Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

syr101

Going to Hawaii with Celebrity for the first time. A few questions I nee answered.

Where dos the celebrity dock

Recommendation for a pre cruise hotel with a nice beach

2-3 things not to miss on this island

Any other recommendations that would this vacation one to remember.

Fly in four days ahead of your cruise. The time change is a killer. I wouldn't worry about a hotel with a beach. If you find one with a beach, fine. We found Waikiki Beach to be disappointing. If you stay in Waikiki, the beach will only be a short stroll away from any hotel. I would even suggest looking into a condo. Go to the north shore to see the beaches. Definitely go to Pearl Harbor. Recommend you go one of the first mornings after you arrive. Being on East coast time, you will be getting up early anyway. The earlier you get there, the sooner you can go out to the memorial. The ship will dock near the Aloha Tower. If you have time, go to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Have a cocktail at the Halekulani Hotel at sunset. Leis are readily available at supermarkets and Costco. I also have had good luck for leis at Watanabe florist a little west of the Aloha Tower.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

I lived in Hawaii for almost 10 years and had many, many visitors! The consensus from all was that the best thing to do on Oahu during a short visit was to rent a car and do a circle tour of the island. Starting in Waikiki and heading south on Kalanianaole Hwy, make short stops at Blow Hole, Hanauma Bay, Makapuu Point, Kailua Beach, then continue on north following the coastline road (Kamehameha Hwy). If you have the time, stop at Sacred Falls (short hike) and then again on the North Shore (pipeline waves depending upon the time of year). Once you reach Haleiwa, head inland and drive through the old pineapple fields. If the Dole Pineapple tour center is still open, that is a nice refreshment stop. This will bring you right back into town. If you have another day, then Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl Cemetery are musts. Don't waste your time at any of the luaus on Oahu. I don't know your itinerary, but if you do an overnight in Maui, if you can get up to Haleakala for sunrise, it is ABSOLUTELY breathtaking. Have fun!

I lived in Hawaii for almost 10 years and had many, many visitors! The consensus from all was that the best thing to do on Oahu during a short visit was to rent a car and do a circle tour of the island. Starting in Waikiki and heading south on Kalanianaole Hwy, make short stops at Blow Hole, Hanauma Bay, Makapuu Point, Kailua Beach, then continue on north following the coastline road (Kamehameha Hwy). If you have the time, stop at Sacred Falls (short hike) and then again on the North Shore (pipeline waves depending upon the time of year). Once you reach Haleiwa, head inland and drive through the old pineapple fields. If the Dole Pineapple tour center is still open, that is a nice refreshment stop. This will bring you right back into town. If you have another day, then Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl Cemetery are musts. Don't waste your time at any of the luaus on Oahu. I don't know your itinerary, but if you do an overnight in Maui, if you can get up to Haleakala for sunrise, it is ABSOLUTELY breathtaking. Have fun!

I was just looking at Hawaii cruises earlier. You really make me want to go there.

Oh but such a long flight from the UK!!

Going to Hawaii with Celebrity for the first time. A few questions I nee answered.

if you have never been to the island do the Polynesian Cultural center(* skip the luau..over priced and no better than any of the others on the island)

Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl. if you are in to WW2 history look for a tour that incorporates the Pineapple Pentagon.

most of the hotels in Waikiki have beach access. I am parial to Hale Koa, but you need to be Military to stay there.

We stayed at the Ilakai Hotel, which is between the Hawaiian Village (Hilton ) and the Yatcht Harbour.

It is the hotel used for the opening credits of the TV programme 'Hawaii 5-0'

The beach was wider than Waikiki, which disappointed us, as work was underway when we visited in March 2012.

We flew in 5 days early and arranged to visit Pearl Harbour 2 days after our arrival.

I pre booked via the US Parks web site. No payment was taken until we picked up our tickets. We travelled there by local bus.

I would love to go again, but it is a 24 hr journey from UK ( that included a 5 hr lay over in L.A.)

Edited by upwarduk

Hi,

Since you have an overnite in Lahaina...I highly recommend the Old Lahaina Luau http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/ and agree that the sunrise at Haleakala is spectacular, and well worth the lack of sleep you might get that evening...especially if you do the Luau too.

We did both, and although we had barely gotten back on the ship from the Luau, when it was time to get back to shore for our Haleakala Sunrise and Bike Ride tour http://www.bikemaui.com/ the memories, the views, the exhilaration will never be forgotten !

Enjoy

Woody

and btw...I was born not far from SYR

Edited by rwr235

We have both cruised to Hawaii on the Century (RT out of San Diego) and picked up the Century in Honolulu for a cruise to Sydney. Both times the Century docked at Aloha Tower. Just use google to find the cruise ship port schedule for Honolulu to confirm where Century will dock on your cruise.

I am assuming that the OP is asking for hotel recommendations for a hotel on Oahu. We've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village several times (my husband has had a number of business trips to Honolulu) as that property is frequently used for meetings and conferences; it is fine, but if you choose to stay in Honolulu I prefer the Diamond Head side of Waikiki Beach. I like the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort better than the Hilton property.

Actually, if the OP is flying to Hawaii a few days earlier, consider spending a few days on one of the other islands. Oahu is my least favorite.

Cinzlaeye has provided an excellent driving tour. I would also suggest the Bishop Museum, Queen Emma's Summer House, and the I'olani Palace. I'olani can be walked from the Aloha Towers, and for those who do not understand how the US acquired Hawaii, it can be quite the eye-opener. I'm not someone who is particularly fond of zoos, but the zoo in Honolulu is very nice.

