Ladies haircut on board - estimate?

JohnBoy in NC

Hi - did a quick search and didn't find too much. My bride can't get into her normal stylist before we leave next week....and instead of going somewhere new on land before we drive down to FL - wanted to try getting a haircut onboard the Crown.

Does anyone know what the cost would be for a haircut? I know it will be more than on land - that is expected...but didn't know if they also had a package with haircut/nails etc. Hoping someone had a photo of services/prices. I also assume they wil have "specials" on port days?

Thanks in advance!

John in NC

Hi - did a quick search and didn't find too much. My bride can't get into her normal stylist before we leave next week....and instead of going somewhere new on land before we drive down to FL - wanted to try getting a haircut onboard the Crown.

Does anyone know what the cost would be for a haircut? I know it will be more than on land - that is expected...but didn't know if they also had a package with haircut/nails etc. Hoping someone had a photo of services/prices. I also assume they wil have "specials" on port days?

Thanks in advance!

John in NC

One thing I can tell you: never any specials on nails.

You could try asking this on the beauty and fashion board, lots of nice ladies there more than happy to help :)

Another thought would be to ask her stylist if she could recommend another person in the salon to fit her in prior to leaving. I know a lot of people may hesitate to do that, but it happens more than you think in salons. I was in the business for 15 years, most hair stylists are not sensitive to doing that. Her current stylistic would know who has similar skills.

You could try asking this on the beauty and fashion board, lots of nice ladies there more than happy to help :)

Another thought would be to ask her stylist if she could recommend another person in the salon to fit her in prior to leaving. I know a lot of people may hesitate to do that, but it happens more than you think in salons. I was in the business for 15 years, most hair stylists are not sensitive to doing that. Her current stylistic would know who has similar skills.

If the problem is that her stylist doesn't have any available appointments (and doesn't want to see if someone will change an appointment), this may be something to ask about. That way, if the cut is just a bit off, there'll be a few days for his fiance to play with the result.

It's been several years since I've gotten my hair cut on a cruise. The price is different depending on the services you want. For instance, you can get a cut or you can get a cut with a wash and blow dry. As I remember, I paid about $80 for a wash, cut, blow dry and tip. It's far more expensive than what I'd pay at home (even in SoCal) but if I'm on a long cruise, my hair drives me nuts.

It's been several years since I've gotten my hair cut on a cruise. The price is different depending on the services you want. For instance, you can get a cut or you can get a cut with a wash and blow dry. As I remember, I paid about $80 for a wash, cut, blow dry and tip. It's far more expensive than what I'd pay at home (even in SoCal) but if I'm on a long cruise, my hair drives me nuts.

thanks Pam et al. Her stylist (and our families) is the sole owner -small town...and has done our hair(s) forever. Will just let the spa ladies on the Crown take care of her....will be fun (just don't look at the bill...maybe it wil go away...don't look at the bill.:) Yes us men are thinking that could be a Crown Grill and Sabatini experience!)

My experiences with the hair salons on board have been excellent...I have had some fantastic haircuts, but they are expensive. Stop by the spa desk when you make your appointment and they will give you an estimate, which of course depends in the length of the hair and what you want done. This way there are no surprises!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thanks in advance!

John in NC

no packages for nails and haircuts and they don,t do sculptured nails if that is one of your thoughts, port specials are usually for spa treatments as far as I can remember

And if you have a picture of what you would like her hair to look like, bring it along.

I would rephrase this that she should find a photo of what hair style SHE's interested in. I've learned that my hubby has a different idea of what my style should be (he's into dorky bangs and I'm not).

I would rephrase this that she should find a photo of what hair style SHE's interested in. I've learned that my hubby has a different idea of what my style should be (he's into dorky bangs and I'm not).

You are correct.

I meant to say "picture of what she would like her hair to look like"

Although they will do a good job, my opinion, and my DW's, is that you should consider what a good cut costs, tripple it, and add a tip. Then for good measure - add an aditional $20 to cover. But, your hair will look great for at least one night!

I was on the Ruby 12/14-18 and needed to get my hair cut, but the charge for a basic cut, style, & blow dry was $68. Thought that was too high, so waited until we got onboard the Emerald on 12/19. Big mistake. Price there jumped to $75!!!:eek: I was desperate so had it done anyway. Cost with gratuity was $85. :eek: :eek: Asked why so much more on the Emerald than the Ruby & I was told each ship can set its own price & besides they didn't care what the Ruby charged: their charge was $75 plus gratuity!

To add insult to injury the haircut was pretty bad even though I gave the so-called "stylist" pictures of what it should look like. I will have to say however, that in the past when I've had to have my hair done onboard I had much better luck than with the stylist on the Emerald.

Be careful if anyone needs color(on the Star last year). Friend wanted just a touchup. She didn't want a blow dry and style. Well, instead of shampooing out the dye, they just rinsed it out. Here in the U.S. they must use shampoo.

She had dye all over her pillow at night so just rinsing doesn't get dye out of your hair. I went to the salon and asked how much touchup was, got the same price she did but they added 39.00 if I wanted it shampooed and blowdryed. I did it myself because the total was over 100.00 and that was with no haircut or style.

At home I pay $120.00 for haircut, blowdry, color. So the ship isn't much off. Just never ask for just the touchup.

I have had the works done on a shipwhich included the haircut and was really happy. That was on the Ruby.

Another thing they tell you when you ask for price in salon is , They give you a price, then say long hair extra. I have been charged for a blow dry for having long hair when my hair barely is below my ears.

thanks for looking this up!

Thanks all for your input...I am guessing $80 range out the door...depending in hair length--ha!

Yep. Also just as an FYI, DH also got his hair cut on the Emerald. His cost was $40 which included the tip.

Last month on Pacific Princess there was a special for the hot stone massage (foot/lower leg/hand/lower arm) with a full manicure/pedicure. The normal price was $129 and the special was $89. It was wonderful, but about double what I would pay at home.