Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi Ann. I did notice that about the 100km mileage but we really wanted an automatic. Was there no mileage limit on the Avis rental?

Lol you and my husband will get along famously!

Avis is unlimited mileage. I did wonder why the Budget was so much cheaper, I guess that's the reason. I couldn't see on their info what the penalty was for going over the miles but I would think they would charge per mile when the car is returned? It might not make it any more expensive than the Avis but we prefer to know upfront what things are costing. I don't know if Avis have any automatic cars though so I suppose you have to go with what's most important to you.

Ann

Hi Lars: In Bergen The Rodne tour ends at 1:00 PM and the cruise ship tours start at 9:00 and 1:00. Should I take the Rodne tour and then when the boat ride is over can I go sightseeing in the area they leave us off. Or should I just do the ships tour and forget Rodne't tour? Any tips would be appreciated. Any tips for Geiranger or Molde. Our problem is that we can't do steep hills or alot of steps. Thanks again. Iris

We are renting from Budget in Alesund (I believe Budget and Avis share the same space on Nedre Strandgt 50 - AS7 and is within walking distance). My confirmation allows 125 free KM then 1.00 NOK for each additional (approx 13 cents at current exchange). It costs $166 USD and is an automatic. We are also required to obtain an international driver's license.

Now I need to figure out approx trip distance :confused:

We are renting from Budget in Alesund (I believe Budget and Avis share the same space on Nedre Strandgt 50 - AS7 and is within walking distance). My confirmation allows 125 free KM then 1.00 NOK for each additional (approx 13 cents at current exchange). It costs $166 USD and is an automatic. We are also required to obtain an international driver's license.

Now I need to figure out approx trip distance :confused:

You can get your International Drivers License from AAA. A few years ago it was only about $15.00. Do not know if the price has increased though.

Ever since we booked our May 9 Eclipse cruise, Troll Road, Troll Road, Troll Road is all I've dreamed about and keeping my fingers x'd it'd be passable.

Now the doubts are creeping in...

-it'd be a long day and would high snowbanks prevent vistas?

-haven't heard back from the Alesund tour operators I've emailed

-Sonnmore, the Giske church, Alnes lighthouse and Fjellstua are sights that appeal to me. Maybe the aquarium, too. Are they doable by the HoHo?

I'm thinking that it might be best to keep options open in Alesund and not book a private tour. Should the Trollstigen be open on 12 May, and a ship excursion be offered, then we could book that when aboard.

Lars, please help with your advice and suggestions! Takk!

I keep hearing about the Troll road from Alesund . We are planning on doing it from Geiranger..we have rented a car and it looks closer going from there.

That is correct, right? Just getting a little nervous as I have not heard any talk about doing the Road from Geiraanger.

Hi Lars: In Bergen The Rodne tour ends at 1:00 PM and the cruise ship tours start at 9:00 and 1:00. Should I take the Rodne tour and then when the boat ride is over can I go sightseeing in the area they leave us off. Or should I just do the ships tour and forget Rodne't tour? Any tips would be appreciated. Any tips for Geiranger or Molde. Our problem is that we can't do steep hills or alot of steps. Thanks again. Iris

if you have a hard time walking I would not recommend a walking tour.

Then you are better off by doing the Rodne cruise in Bergen.

As for Geiranger; there is a "hoho" bus tour that will take you from the center of the village to the viewpoint at Flydalsjuvet and Mt. Dalsnibba.

If you want a shorter trip you could opt for the Eagle rd and Flydalsjuvet.

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/hop-on-hop-off-bus#attached-page-toggler-subpage-1

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-tour-to-mt-dalsnibba#attached-page-toggler-subpage-2

Molde; does your cruise offer a tour to the Atlantic rd and the fishing village of Bud?

If so I would recommend you to to that tour. Its a very beautiful and eventful tour.

The Atlantic road is hailed as an architectural marvel.

Ever since we booked our May 9 Eclipse cruise, Troll Road, Troll Road, Troll Road is all I've dreamed about and keeping my fingers x'd it'd be passable.

