports" are of liquor being destroyed, not wine.

And the rules also state liquor.

From our current boarding pass

"Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

Since it was stated that wine is subject to corkage that makes it within their policy.

What we know (from reports by CC members):

• A magnum of Champagne was confiscated (and not returned) from a checked bag. Since bottles bigger than 750ml are not within the policy, it is not clear if it was confiscated because it was checked, or because the format did not conform to the rules.

• People have checked wine in their bags and gotten it on board without detection and without paying a fee.

• People have checked wine in their bags and been called down to a security room to claim it and pay the fee.

• There has not yet been a single report (here) of anyone having a 750ml bottle of wine confiscated or destroyed from a checked bag.

• The luggage tag does indeed use the term "carry-on". And the website FAQ section states: "As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except..." One says "carry on" and one says "bring onboard. Technically, "carry-on" can be a synonym for "bring aboard" and since the term is printed on a tag that is intended to be used on checked bags, the implication could be that you would place a luggage tag on a checked bag that contains wine. But do you want to argue semantics with a cuise line employee as they shake their head and tell you that you cannot have your wine back?

All of this leads to ambiguity both in terms of rules and enforcement. The best way to avoid the confusion is to physically carry on your wine. Anything else seems to present at least a small bit of risk.

Thanks, it was the champagne I was thinking of. The size was a potential issue.

What we know (from reports by CC members):

• A magnum of Champagne was confiscated (and not returned) from a checked bag. Since bottles bigger than 750ml are not within the policy, it is not clear if it was confiscated because it was checked, or because the format did not conform to the rules.

• People have checked wine in their bags and gotten it on board without detection and without paying a fee.

• People have checked wine in their bags and been called down to a security room to claim it and pay the fee.

• There has not yet been a single report (here) of anyone having a 750ml bottle of wine confiscated or destroyed from a checked bag.

• The luggage tag does indeed use the term "carry-on". And the website FAQ section states: "As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except..." One says "carry on" and one says "bring onboard. Technically, "carry-on" can be a synonym for "bring aboard" and since the term is printed on a tag that is intended to be used on checked bags, the implication could be that you would place a luggage tag on a checked bag that contains wine. But do you want to argue semantics with a cuise line employee as they shake their head and tell you that you cannot have your wine back?

All of this leads to ambiguity both in terms of rules and enforcement. The best way to avoid the confusion is to physically carry on your wine. Anything else seems to present at least a small bit of risk.

We want to take a case of wine on board and wondering if anyone has had a problem with breakage if we check it on dock with our luggage. OR should be just lug it on board with us? I realize we will have to pay corkage on it.

OP has not asked about putting wine in luggage.

He/She wanted to know about taking a case.

I see absolutely no problem with this, as long as they are willing to pay the corkage.

OP has not asked about putting wine in luggage.

He/She wanted to know about taking a case.

I see absolutely no problem with this, as long as they are willing to pay the corkage.

The question is...how to get it on board. And that is what people have been addressing. Does one check it or carry it on. When you say that you see no problem with this, which method are you recommending?

How exactly are you to carry on a case a wine? That is quite a load along with whatever else you intend to stand in line with.

Check it in and attach a note stating to contact you and you will pick it up and pay corkage fee at that time. That way THEY are aware that YOU are aware of the need to pay the fee. I don't think they would even think of destroying it at that point. But then again I've seen and heard of stranger things.

How exactly are you to carry on a case a wine? That is quite a load along with whatever else you intend to stand in line with.

Check it in and attach a note stating to contact you and you will pick it up and pay corkage fee at that time. That way THEY are aware that YOU are aware of the need to pay the fee. I don't think they would even think of destroying it at that point. But then again I've seen and heard of stranger things.

We have 2 each 6 bottle wine carriers with a shoulder strap. That is how one boards with a case of wine the easier way. They do make 6 bottle wheeled carriers but then you have to wheel it off the ship as well. This way the carrier mashes down and we put them in our luggage. It just makes it easier to take them home empty of course!

Back in the old days before they started charging, we would check a case of wine along with our luggage and never had a problem. The wine would be in a clearly marked wine shipping carton we got from the wine store where we bought the wine. We would empty out the small cabin refrigerator and put our wine in it. We have wine on the balcony in the late afternoon watching out over the water at the falling sun.

Edited by satxdiver

We have 2 each 6 bottle wine carriers with a shoulder strap. That is how one boards with a case of wine the easier way. They do make 6 bottle wheeled carriers but then you have to wheel it off the ship as well. This way the carrier mashes down and we put them in our luggage. It just makes it easier to take them home empty of course!

Now I know - LOL.

They do make 6 bottle wheeled carriers but then you have to wheel it off the ship as well. This way the carrier mashes down and we put them in our luggage. It just makes it easier to take them home empty of course!

I use a hard-case 8 bottle carrier with wheels. http://winecruzer.com/8pack-winecarrierwheel.html

When it is empty, it makes a great carrying case for breakable items purchased on vacation like Christmas ornaments or the like. Failing that, it gets stuffed with toiletries or dirty socks! If gets checked below the plane without worry, and carried on to the ship fitting through the x-ray machine, (just barely).

Edited by JimmyVWine

I agree - leave it with the stevedores. Let them lug it around. Think of how it'll hold up the security line if everyone brings big cases of alcohol along.

Although, OTOH, I'd follow the advice above and put each bottle in a ziploc bag. We had my make-up mirror broken two weeks ago in LA. It was in a checked bag, surrounded by soft items and packed in bubble wrap. :rolleyes:

I use a hard-case 8 bottle carrier with wheels. http://winecruzer.com/8pack-winecarrierwheel.html

When it is empty, it makes a great carrying case for breakable items purchased on vacation like Christmas ornaments or the like. Failing that, it gets stuffed with toiletries or dirty socks! If gets checked below the plane without worry, and carried on to the ship fitting through the x-ray machine, (just barely).

we have a very similar style case...we will carry on 8 bottles of wine and then bring 8 bottles of spirits from St. Marteen this January while on the Royal...we just check it as we get on the ship and they bring it to your room on the last night. Have also used it bring back breakables as Mr. JimmyVWine stated...they are well worth the investment...