Nov/ Dec St. Thomas Balcony or Inside

Familyof3/twopups

Pretty much the same answer at St. Thomas as it is for every port - only you can decide. If you have a balcony, you have your own space but it's cost you money. If you don't have a balcony, you have saved the extra money. Your choice.

I never book a balcony - the open deck is free.

As for decks, I don't know which ship you're on. Questions about which is the best deck work a lot better if we know which ship it's on. There's been quite a rash of questions like this recently.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Pretty much the same answer at St. Thomas as it is for every port - only you can decide. If you have a balcony, you have your own space but it's cost you money. If you don't have a balcony, you have saved the extra money. Your choice.

As for decks, I don't know which ship you're on. Questions about which is the best deck work a lot better if we know which ship it's on. There's been quite a rash of questions like this recently.[/quote

I didn't clarify what I really wanted to know. For November / December cruises to St Thomas and San Juan are you more apt to have chilly nights and the like to where an inside room might be better.

We booked a veranda a couple of times and to be honest, I hardly remember anything about having it!!

We have booked inside cabins our last several trips, because frankly, we would rather spend our $$ on premium dining, cocktails, spas, etc....

Plus we like being around people, so the deck is a great place to hang and people watch....

As stated prior, it is totally a personal decision. You have to do what is likely to make you the happiest. We always have a balcony. I don't drink at all, my DH drinks very little, we don't spend a lot of money on board, so the balcony is our "splurge." I love the natural light to wake up to in the morning, I like seeing the sea from my cabin, I love the sound of the sea. Some may say they don't spend any time in their cabin so it's not worth the extra expense, but we really enjoy our balcony and I can't imagine sailing without it.

We are big fans of the balcony, it is a wonderful spot to sit and read, a quiet sanctuary all your own. I love going out there late at night to look at the stars or early in the morning to listen to ship slicing through the ocean and feel the sea breeze. It's a special experience to have a balcony, you will love it.

Jonathan

It's a personal decision, but we love having a balcony. I love the light and being able to step outside whenever I want.

I've never found it to be cold in the Caribbean in the winter; Florida can have cool spells though. St Thomas and San Juan have always been warm to hot. Of course nights are cooler, and sometimes windy, but much like a summer night at home.

We are looking to book soon but wonder if a balcony room or inside room would be best. Based on what I have read here, pretty certain I want decks 6 - 9 and toward the center. Thank you in advance.

I think that having chilly nights in Nov and Dec is something to consider if you are sailing from the new York/New Jersy but not from Florida.

We've done both. If it's a couple a' $100 more, well take it. If it's $1000 more, we'll take an additional cruise instead. The nicest part of having a balcony cabin is having a wall of windows to look out. We rarely sat out there. It's 6X12 with a wall on the left and a wall on the right. We found it much more comfortable to take a book and find a lounge chair on the promenade deck with a BIG expanse of deck to look out onto the sea. But like others have said....it's totally personal preference and what's important to YOU.

As for decks, I don't know which ship you're on. Questions about which is the best deck work a lot better if we know which ship it's on. There's been quite a rash of questions like this recently.[/quote

I didn't clarify what I really wanted to know. For November / December cruises to St Thomas and San Juan are you more apt to have chilly nights and the like to where an inside room might be better.

Even if it is chilly there is no difference to the cabin temperature between an inside and a balcony. If you have a balcony and it is chilly out just keep the door closed and adjust the thermostat to your preferred temperature.

Your decision needs to be based on if you think it is worth the extra expense to have a balcony for the view and ability to be outside while sailing or in port. Personally I always book a balcony as I feel it is worth it to me.

Generally it is still warm in the Caribbean even in the winter months.

The weather should be plenty warm for you to utilize a balcony in Nov/Dec. I've done eastern Carib cruises in both Nov and Dec and always been able to enjoy my balcony at night. No jacket or parka required. :)

• 3 weeks later...
We booked a balcony on the spa level. Looking forward to it!:D

Good choice.

We generally book balconies and junior suites if the price suits us, but I'm not above sailing in an inside or oceanview. It all depends on the cruise.

If it's our big vacation for the year, we always book at least a balcony. If it's a short cruise or a cheap getaway, sometimes we book a lower category.

Having a balcony makes the nights and mornings so much more enjoyable!