Now the doubts are creeping in...

-it'd be a long day and would high snowbanks prevent vistas?

-haven't heard back from the Alesund tour operators I've emailed

-Sonnmore, the Giske church, Alnes lighthouse and Fjellstua are sights that appeal to me. Maybe the aquarium, too. Are they doable by the HoHo?

I'm thinking that it might be best to keep options open in Alesund and not book a private tour. Should the Trollstigen be open on 12 May, and a ship excursion be offered, then we could book that when aboard.

Lars, please help with your advice and suggestions! Takk!

Well, its to early to tell if the road will be open so early or not. Lets just say that if the road is open May 12 you are in luck.

It will be a long day for sure. There will be high snowbanks for sure unless we get lots of rain, but, it will not prevent any vistas.

Sunnmøre Musueum (open air museum) and Aksla viewpoint and the aquarium are all places on the "hoho" bus.

http://www.citysightseeing.no/alesund-stops-route

http://www.opentopsightseeing.no/filer/pdf/city-sightseeing-brosjyre-alesund-2014.pdf

The Church at Giske and the Alnes lighthouse - both stunning and very unusual - are not on the bus route.

The only way to get there is by ships tour - taxi - renting a car.

You can take the public bus but it will be lengthy with bus changes.

The Church and the lighthouse is only a 20 minute drive outside Ålesund via the 3 largest subsea tunnels in Northern Europe.

Regarding booking tours - The Troll rd tour with the ships do tend to sell out. They are somewhat costly with the ship.

I do hope this shed some light on your situation - One thing for sure is that there is no need of the angst :)...You cant control the weather....If you really want to see the Troll road you should go ahead and book it...

I keep hearing about the Troll road from Alesund . We are planning on doing it from Geiranger..we have rented a car and it looks closer going from there.

That is correct, right? Just getting a little nervous as I have not heard any talk about doing the Road from Geiraanger.

2 or 3 pages back someone asked for the route from Åndalsnes via Troll road to Geiranger.

It will be the same road you are asking for but in reverse.

From Geiranger to Troll road it will take you about 1,5 -2 hrs each way. With stops and wait for the ferry I would suggest 5-6 hrs total.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Geiranger/62.4516526,7.662188/@62.3521812,7.2763919,10z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4614266d0e317cc9:0xee5b40919d3f7313!2m2!1d7.2072785!2d62.1018025!1m0!3e0

it will be the same route back.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Lars: Am I duplicating the Fjords by doing it in Bergen and stavanger?

Can I take the Rodne tour in bergen and then just walk around where they drop us off and then go back to the ship. This way we can walk at our own pace

Recommendations on what we can see in bergen where Rodne tours drop us off?

Thank you for all your help. We really want to see as much as we can in Norway.

You are great for helping everyone. Take care and enjoy your weekend. Iris

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Iris

Hi Lars: Am I duplicating the Fjords by doing it in Bergen and stavanger?

Can I take the Rodne tour in bergen and then just walk around where they drop us off and then go back to the ship. This way we can walk at our own pace

Recommendations on what we can see in bergen where Rodne tours drop us off?

Thank you for all your help. We really want to see as much as we can in Norway.

You are great for helping everyone. Take care and enjoy your weekend. Iris

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Iris

Well, yes and no. You are doing 2 fjords but they are by no means similar. How shall I put this: If you think a fjord is a fjord and if you have seen one you have seem them all, then there is no need to do both Bergen and Stavanger.

The nature in the fjords are all different.

So if you want to do as much as possible I would recommend you to do both the cruise tours.

You can walk around a bit in Bergen before and after your cruise tour.

I think I mentioned in earlier posts on this page what to see and do en route cruise ship to/from tour cruise including a map of interesting sights in Bergen.

Its in post #714.

You have a wonderful weekend too:-)

Edited by I-Cruiser

For those in Ålesund July 15-18 Ålesund will host the Small Ships Race 2015.

This should be a very interesting event with lots of stunning ships in town.

