Royal Balcony Questions

bjtomko

So I just fell in love with a 2015 itinerary on the Royal. We have cruised on Ruby and Coral and in both instances booked the larger balconies found on the Caribe deck. We spend a ton of time on the balcony so this is important to us.

I know that this ship has smaller balconies, however I know there are some larger ones. I have read several threads that say general statements about size and to look at the deck plans, but I can't tell from the deck plan which are the "largest". For instance is C409 larger than C415 or C417?

Privacy is a bit of a concern as well since I tend to do things in the room that others don't want to see :o. If I go with a balcony in the bump out, it looks like you can see in the room and I would need to close the blinds. While I can certainly do that, I just wanted to check and see f that was true for the 10th floor for instance.

What about the aft balconies? I like the view and found a review from D731. The balcony is large, but I have questions. How does the wind compare? Is there enough of a block from the dividers when sitting? I know about the soot. Is D731 the same size as D729? Again, I can't tell from the deck plan. It looks like it, but based on bookings for the ship, I would tend to think something is more popular about the one over the other. What about sun here. Is it partially shaded? I can't cook all day.

Ok, that was a lot of questions. I really appreciate your assistance! As I sit in my house for the 4th straight day staring at 2 feet of snow, I want to get out of here and I am super excited about this one!

So I just fell in love with a 2015 itinerary on the Royal. We have cruised on Ruby and Coral and in both instances booked the larger balconies found on the Caribe deck. We spend a ton of time on the balcony so this is important to us.

I know that this ship has smaller balconies, however I know there are some larger ones. I have read several threads that say general statements about size and to look at the deck plans, but I can't tell from the deck plan which are the "largest". For instance is C409 larger than C415 or C417?

Privacy is a bit of a concern as well since I tend to do things in the room that others don't want to see :o. If I go with a balcony in the bump out, it looks like you can see in the room and I would need to close the blinds. While I can certainly do that, I just wanted to check and see f that was true for the 10th floor for instance.

What about the aft balconies? I like the view and found a review from D731. The balcony is large, but I have questions. How does the wind compare? Is there enough of a block from the dividers when sitting? I know about the soot. Is D731 the same size as D729? Again, I can't tell from the deck plan. It looks like it, but based on bookings for the ship, I would tend to think something is more popular about the one over the other. What about sun here. Is it partially shaded? I can't cook all day.

Ok, that was a lot of questions. I really appreciate your assistance! As I sit in my house for the 4th straight day staring at 2 feet of snow, I want to get out of here and I am super excited about this one!

The largest balconies below the SeaWalk (starboard) and the SeaView Bar (Port) on Caribe Deck are C415 and C429 (S) and C414 and C428 (P). Two HC accessible cabins C432 and C433 are a larger still.

The Cabins on the inside of the curve --C421, C423, C420, C422-- have balconies that are only slightly larger than the standard balconies. Maybe 48 s.f. versus 41 s.f.

Privacy inside your cabin on Caribe is not an issue, although the balcony is partially visible from above. There is a blue glow at night, but I found it visible only on the balcony, not in the cabin.

These cabins are midships, and some have complained about the lack of a central staircase, leading to elevator problems

I believe the balconies on Dolphin Aft you mentioned are the same size. Size may not matter if the balcony is unusable due to soot.

Jack

We were in Baja 416, which is a minisuite with a balcony of 54 square feet. The largest angled balconies midship are 72 square feet. We loved our room and balcony--both were spacious and we enjoyed meals on our balcony including the ultimate balcony dinner and room service breakfasts almost everyday. If you click on the deck plans for the cabins you are interested in, most will give you the balcony size. All the midship balconies are covered, but we got plenty of sun on ours as we were on the portside of a western transatlantic crossing. Privacy was not an issue unless you are on Marina, Riveria or Aloha decks, which are visible from the Seawalk on the Starboard side. Port side, you are under the Seaview Bar, which is not as much of an issue. I would still want to be on Baja deck or below to avoid privacy issues.

