Does everyone upgrade to the Premium package?

meatloafsfan

I recently booked the Celebrity Equinox for November 2014 - and of course, we received the 1-2-3 go and we selected the beverage package.

As I read reviews on various Celebrity ships where people have the drink package, they all start off with, "Once onboard, we upgraded to the Premium drink package...."

Is this really common? Will we have to upgrade in order to get "good" drinks? (I'm not talking about top shelf alcohol or drinks from the molecular or Martini bars - I know we would need to upgrade for those) but just various foo-foo mixed drinks around the ship.

I've tried looking at drink menus on various sites, I haven't found the prices for a lot of frozen drinks (like Pina Colada, miami vice, BBCs, etc) and it seems like of the drinks I have seen, most of them come in at $8.50 or $9 - there seems to be only 2 drinks out of 8 on a page that fall into the $8 and under range.

We don't drink beer and wine is isn't a favourite (very rare - might have 1 glass the entire cruise) but I do like to try various mixed drinks (anything interesting) so I'm wondering if there is a need to upgrade to the premium package or if there's enough selection using only the classic package?

thanks.

We've done both Classic and Premium... While the Premium is convenient to 'just not have to worry about it', the Classic is plenty adequate. The beer and wine selection is smaller for sure, but pretty much any mixed drink you would want is included. As are all of the fancy martini's at the Martini Bar - they're just delivered in a smaller glass. It sounds from above that the Classic package would be fine.

Enjoy!

Us too, we only take the package that is offered as a perk.. We do not upgrade-

If it was not part of the perk offer, it would not be worth it for us to buy any drink package. Our drink consumtion is not great and I do not drink alcohol. I enjoy the teas and other items that come w/ the Classic.

DH makes do with the basic beer , wine and other drinks on the Classic If he wants something special he can order and pay for it ..

Edited by hcat

We are quite content not to upgrade and do not feel we can get $11.50 (per day) worth of mileage out of an upgrade. I generally enjoy single malt scotch, cognac and sometimes a Margarita. With the Classic package we can live with the Glenfiddich, Courvoisier VS and other mixed drinks from most of the bars. DW loves her Cosmos, but can get them made (to her specifications) at any bar and she sees no need to pay more money for essentially the same drink at the Martini Bar. As to the Molecular Bar we think its fun, and most of their drinks are for those that really do not want real drinks. Give me a glass of good whiskey.....but please do not dilute it with 20 other items :). But we did 2 drinks in that bar for which we paid the price. But on our 14 day cruise the upgrade to Premium would have cost us $161 per person...whereas a couple of drinks (enough to convince us we did not want more) in the Molecular Bar cost us less then $30.

Hank

Having looked at the Price List for the Martini Bar, I am slightly confused ?

It appears that the minimum cost Martinis are $11, so are not included within the Classic Drink Package, and the Social Hour Cocktails which are priced at $5.5 which you would have thought would be included within the Classic package because they are priced below the $8 ceiling would appear to also be excluded as I note that on the bottom of the Menu it states

" Social Hour Martinis are for Premium Beverage Packages Only" ?????

Can anyone confirm.

Lee:confused::confused::confused:

Having looked at the Price List for the Martini Bar, I am slightly confused ?

It appears that the minimum cost Martinis are $11, so are not included within the Classic Drink Package, and the Social Hour Cocktails which are priced at $5.5 which you would have thought would be included within the Classic package because they are priced below the $8 ceiling would appear to also be excluded as I note that on the bottom of the Menu it states

" Social Hour Martinis are for Premium Beverage Packages Only" ?????

Can anyone confirm.

Lee:confused::confused::confused:

The Martinis served at the Martini bar are larger Martinis in a larger martini glass made and most are made with top self vodka or gin not included in the classic package. The normal price is $10 or $11 so they are priced above the limit for the classic package. I've not personally experienced the "social hour" but from what I've read this sounds like a half price "happy hour" type of special. I don't think the classic package applies to "special' or "happy hour" prices on items normally priced above the classic package limit.