Link to the website and some stunning videos I am sure you all will enjoy:

http://www.tallshipsalesund.no/english

Edited by I-Cruiser

2 or 3 pages back someone asked for the route from Åndalsnes via Troll road to Geiranger.

It will be the same road you are asking for but in reverse.

From Geiranger to Troll road it will take you about 1,5 -2 hrs each way. With stops and wait for the ferry I would suggest 5-6 hrs total.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Geiranger/62.4516526,7.662188/@62.3521812,7.2763919,10z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4614266d0e317cc9:0xee5b40919d3f7313!2m2!1d7.2072785!2d62.1018025!1m0!3e0

it will be the same route back.

thanks, since i asked that question, I have been doing some more research. Is it feasible to do a circle starting in Geiranger, going past the Gudbrandsjuver Gorge to the Troll Road, then heading toward the Romsdalsfjorden on E136, then toward Stordal on 650, and back to Geiranger. Would this be worth the extra driving? And if so, does it matter which direction we enter the Troll Road from?

You are so patient with all our questions..probably many of them repeats!! thanks again.

thanks, since i asked that question, I have been doing some more research. Is it feasible to do a circle starting in Geiranger, going past the Gudbrandsjuver Gorge to the Troll Road, then heading toward the Romsdalsfjorden on E136, then toward Stordal on 650, and back to Geiranger. Would this be worth the extra driving? And if so, does it matter which direction we enter the Troll Road from?

You are so patient with all our questions..probably many of them repeats!! thanks again.

:) No worries - keep them coming.

Yes, you can do a circle tour. You should plan a stop at the Troll wall mountain (its just a 10-15 minutes drive from the bottom of the Troll road)

To do the circle is a nice thing to do. You will have wonderful scenery, small villages with quaint little churches. You get to drive over the mountain from Vestnes to Sjøholt and from Stordal to Liabygda/Linge (for the ferry)

Its not touristy at all when driving from Åndalsnes to Stordal. There is nothing of huge importance, but, it will be a very pleasant drive and you get to see more of Norway than if you back track to Geiranger.

Before you get to Stordal you have to drive to Sjøholt (thats where you take off to head to Stordal and towards Geiranger)Sjøholt is only a 45 minute drive from Ålesund:)

I am sure you will love every minute of your drive.

It does not matter which side you enter the Troll road from. But I would suggest you enter from above via Valldal/Gudbrandsjuvet as its more dramatic to drive down the narrow bends then up.

:) No worries - keep them coming.

Yes, you can do a circle tour. You should plan a stop at the Troll wall mountain (its just a 10-15 minutes drive from the bottom of the Troll road)

To do the circle is a nice thing to do. You will have wonderful scenery, small villages with quaint little churches. You get to drive over the mountain from Vestnes to Sjøholt and from Stordal to Liabygda/Linge (for the ferry)

Its not touristy at all when driving from Åndalsnes to Stordal. There is nothing of huge importance, but, it will be a very pleasant drive and you get to see more of Norway than if you back track to Geiranger.

Before you get to Stordal you have to drive to Sjøholt (thats where you take off to head to Stordal and towards Geiranger)Sjøholt is only a 45 minute drive from Ålesund:)

I am sure you will love every minute of your drive.

It does not matter which side you enter the Troll road from. But I would suggest you enter from above via Valldal/Gudbrandsjuvet as its more dramatic to drive down the narrow bends then up.

After a afternoon of work, and 2 glasses of wine, this is what i have come up with for my drive from Geiranger...

From Geiranger, you drive up the steep Ørnevegen (the Eagles Road, the steepest stretch of road up the mountainside from Geiranger to Eidsdal on road 63.). On the upper part of the steep hillside there is a viewpoint where you can stop and see Geiranger and the Geirangerfjord from a birds-eye perspective. From here you can also see the famous waterfall "The Seven Sisters" cascading into the fjord.

