Does Princess still limit number of kids?

Paula_MacFan

In light of the recent thread regarding passengers kicked off and whether or not 'kids' were involved, I'm curious if Princess still limits the number of kids onboard? When we first started cruising several years ago, I remember that being one of the features of Princess vs other lines. I've never had a problem with kids onboard and don't really remember seeing that many on our Princess cruises frankly.

I did a search of the board but couldn't find anything current. Does anyone know what Princess' current policy is?

No - they only limit the number of babies from what I've been told. They used to limit the number of kids, but then stopped it many years ago.

The only thing that will reduce the number of them is the ship's capacity. If it gets too full due to a lot of third and fourth passengers already booked, then Princess will stop allowing third and fourths to book. They have to go as first & second passengers in their own cabin which will sometimes deter parents due to the price (which really isn't that much more than the third & fourth rates.

Best way to avoid the hoards of kids is not to go during school breaks. Also, choosing a cabin that doesn't have inside cabins across from it can be a life saver. I didn't do that on our last cruise due to the cost ($400 more to move down the hallway where there were no insides across the hall) and regretted it.

Best way to avoid the hoards of kids is not to go during school breaks. Also, choosing a cabin that doesn't have inside cabins across from it can be a life saver.
Or, take a cruise longer than ten days or one without a lot of "beach" ports.

No - they only limit the number of babies from what I've been told. They used to limit the number of kids, but then stopped it many years ago.

Do you know when they stopped? We started cruising in 2004, and I thought at that time it was limited to a couple hundred? It's been awhile so my memory may be off:)

Best way to avoid the hoards of kids is not to go during school breaks. Also, choosing a cabin that doesn't have inside cabins across from it can be a life saver. I didn't do that on our last cruise due to the cost ($400 more to move down the hallway where there were no insides across the hall) and regretted it.

We always cruise during school time and usually get a corner aft, so have a super-quiet hallway. That's probably another reason I don't remember seeing very many kids onboard.

Or, take a cruise longer than ten days or one without a lot of "beach" ports.

Maybe that's why I haven't seen kids onboard. We've only cruised twice so far and they were 10 and 15 day cruises. Both were wonderful experiences.

We have a 4-day and a 10-day booked for 2014. I'll have to see if the 4-day (SF to Vancouver) has a bunch of kids or not. It sails May 14th. Easter falls on the 20th so kids may be out of school. I really don't know. I think we will probably have a wonderful time whether there are kids or not. :)

I don't know the official answer but I can tell you this.

I was trying to book a family on a Princess cruise and it would not allow me to process it because of the children. I had to call and speak with someone. They had to override it because the number of children within a certain age group had been fulfilled. They needed a higher up's clearance to allow it. This was last month.

So perhaps they don't follow through on the policy, but I think it's still there.

We have a 4-day and a 10-day booked for 2014. I'll have to see if the 4-day (SF to Vancouver) has a bunch of kids or not. It sails May 14th. Easter falls on the 20th so kids may be out of school. I really don't know. I think we will probably have a wonderful time whether there are kids or not. :)

Easter's in April, so...:)

Not anymore. We debarked the Golden in Santiago Dec. 21. Our 17-day voyage reportedly had 34 kids on board--most of them pre-schoolers. They were no bother.

We were told by staff that for the next segment (Santiago to Rio), which was over the Christmas holidays, 700+ kids were expected on board; they were not exactly looking forward to that!

I like kids, but have never sailed with anywhere near that amount on board. So far, we've never had a problem with kids on a ship, and in fact have sailed with 7 grandchildren before--but not in spring break, Christmas, etc.

I'm not sure I would want to do a cruise with this many kids; all it takes is a few families who don't parent to ruin a cruise; we've all read horror stories of cruises where kids ran rampant and the parents wouldn't do anything.

Maybe that's why I haven't seen kids onboard. We've only cruised twice so far and they were 10 and 15 day cruises. Both were wonderful experiences.

