new to cruising

college buddy

Hi, we have booked a west med cruise in Aug on the azura. Would really appreciate any tips or comments that may help. There will be four of us in an inside room, i know it will be tight but is it unbearable? also, on Rivera deck, is this ok? last question, going to Lisbon, cartengena and Cádiz, can anyone recommend some good trips? many thanks for your help.

Four in an inside cabin...mmm...depends on if you mean 2 adults and 2 children...4 mates together or do you mean 2 couples...if the latter I hope you are all really really good friends and work out a rota...shower/dressing for dinner/beds..who has the upper berths.

Only been to Lisbon and we didn't do any organised trips..just took the ship's shuttle to the centre and then walked and explored on our own...I'm sure someone else will be more helpful

I would think it would feel pretty claustrophobic, The two of us once looked at the inside cabin but as Nic doesnt like confined spaces we decided we would rather save up for longer or not bother at all.

Having said that plenty of people are more than happy to use them and ultimately you dont have to spend a lot of time in there, just plan shower and dressing times carefully and enjoy yout cruise

Think your teens will hardly be in the cabin once they have entered the kids club. You will all be fine. Lisbon is easy. Take the ships shuttle and wander. We are thinking about a Segway tour on out trip this year.

Cadiz again is easy to navigate. Walk to the right outside the terminal sticking to the sea. This will take you right round the town, via the gardens and beach. Cut into the town when you get to the Cathedral and explore the town streets and shops back to the ship.

Lisbon is a beautiful city and easy to DIY. If you walk from the cruise terminal straight up the road opposite, down the subway and up the other side, until you reach a news vendor, buy an all day tram ticket from him (about 6 euros I think), cross the road and wait for tram 15E to Belem. Heaps to see and do in the Belem area and then you can get back on the same tram to the centre of the city and hop onto another tram to the old areas, anyone will tell you where to get that tram. Enjoy!

Think your teens will hardly be in the cabin once they have entered the kids club. You will all be fine. Lisbon is easy. Take the ships shuttle and wander. We are thinking about a Segway tour on out trip this year.

Cadiz again is easy to navigate. Walk to the right outside the terminal sticking to the sea. This will take you right round the town, via the gardens and beach. Cut into the town when you get to the Cathedral and explore the town streets and shops back to the ship.

Kevin is right. We know people who've been in inside cabins with their teenagers, and they managed fine.

Lisbon, Cadiz and Cartagena are all very easy ports to do 'on your own', and are great to just wander and explore on foot.

Lou

Lisbon is a beautiful city and easy to DIY. If you walk from the cruise terminal straight up the road opposite, down the subway and up the other side, until you reach a news vendor, buy an all day tram ticket from him (about 6 euros I think), cross the road and wait for tram 15E to Belem. Heaps to see and do in the Belem area and then you can get back on the same tram to the centre of the city and hop onto another tram to the old areas, anyone will tell you where to get that tram. Enjoy!

Hi Essexlass,

Now which terminal is this from, as they have moved to a new terminal recently. The new one is further inland just past the city centre. As with the other terminal there are red hop on hop off buses. I cannot remember if the trams go along that way.

My understanding is that the women's/men's changing rooms have large showers up in the Spa Gyn area and can be used by everyone not just those taking spa treatments, so that may be another option if you all try to get ready at the same time........

Hi Essexlass,

Now which terminal is this from, as they have moved to a new terminal recently. The new one is further inland just past the city centre. As with the other terminal there are red hop on hop off buses. I cannot remember if the trams go along that way.

There are now three cruise terminals in Lisbon and we have docked at all three with P&O.

These are

1. Alcantera, near the 25 April bridge.

2. Santa Apolonia, further up the river and the other side of the city, alongside the Santa Apolonia train station.

3. Tobacco Quay, a new terminal recently opened, just down from Santa Apolonia.

This website gives lots of good information

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Lisbon-06-29-2011.pdf

Brian

Edited by BrianI

There are now three cruise terminals in Lisbon and we have docked at all three with P&O.

These are

1. Alcantera, near the 25 April bridge.

2. Santa Apolonia, further up the river and the other side of the city, alongside the Santa Apolonia train station.

3. Tobacco Quay, a new terminal recently opened, just down from Santa Apolonia.

This website gives lots of good information

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Lisbon-06-29-2011.pdf

Brian

Good link Brian, I have noticed of late that they are using the berths near the bridge less and less. When I look 'Marine Traffic' cruise ships are on the other berths as they are today.

In Cadiz, I took the HOHO bus, and then just wandered around. Very easy to do. Lisbon we moored very close to town and strolled up to the big square that overlooks the sea. Had a great lunch there, then took the circular tram that leaves from there, brilliant, like a Disney ride.