Continue the drive over the mountainpass via 63 to Eidsdal, a small town down by the Storfjord. Cross the Storfjord by ferry to Linge (check schedule for times)

http://www.fjord1.no/eng/ferry/ferry-timetables/more-og-romsdal/eidsdal-linge

Then continue driving to Valldal. Between Valldal and Trollstigen, 11 kilometres from Valldal, stop at the view point at Gudbrandsjuvet Gorge. Here you can visit Juvet Hotel. This hotel has won many prizes for its special construction and integration into its wild and beautiful surroundings. Continue on 63 to Trollstigen, about 16 kilometres from Gudbrandsjuvet. See the Stigfossen Waterfall. There are two new viewpoints at Trollstigen only a few minutes walk from the road. Not sure where these are..guess they will be hard to miss?

Stop at Troll wall mountain (its just a 10-15 minutes drive from the bottom of the Troll road)...

From Trollstigen it is only a short distance to Åndalsnes, a small town, where will we will turn onto E136 and go thru a tunnel out of town toward the Romsdalsfjord Fjord (a beautiful fjord) that runs along the E136. Continue along E136 turning off to the left onto 650 toward Stordal (another tunnel). 650 will take us to Linge, where we will get the same ferry back to Eidsdal and then to Geirangr.

Will the turn to the Troll Wall be well marked? Not sure where to look for that. .Any suggestions/corrections are more that welcome... Would like to check this port off my list as DONE!!

thanks again.

Helloo! Firstly, apologies, as I have not read this whole thread, so apologise if you have already answered these questions...

We are first time cruisers and are sailing on Britannia to the Fjords in May (so cannot wait!!).

Two places I am especially excited about are Olden and Andalsnes, however, we don't fancy paying P&O prices for the excursions...

In Olden, do you know if there any public transport or local tours put on to get to the Glacier?

And in Andalsnes, are there any local tour companies that could take us up the troll road to the visitor centre at the top?

It seems that everything only seems to open in June, but we are there at the end of May so were worried that a lot of things will actually be closed!

We would appreciate any help you can provide!

After a afternoon of work, and 2 glasses of wine, this is what i have come up with for my drive from Geiranger...

From Geiranger, you drive up the steep Ørnevegen (the Eagles Road, the steepest stretch of road up the mountainside from Geiranger to Eidsdal on road 63.). On the upper part of the steep hillside there is a viewpoint where you can stop and see Geiranger and the Geirangerfjord from a birds-eye perspective. From here you can also see the famous waterfall "The Seven Sisters" cascading into the fjord.

Continue the drive over the mountainpass via 63 to Eidsdal, a small town down by the Storfjord. Cross the Storfjord by ferry to Linge (check schedule for times)

Then continue driving to Valldal. Between Valldal and Trollstigen, 11 kilometres from Valldal, stop at the view point at Gudbrandsjuvet Gorge. Here you can visit Juvet Hotel. This hotel has won many prizes for its special construction and integration into its wild and beautiful surroundings. Continue on 63 to Trollstigen, about 16 kilometres from Gudbrandsjuvet. See the Stigfossen Waterfall. There are two new viewpoints at Trollstigen only a few minutes walk from the road. Not sure where these are..guess they will be hard to miss?

Stop at Troll wall mountain (its just a 10-15 minutes drive from the bottom of the Troll road)...

From Trollstigen it is only a short distance to Åndalsnes, a small town, where will we will turn onto E136 and go thru a tunnel out of town toward the Romsdalsfjord Fjord (a beautiful fjord) that runs along the E136. Continue along E136 turning off to the left onto 650 toward Stordal (another tunnel). 650 will take us to Linge, where we will get the same ferry back to Eidsdal and then to Geirangr.

Will the turn to the Troll Wall be well marked? Not sure where to look for that. .Any suggestions/corrections are more that welcome... Would like to check this port off my list as DONE!!

thanks again.

I love the sound of this trip only we would be doing andalsnes-geiranger-Andalsnes. Thanks for posting it.

LARS can you please add about how long it will take for this loop?

Thank you!

thanks again.

Well done - sounds you have it all covered and detailed.

1: I am not so sure you can actually visit the Juvet hotel.

