Delta and US Air

cruise junky joan

Either one of these a good choice for travel to Europe? Flew British Air coach before. It was dreadful . Any suggestions would be appreciated. Leaving from Baltimore/Washington area to Venice.

We've flown Delta to Barcelona twice and had no issues. If you go Delta, I suggest you consider paying the extra for Economy Comfort. The 3 or 4 extra inches does not sound like much, but it made a big difference for us.

Edited by clarea

We are disembarking a cruise in Barcelona and I wanted to fly out around 5:00pm, but I'm only finding am flights. Am I out of luck? Will we have to stay overnight?

Very few flights from Europe to the US depart after about noon unless it is a flight to JFK. Of course there are always exceptions, but they are rare. A 5pm departure from LHR to JFK gets in after 8pm. That means you can't make many onward connections. From Barcelona you don't have such late options. Spend the night, enjoy a nice evening in Barcelona and fly out the next day.

Either one of these a good choice for travel to Europe? Flew British Air coach before. It was dreadful . Any suggestions would be appreciated. Leaving from Baltimore/Washington area to Venice.

In large part that will depend on what you mean by "good." In other words, what do you value most when flying transatlantic? Lowest price? Itinerary schedule? Connecting (or not) through a particular airport or avoiding a particular airport? Seat width/seat pitch? Loyalty program perks? Something else?

Along those lines, you say your BA flight was dreadful....why? Did you have a bad connection? Delayed flight? Pricey ticket? Cramped cabin? Bad food? Nasty flight attendants?

I would personally take Delta over US Airways. Also, I greatly prefer either ATL or JFK compared to PHL (where I assume you would transit for US Airways).

That being said, in economy (not economy comfort or premium economy or anything above just plain old economy), don't expect a whole lot of difference - so-so seats, so-so in-flight entertainment, mediocre food. Nothing too special about either airline.

In economy there won't be much difference. Delta offers a premium economy on some flights for a small up charge, US does not. The US Envoy and DL Business are similar, and it comes down to the type of equipment. I believe that US offers more runs in the 777 which is the best option in that class. DL offers first but US doesn't.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

In economy there won't be much difference. Delta offers a premium economy on some flights for a small up charge, US does not. The US Envoy and DL Business are similar, and it comes down to the type of equipment. I believe that US offers more runs in the 777 which is the best option in that class. DL offers first but US doesn't.

I know what you mean, but for the benefit of less experienced flyers who made be confused by some of the terms used:

What Delta offers is Economy Comfort, which shouldn't be confused with true premium economy offered by some airlines (Air France, for instance.) EC gives you a few more inches of legroom, and little bit of additional recline and (somewhat) priority boarding, but it is still the economy cabin... same food, same service, etc. True premium economy is, as I understand it, a totally different cabin and class of service, and the price difference between that and regular economy generally more than the difference between DL's E and EC.

Also, unless something has changed recently, Delta does not offer first class on transatlantic flights that I'm aware of. On airlines in general, the most basic cabin/service is domestic economy. Then any variation of economy comfort, premium economy, or similar. Next is domestic first class, followed by international business class, and finally the creme de la creme- international first class. In other words, the "best" Delta offers internationally is business class, which is better than domestic first class, but not as posh as international first class.

I know what you mean, but for the benefit of less experienced flyers who made be confused by some of the terms used:

What Delta offers is Economy Comfort, which shouldn't be confused with true premium economy offered by some airlines (Air France, for instance.) EC gives you a few more inches of legroom, and little bit of additional recline and (somewhat) priority boarding, but it is still the economy cabin... same food, same service, etc. True premium economy is, as I understand it, a totally different cabin and class of service, and the price difference between that and regular economy generally more than the difference between DL's E and EC.

Thanks for clarifying, and yes, economy comfort is like Jet Blues extra legroom seats. Everything else is the same as the ret if economy.

Also, unless something has changed recently, Delta does not offer first class on transatlantic flights that I'm aware of. On airlines general, the most basic cabin/service is domestic economy. Then any variation of economy comfort, premium economy, or similar. Next is domestic first class, followed by international business class, and finally the creme de la creme- international first class. In other words, the "best" Delta offers internationally is business class, which is better than domestic first class, but not as posh as international first class.

I could be wrong, but I thought a few if the DL routes still had three classes of service (plus EC).

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I could be wrong, but I thought a few if the DL routes still had three classes of service (plus EC).

Nope. No international first class on Delta. They've been a two cabin airline for several years now.

Nope. No international first class on Delta. They've been a two cabin airline for several years now.

I think AA is starting 3 cabin service on their NYC-LA routes sometime soon. And pretty sure their new 777's to Asia will be 3 cabin as well. UA also has some 3cabin service to Asia as well.

I know a tad off topic, but us based carriers do have a little 3 cabin service out there.

AA's had 3 classes on the LAX-JFK routes for awhile. They just got new planes to fly it - used to be a 762, the A321T started yesterday.

And all of AA's 777s (both the 772 and the 77W) have 3 classes, although they will be removing first class from some of the 772s.

Edited by wrp96

AA's had 3 classes on the LAX-JFK routes for awhile. They just got new planes to fly it - used to be a 762, the A321T started yesterday.

And all of AA's 777s (both the 772 and the 77W) have 3 classes, although they will be removing first class from some of the 772s.

The bum thing about AA's 772 aircraft are that they lack Main Cabin Extra :(

It was the new Airbus planes I was seeing then. Was only half paying attention as I live in Houston so I don't foresee me on that flight anyway.

I would like to try their new 777-300(?) with the lounge. Not even sure they have taken delivery of any yet but it looks pretty nice according to their propaganda. ;). (DFW-NRT and DFW-EZE were/are supposed to be the first routes with them I thought)

I think AA is starting 3 cabin service on their NYC-LA routes sometime soon. And pretty sure their new 777's to Asia will be 3 cabin as well. UA also has some 3cabin service to Asia as well.

I know a tad off topic, but us based carriers do have a little 3 cabin service out there.

AA has had 3 cabin service from LAX/JFK return for a long time. That is their FLAGSHIP service. I drive to LAX from far Western Arizona to fly that 3 cabin service and because of my status I end up in business where I can sleep all the way to JFK and wake up ready to work. It is either drive a few more miles to LAX (rather than PHX) and either sleep all the way or be subjected to PHX/DFW/LGA or JFK or take US Air nonstop to JFK where I am crammed into a "recliner" seat even if I PAY for first class.

No thank you-I'll take my upgrade and SLEEP all the way to JFK.

Edited by greatam

AA has had 3 cabin service from LAX/JFK return for a long time. That is their FLAGSHIP service. I drive to LAX from far Western Arizona to fly that 3 cabin service and because of my status I end up in business where I can sleep all the way to JFK and wake up ready to work. It is either drive a few more miles to LAX (rather than PHX) and either sleep all the way or be subjected to PHX/DFW/LGA or JFK or take US Air nonstop to JFK where I am crammed into a "recliner" seat even if I PAY for first class.

No thank you-I'll take my upgrade and SLEEP all the way to JFK.

I did the red eye from Seattle to Dallas in Sept returning from my cruise. Paid first class on a 737.....never again. Next time I'll pay a bit more a fly during the day if not lie flat seats. :(. (The first class was fine just no way to sleep in those seats)