C409 and C415 are essentially the same, larger than C417, but one has more of a view forward, the other more of a view aft. These balconies are larger than the standard Royal balconies. Here's a view from the SeaWalk. As you can see, you can peek into the balcony but there is a privacy curtain and room darkening curtain that will prevent anyone from seeing in. I believe the balcony doors also have a reflective film so no one can see in. Your balcony is five passenger decks down:

DSC02891.JPG

C409 and C415 are essentially the same, larger than C417, but one has more of a view forward, the other more of a view aft. These balconies are larger than the standard Royal balconies. Here's a view from the SeaWalk. As you can see, you can peek into the balcony but there is a privacy curtain and room darkening curtain that will prevent anyone from seeing in. I believe the balcony doors also have a reflective film so no one can see in. Your balcony is five passenger decks down:

DSC02891.JPG

:)

Hello..We are booked on The Royal for Feb 2nd..just a few weeks to go : ) We are in a mini suite on the Riviera Deck...R408...I know this is under the sea walk but is it a privacy issue at all??..not sure if you know the answer..Thank you

D729/731 have the same size balconies. Dolphin deck has the largest amount of overhang. As you stated, the soot is there and is an issue for some. It was for us.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

D729/731 have the same size balconies. Dolphin deck has the largest amount of overhang. As you stated, the soot is there and is an issue for some. It was for us.....

Bob

Aren't the aft balconies on Baja the same size with the same overhang as the ones on Dolphin?

Can anyone tell me how obstructed the partially obstructed balconies are on Deck 8 on the Royal? I see there are lifeboats just below this deck so is it their roof that is the obstruction or can you just not see down easily. Anyone knower have a picture?

Can anyone tell me how obstructed the partially obstructed balconies are on Deck 8 on the Royal? I see there are lifeboats just below this deck so is it their roof that is the obstruction or can you just not see down easily. Anyone knower have a picture?

In less you have the need to look straight down there is no issue...we were in E506 for the Maiden TA and although these are not our

particular photos - this was our exact view and was fine with us :D

(PHOTOS borrowed from dmwnc1959 - Dave)

11270137355_32f1d4f91d_c.jpg

11270945053_78bf6d1b44_c.jpg

:)

Hello..We are booked on The Royal for Feb 2nd..just a few weeks to go : ) We are in a mini suite on the Riviera Deck...R408...I know this is under the sea walk but is it a privacy issue at all??..not sure if you know the answer..Thank you

You are port side, so under the Seaview Bar, not under the Seawalk, so privacy isn't as much an issue as the starboard side. We were in Baja 416, so several decks lower than Riviera and privacy wasn't an issue at all for us.

You'll love the minisuite.

You'll have a few people on the SeaWalk able to see you on your balcony but not into your cabin. The Marina deck balconies will cover yours which is why it would be difficult to see in. Just don't leave your privacy curtains open at night with the light on inside. The SeaWalk isn't as used as much as people think plus it's no worse than any deck balcony higher than Caribe on any Grand-class ship. Edited by Pam in CA

Bob

Aren't the aft balconies on Baja the same size with the same overhang as the ones on Dolphin?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I believe Baka aft balconies have a slightly smaller overhang. I cannot confirm on the size of the balconies. I believe dolphins are larger but I cannot confirm....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

• 1 year later...
We were in B429. It was a mini suite as I believe all directly below the sea walk are. It was a fantastic cabin. The balcony was large. It was NOT a handicap cabin though.

Thanks redtogo, can you see this cabin from the Seawalk or overview area? It doesn't look like it, just checking.

Edited by Bernbun29

What does it mean if it says deck above may overhang?

LIDO deck forward...M226? L228? Any obstructions or issues?

Thanks! Looking forward to a great trip on Royal..

No obstructions other than when looking UP.

M226 will not have this overhang directly above it, but two decks up. L228 will have the overhang directly above it.

As for the overhang; it means the deck above you may stick WAY out. For example - looking aft down the sides of the ship from the bridge wings...you can see the Sun Deck overhang on top of the Lido Deck balcony cabins:

Starboard side looking aft

16366539903_21153ce76f_b.jpg

Port side looking aft

16798898598_440cdd4727_b.jpg

More pictures showing both overhangs above the Lido Deck and Marina Deck balcony cabins

11543653716_f525cb1444_c.jpg

11543527695_2788cbc081_c.jpg

Aft Marina Deck overhang as viewed from aft looking forward up the starboard side...

11460024485_a2382c9232_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

We were in E702 last week and this room is before the life boats start. No obstruction--Wonderful!