Our 4 day Ruby (Christmas cruise 12/22-12/26) had 700 kids on board. Don't know where they hid them, because you never would have known it. There were a whole host of counselors for the various age groups and surely parents who have taught their kids good behavior.

I was trying to book a family on a Princess cruise and it would not allow me to process it because of the children. I had to call and speak with someone. They had to override it because the number of children within a certain age group had been fulfilled. They needed a higher up's clearance to allow it. This was last month.

So perhaps they don't follow through on the policy, but I think it's still there.

That's what I remembered hearing....that once an age group was full, that was it. It also may be what the other poster said about number of children't life jackets on board. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Maybe they follow the policy *generally*, but allow the number to be exceeded during holiday/spring breaks.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
another thought

That's what I remembered hearing....that once an age group was full, that was it. It also may be what the other poster said about number of children't life jackets on board. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Maybe they follow the policy *generally*, but allow the number to be exceeded during holiday/spring breaks.

The ship is capacity controlled.

Only so many 3rd and 4th berths available.

And like the previous poster said only so many life jackets.

But as you can see the number can get pretty high.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I have had the same experience. I tried several itineraries over the summer and was unable to book because of my minor child. There were only the two of us. I was told that Princess does limit the number of minors but that number will vary by ship because of the overall capacity. I always call and ask for the number of minors on board and they break it down by age groups for me. Even though my son is a kid we don't like being on a ship that has a large number of them on board.

Not only does Easter fall in April (which would be a heavy duty time for spring break), but in mid-May, many school districts will still be going for spring semester. As I'm lucky to not live in a snowy area, I'm not sure how parents plan for snow days (which are surely going on now for schools in session in much of the country), but I imagine once June starts, many kids are out of school.

Our 4 day Ruby (Christmas cruise 12/22-12/26) had 700 kids on board. Don't know where they hid them, because you never would have known it. There were a whole host of counselors for the various age groups and surely parents who have taught their kids good behavior.

Since DH teaches at a community college, we have to take cruises during his breaks. I used to plan our Christmas cruises around the longer itineraries on older ships to avoid having too many children. Last month, however, we went on back-to-back four-night cruises on the Ruby. We stuck to areas and activities that attracted mainly adults--dining rooms for breakfast and lunch, spa pool, trivia, evening cocktails in Skywalkers, etc. I never saw any outrageous behavior from children.

Guessing (maybe someone can confirm) that summer Alaska cruises may have lots of children.

Yes!!! I was on the Coral 2 summers ago, the most unruly children I have ever experienced at sea were on that ship. They were playing "ding dong ditch" in the halls a few times. Otherwise an amazing trip :)

Just returned from the Sapphire New Year's week cruise. There were lots of children of all ages, but we were never bothered by any of them. We have done lots of holiday cruises with our family and really enjoy the family atmosphere onboard. Princess seems to do a great job of "policing" and providing activities for all age groups. We wouldn't hesitate to cruise during the holidays.

Having said that, however, I would book your cabin location carefully and as someone else suggested try to get one with no 3rd/4th berths on either side of you, and if you are booking an outside cabin try to get one without interiors across the hall. We were in the aft area of Baja deck and our cabin was quiet as could be.

Easter's in April, so...:)

D'Oh! My bad. :o

I'm posting from work and can't pay proper attention to what I'm doing here. Sorry about that. My wife and I were considering a 2015 cruise that fell right about Easter and we were talking about it last night. I just kind of had it stuck in my head.

Not sure this will help anyone, but it helped me a bit. Before I booked our cruise in April I checked the spring break dates for the other major school districts in our area. (LA Unified and Long Beach) My son's spring break falls the week of April 7-11 in our district. I really did not want to be on a ship that was over loaded with kids and LA Unified is a huge district which includes a large area adjacent to the Port of Los Angeles. Luckily for me LA Unified falls the week after and Long Beach the week after that. Various smaller districts are scattered around. When I checked with the cruise line a while back the number of minors on board was relatively low for our sailing. As ever, YMMV.