Check the Arizona Memorial website, and make reservations, as the memorial will be packed with visitors. Also be aware that due to security concerns backpacks and so forth will need to be left in lockers or locked in car trunks. The battleship Missouri (the Big Mo) is wonderful, and from the Mo you can also see the skeletons of the ships in the harbor. It is a very sobering experience.

My favorites on Oahu from my visit:

* snorkeling Hanauma Bay

* Arizona memorial

* Polynesian Cultural Center

* north shore beaches - we stayed at Turtle Bay

* hanging out/dinner in Haleiwa, along with shave ice from Matsumoto

* fresh pineapple and macadamia nut ice cream - yum!

Now I'm wanting to visit Hawaii again! Have a great time.

On the web site for the Arizona Memorial, you can choose your time. No standing in long lines any more. They want you there an hour early to pick up your ticket, but there is plenty to do in the area for that hour. It's nice not to have to get there early and stand in those long lines.

In my opinion the Halekulani is the nicest hotel in Waikiki (but very pricey!). We also like the Royal Hawaiian, the Moana Surfrider and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. All 4 are right on the beach and within walking distance to lots of good restaurants and activities. The Royal & the Moana are both Starwood properties. The Hilton is a nice complex, but a bit big for my taste. Some of the buildings are quite a distance back from the beach, worth considering if a view is important to you. Overnight parking is very expensive at all of the hotels. I suggest taking a taxi or shuttle to your hotel from the airport and then just renting a car for the day you want to explore.

Hawaii is beautiful! I know you will have a fabulous time!!

Cruise ships dock at Aloha Tower.

The Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort is a decent choice for Waikiki -- a quick walk to Queen's Beach which is less crowded than Waikiki Beach. Turtle Bay is lovely, but a bit remote to other activities.

Pearl Harbor (USS Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri), snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, non-luau visit to Polynesian Cultural Center, and circle island tour would be top choices for first time visitors.

It is a fairly easy walk from Aloha Tower to Iolani Palace ("the only royal palace in the United States").

Edited by X-elite

We sailed to Hawaii from San Diego on Century. Honolulu was a big city with a small beach. Very touristy.

The one thing we did was to visit Doris Duke's Shangri La. You have to book it in advance through the Honolulu Art museum. From the museum you will be taken in a van up to the property which is on Diamond Head. Fabulous place to see and the view from the grounds is spectacular.

We spent an hour or so in the museum before our tour left and found the collection there to be very interesting. There is cafe on the grounds of the museum if you want a snack. The museum is on the bus route.

Here's a link: http://www.shangrilahawaii.org/

Edited by Kellie Poodle

Cruise ships dock at Aloha Tower.

It is a fairly easy walk from Aloha Tower to Iolani Palace ("the only royal palace in the United States").

If you're lucky. For some reason last fall Princess was at Pier 2, a good distance from the Aloha Tower and everything else, and there wasn't another ship at the Aloha Tower.

We'd also like to put in a plug for Shangri La - excellent tour.

You will have a great time, there are so many things to do!

We came in on RCCL

Hilton Waikiki Beach was our choice. Beautiful water and beach and close to shops,etc.

Loved watching the surfers.

There are lots of choices, check at concierge at hotel, they will arrange it all for you. More to do then time to do it.

If you don't do anything else, do this. We spent 10 days in Hawaii after our RCCL cruise visiting 3 islands, the doors off with Genesis Aviation was hands down the absolute best thing we did in those 10 days!

Here is Genesis web site-

http://www.genesisaviation.net/

From Trip Advisor on Genesis-

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60982-d637137-Reviews-Genesis_Aviation_Helicopter_Tours-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Have a great time! :) There was a couple with us who climbed Diamond Head.

Our guide was telling us that Honolulu has the worst traffic as anywhere in the US, it beat LA and NYC last year. 1 million people on the island and 900,000 working in Honolulu.:D

I wouldn't say it's as bad as LA. No such thing as a 2-hour commute in Honolulu. Besides, if you stay off the roads between 5:00 am and 11:00 pm, you shouldn't have any problems.:rolleyes:

Been to Hawaii three times from the East Coast but never on a cruise. Most definitely go to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial - I have gone every time I have been there and wouldn't miss it.

If you have a car, I would also suggest a drive up to the Pali Pass and a stop at the Kukaniloko Birthing Stones. This is a neat site, (a free State park) easy enough to do quickly on the way out to the Dole Plantation if you go out there, or on one route to the North Shore. You won't need much time here, but it is such a beautiful, peaceful place, surrounded by the mountains and pineapple fields. The walk through the red earth fields of Hawaii to the spot where ancient Hawaiian royalty were born is amazing!

Even if you don't want to do the beach at Waikiki, be sure to take a stroll along the waterfront walkway there, its especially beautiful at dusk. You'll want to see the beach with Diamondhead in the background and take some photos. Near the statue there of Duke (the legendary surfer guy) they have free music and hula shows a couple times a week in the evenings; check online for those.

And while not especially budget-friendly, breakfast at a nice restaurant in one of the oceanfront hotels in Waikiki, on the deck or open front terrace, is a wonderful way to start the day. We liked Dukes in the Outrigger Waikiki, but there are plenty others. If you do that,you might want to walk by the pink palace, The Royal Hawaiian Hotel, for a look at another Honolulu icon.

Have fun - you will want to return, I guarantee it !!!

Janet

I wouldn't say it's as bad as LA. No such thing as a 2-hour commute in Honolulu. Besides, if you stay off the roads between 5:00 am and 11:00 pm, you shouldn't have any problems.:rolleyes:

Yes, I thought it was a funny thing to boast about.:D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/cities-with-the-worst-traffic-2012-photos_n_1543437.html

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/18599683/honolulu-ranked-worst-in-country-for-traffic

Edited by MicCanberra