How can we CERTAIN someone will get wheelchair assistance embarking?

CowPrincess

The last time I travelled out of Vancouver with a friend who needed wheelchair embarkation, it was a complete gong show. We were at the Fairmont Waterfront and when I booked the room they assured me they could take her to the terminal in one of their wheelchairs and then transfer her to a HAL wheelchair. Well that didn't happen. So my friend had to WALk to the terminal, and then suffer abuse from a shoreside WITCH before she actually got a wheelchair. So both the hotel and HAL failed, in my eyes.

Will be cruising with someone who needs w/c embark again this spring. Won't be staying at the Pan Pacific or Waterfront, so will arrive by cab. How can we ensure that she has w/c embarkation? Any suggestions?

(Last time I had a note put on my friend's HAL file, got assurances from a bunch of HAL people via phone.....)

Thanks in advance!

Our TA also makes arrangements through HAL for me to have wheelchair assistance.

But in Seattle -- I had to get myself into the terminal and up the elevator where the wheelchairs were - they would not bring one down and outside to me. At first they were not going to allow out Limo driver to drop us off at the front door. Thankfully it was not too long of a walk to the elevator. This is the only port where I have had problems -- so far.

There are no guarantees about where you can get a wheelchair to get on the ship.

For peace of mind, how about traveling with a lightweight, easily collapsible transport chair? They aren't very expensive and would serve the purpose of getting your friend onto the ship. Not knowing her condition, I don't know if that is suitable or not and am just offering it as something to think about.

Vancouver had a handicap waiting area the last time I was there. There were alot of people in it waiting for stewards to come and take them onboard. It was close to where the taxis let you off.

DaveOKC

That's a horrible experience! We have done this several times in Vancouver for DH, having always requested wheelchair assistance through our TA. But, he has had to walk from the car or cab to the HAL office, which just a few feet through the doors. (If you were standing looking at the Bon Voyage sign, it is to your left). Just check in at the office and there are chairs outside where you can wait.

I have to admit, though, that the HAL port agents in Vancouver are the worst I have had to deal with, anywhere. I don't know what their problem is. There only one decent and courteous person - a gentleman by the name of Ian.

My experience in many embarkation ports is that one needs to be proactive. It doesn't matter if you are registered with HAL as needing assistance, you need to speak up and insist on getting help. Even then, it isn't always forthcoming without a long wait. :(

American ports are the worst, as the HAL crew isn't allowed to come outside. You have to wait for a port authority person to bring you in, then you have to wait for a ship wheelchair to take you the rest of the way.

The check-in desk seems to be the usual transfer point.

To be certain, bring your own wheelchair.

That is okay if you have someone else to help you.

DH needs to push me -- I always have a big purse with all the important documents. Who would handle our carry-ons? I could not hold them on my lap. We would have the same situation getting through the airports.

Once on the ship, I don't need the wheelchair as I rent a walker/rollator to get around.

Thanks for the replies!

Bringing along our own w/c just isn't manageable. Mainly 'cuz it'd likely be ME being elected to do it, and I can just barely manage my luggage (I'll be travelling independent of the others).

DaveOKC and Startwin, I can't remember the last time I was above-ground at the terminal, it has been ages, so I'm not certain where the "Bon voyage" sign is. I'm glad it is only a short way from the curb.... the last episode was through all the underground tunnels, through the Parkade, and THEN to the underground waiting area. And then for that horrid snotty woman to say to my friend "you don't really need a wheelchair, do you, dear?"

Sounds like arriving by cab and being above-ground will be a better experience ;)

Thanks for the replies!

Bringing along our own w/c just isn't manageable. Mainly 'cuz it'd likely be ME being elected to do it, and I can just barely manage my luggage (I'll be travelling independent of the others).

DaveOKC and Startwin, I can't remember the last time I was above-ground at the terminal, it has been ages, so I'm not certain where the "Bon voyage" sign is. I'm glad it is only a short way from the curb.... the last episode was through all the underground tunnels, through the Parkade, and THEN to the underground waiting area. And then for that horrid snotty woman to say to my friend "you don't really need a wheelchair, do you, dear?"

Sounds like arriving by cab and being above-ground will be a better experience ;)

Actually, CP, the Bon Voyage sign is in the underground waiting area. It's right where you go through security. Anyway, good luck! And ask for Ian.:)

For peace of mind, how about traveling with a lightweight, easily collapsible transport chair? They aren't very expensive and would serve the purpose of getting your friend onto the ship. Not knowing her condition, I don't know if that is suitable or not and am just offering it as something to think about.

I completely agree, and we have done this twice with my mother-in-law, and once for my husband on cruises. $99 with free shipping, and they are very sturdy. We have two transport chairs from 1800wheelchair.com: a large one we originally got for my husband after surgery, and a small one for his mother. My Dad now has the large one.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-category-products.asp?category_id=498

VERY lightweight, collapsible, and you just gate check it for the airplane trips.

Highly recommend it.

Edited by pcur

This is a little off topic but my husband has been having some back and knee problems so he has been traveling with a cane. On our recent Westerdam cruise we received a letter from the front office saying it had come to their attention that someone in our cabin might need assistance. If there was anything we needed we should let them know. I'm assuming that maybe our room steward, Kiri, passed this on. I was impressed.

St. Louis Sal

The last time I travelled out of Vancouver with a friend who needed wheelchair embarkation, it was a complete gong show. We were at the Fairmont Waterfront and when I booked the room they assured me they could take her to the terminal in one of their wheelchairs and then transfer her to a HAL wheelchair. Well that didn't happen. So my friend had to WALk to the terminal, and then suffer abuse from a shoreside WITCH before she actually got a wheelchair. So both the hotel and HAL failed, in my eyes.

Will be cruising with someone who needs w/c embark again this spring. Won't be staying at the Pan Pacific or Waterfront, so will arrive by cab. How can we ensure that she has w/c embarkation? Any suggestions?

(Last time I had a note put on my friend's HAL file, got assurances from a bunch of HAL people via phone.....)

Thanks in advance!

The wheelchair should be requested ahead of time with HAL. If the hotel is booked through HAL then the request should be sent to the hotel through HAL that a wheelchair is needed to get guest to the ship.