At all other bars on the ship you can get a smaller martini made with the vodka or gin included in the classic package in a smaller glass. The spirits included in the classic package include some very nice call brands such as Absolute vodka and Tanqueray gin among others but you need to ask for these by name or they'll give you bar well spirits. I've read differing reports as to whether these smaller martinis are available at the Martini bar or not although it appears that the majority of these reports indicates that they are. Some of the reports where these were available at the Martini bar indicated there was only a limited selection available such as basic vodka or gin martinis along with cosmos and apple martinis. The differing reports indicates that this might vary from cruise to cruise.

Hope this helps.

Hi Lsimon,

thanks for your response.

The point I am making is that if Celebrity are willing to offer drinks in the social hour 4pm-5pm & 11pm to close at $5.50, and the limit of the Classic Package for spirits is $8, why are Classic Package holders unable to benefit from this promotion ??? and have to settle for a "standard smaller cosmos" either inside the Martini Bar or at one of the other bars ???:confused::confused::confused:

Hi Lsimon,

The point I am making is that if Celebrity are willing to offer drinks in the social hour 4pm-5pm & 11pm to close at $5.50, and the limit of the Classic Package for spirits is $8, why are Classic Package holders unable to benefit from this promotion ??? and have to settle for a "standard smaller cosmos" either inside the Martini Bar or at one of the other bars ???:confused::confused::confused:

As stated above in another post there are two premium martinis offered for the classic but in a smaller glass. No other premium martinis are offered for the classic. That is just the way it is. If people coud get premium drinks in a smaller glass with the classic package there would be no incentive to get the premium.

At the Passport bar they also have a few happy hour drinks listed as $5.50 between certain hours. They are included in the classic and was told by the BT that $5.50 is the regular price.

The same for the Pour of the day or Daily Grind. They do not have a special or lower price for the day and most times if you ask the BT for one of them they don't know what it is unless someone else already aske for it.

.💨🍸🍻

As stated above in another post there are two premium martinis offered for the classic but in a smaller glass. No other premium martinis are offered for the classic. That is just the way it is. If people coud get premium drinks in a smaller glass with the classic package there would be no incentive to get the premium.

At the Passport bar they also have a few happy hour drinks listed as $5.50 between certain hours. They are included in the classic and was told by the BT that $5.50 is the regular price.

The same for the Pour of the day or Daily Grind. They do not have a special or lower price for the day and most times if you ask the BT for one of them they don't know what it is unless someone else already aske for it.

.💨🍸🍻

If you look at the very bottom of the attached menu page, you will see a VERY confusing notice. It would stand to reason that drinks offered at special prices (well below the upper limit specified for the Classic Package) would be available to Classic Package pass holders, no? This notice seems to suggest this is not the case. It's not at all clear to me why reduced price drinks would only be made available to Premium Package holders when their package covers the FULL, NON-discounted cost of the drinks.

Martinis.jpg.1eba866e22241621f653dbaea97f96c2.jpg

.💨🍸🍻

Not entirely true. While SOME substitutions might be made, you can absolutely order any martini at the martini bar under the Classic package. Tell the bartender you're on the classic, and they will make the 'classic version'. (Yes, in some cases this means substituting a higher end vodka for something else).

I've done it.

Hi Lsimon,

I can see both sides of this so its a good debate topic. On the one hand it makes sense that if I have a beverage package that says it is good for any beverage under $8 then I should be able to get any beverage priced under $8! On the other hand I can see Celebrity's point that they are putting this on a happy hour type discounted price and that the happy hour price doesn't apply to the packages. Frankly, Celebrity could solve any debate if they wanted to by making this a 2 for 1 special, instead of a half off special, as I've seen occasionally on board during select happy hour times on some cruises.

Edited by Lsimon

If you look at the very bottom of the attached menu page, you will see a VERY confusing notice. It would stand to reason that drinks offered at special prices (well below the upper limit specified for the Classic Package) would be available to Classic Package pass holders, no? This notice seems to suggest this is not the case. It's not at all clear to me why reduced price drinks would only be made available to Premium Package holders when their package covers the FULL, NON-discounted cost of the drinks.