Its an amazing place to spend a weekend - love it.

http://www.juvet.com/en

2: Trollstigen: The path to the viewpoint is clearly marked. Just follow the hords of people :D...It across the the artificial lake or river by the visitor center.

Lots of steps etc to get to the viewpoint but its will be worth it. Specially for the glass bottom...

3. The road to Trollveggen is clearly signed....The Troll wall is 17,4 KM from Trollveggen and without delay it will take you 17 minutes.

At the bridge - Soggebrua - where rd 63 goes into rd 136 take a right and you are on the way to Trollveggen. Its a 6 km and 6 minute drive from the bridge.

4. On the streach from Åndalsnes to Vestnes there will be more than 2 tunnels. 1 or 2 more are due to open soon.

Also before you get to Tresfjord there is a new bridge over the fjord which will cut down on the driving time about 20 minutes.

Well, DONE. You are DONE:)

PS: Make sure to pick up some chocolates from the chocolate house in Geiranger. They are home made and delicious.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Trollstigen,+6300/Trollveggen/@62.4954582,7.650729,13716m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140e70c1e7a8af:0xcc14b0e753396f9e!2m2!1d7.6767099!2d62.4578461!1m5!1m1!1s0x46140c3b9657f9cb:0xf7606439db4bc46a!2m2!1d7.7188014!2d62.4886088!3e0

I love the sound of this trip only we would be doing andalsnes-geiranger-Andalsnes. Thanks for posting it.

Thank you!

It will take approx. 5 hrs without stops and delays/ferry queues.

The ferries are frequent and it only takes 15 minute to cross the fjord (Eidsdal - Linge)

Thank you!

And if doing it from Andalsnes, which way would you recommend? Along the 136 first and back on the 63 or the other way round?

Thanks Lars,

Ann

And if doing it from Andalsnes, which way would you recommend? Along the 136 first and back on the 63 or the other way round?

Thanks Lars,

Ann

136 first and 63 back as I still prefer to drive down Trollstigen rather then up - just for dramatic effect.

Helloo! Firstly, apologies, as I have not read this whole thread, so apologise if you have already answered these questions...

We are first time cruisers and are sailing on Britannia to the Fjords in May (so cannot wait!!).

Two places I am especially excited about are Olden and Andalsnes, however, we don't fancy paying P&O prices for the excursions...

In Olden, do you know if there any public transport or local tours put on to get to the Glacier?

And in Andalsnes, are there any local tour companies that could take us up the troll road to the visitor centre at the top?

It seems that everything only seems to open in June, but we are there at the end of May so were worried that a lot of things will actually be closed!

We would appreciate any help you can provide!

You are lucky, The Britannia looks stunning.:)

The main season runs from June so some of the sights, activities etc will still be closed.

Unfortunately there are not that many tour operators unless you want to hire a large bus.

What usually happens is that the tour companies sell their services to the cruise lines as to secure booking and income.

You could contact More guides (Møre & Romsdal guide service) as I know they have a tour from Åndalsnes to the Trollstigen.

Their email address is:

post@moereguide.com

Depending on how much time you have you could do the Rauma rail road to Dombås and back.

The train has large panoramic windows. It has audio guides.

The trip takes 1,5 hrs each way.

There are 3 to 4 departures each day (depending on if you are in Åndalsnes during the week or a weekend.

If you could I would suggest you catch the 0739 departure or the 0929 departure from Åndalsnes.

Then catch the train back from Dombås to Åndalsnes at 1209.

The schedule can change so you should check the rail website closer to departure.

http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/product/?pid=72709

Official Norwegian rail website. (http://www.nsb.no)

Video of the Raumabanen/Rauma railroad:

https://www.nsb.no/reisemal/regionstrekninger/raumabanen

Reagarding Olden.

yes there is a very infrequent public bus to Briksdalsbreen.

From the drop of to the glacier it is a 40-45 minute walk.

Have you thought about the smaller Kjendalsbreen?

I will get back to you when I find out more about the public bus.

Lars