Yes, I read that too, and it sounds dumb to me!

We both got the premium upgrade before we got on the ship. If you get it before you board, it's written on your card. If you wait until you're on board, you get a sticker. I don't think they have any rot gut house liquors. To give you an idea, the house vodka is Absolute. I saw a bottle of Gordon gin at one bar, but not at all bars.

I know. I seen it when on board. I asked the BT why and he didn't have a answer. Look at it this way. With the classic package the drink would cost you the full $11 as it is over the $9 limit. During happy hour it will only cost you $5.50 so you are getting it at the happy hour price instead of the full price, and I think that is why Celebrity did it that way.

.💨🍸🍻

Not entirely true. While SOME substitutions might be made, you can absolutely order any martini at the martini bar under the Classic package. Tell the bartender you're on the classic, and they will make the 'classic version'. (Yes, in some cases this means substituting a higher end vodka for something else).

I've done it.

Reread my post . I said that you can get those two premium martinis under the classic but in a smaller glass. I repeat premium. Yes you can get a classic version but that was not the basis of my post. It was about the premium martinis. Many are confused that they can get all of the premium martinis but in a smaller glass with the classic and that is not true. You can a classic version but there are differences in the spirits used and it does affect the taste.

.💨🍸🍻

It is a good job I am a cheap drunk.

I will order most of my fru fru drink and the occasional martini (they go down way too fast) with the house brand alcahol quite happily, and not taste the difference :D

I always thought I looked a little obvious walking around the ship with my 2 for 1 special drinks in both hands and a cake clenched between my teeth ( my mum always told me not to drink on an empty stomach).

Cheers, h.

We upgraded. Calculated how much we needed to drink every day for it to be worth while. Drank too much the first day. Kept up the other days, but felt it was too much. Won't be getting the premium package again.

But maybe I just don't have the stomach for it. My buds can eat those giant burritos, but I can't. My tummy is too small I guess,...on the inside. ;)

My Sweetie had a hard time with it too. So next time we'll just pay as we go.

BTW, if you go on a ship that has the Molecular Bar by all means go! We drank there every night and loved it!

Just off Reflection and got the Classic package free for booking very early for my wife and me. I upgraded to premium for $80.50 more including tips the shortly after boarding. My wife did not. I ended the week up with drinking 50 premium drinks (those above $8) and wife was able to knock back 25 of the $8 and under. That's an ave. of $600 liquor bill.

Yes fresh squeezed OJ is included in the classic since it's under $8 but we both felt it was watered down a bit and she felt the regular machine OJ tasted more fresh. I always got the recommend wine by the glass each night and always got the $9 to $12 per glass wine and wife got the $6 to $8 wine. They kept it full through the whole dinner and even asked if we needed a refill to go after the meal. I also had the after dinner drinks which ran from $6 to $12. Frist day I had 5 of the $11 fancy Martini drinks so felt I really got my money's worth on the upgrade. I was doing my own "sailaway party" laying down in my room.

I have found conflicting information on what beers are available on the classic package. In some posts it looks like Corona is included, others not. I also have seen Blue Moon and Sam Adams in some posts. Other posts suggest there may be only three total that fall in the Classic Package. What have recent cruisers found? We will be on the Solstice next month.

I have found conflicting information on what beers are available on the classic package. In some posts it looks like Corona is included, others not. I also have seen Blue Moon and Sam Adams in some posts. Other posts suggest there may be only three total that fall in the Classic Package. What have recent cruisers found? We will be on the Solstice next month.

If you look at the Celebrity package descriptions on this link: click here

You'll see that a word in the first paragraph of each package description is underlined - that is a link that will take you to a representative list of the soft drinks, spirits and beers included in that package. That listing clearly shows Coronas and Sam Adams in the Classic package.

Just back (last month) from the Eclipse where both Corona and Sam Adams were included in the Classic Package. Not sure about Blue Moon since that is not one of my favorite beers.

Hank