Venice ban on Cruise Ships

seasicksherds

Hi everyone, just seen a clip on you tube about Large cruise ships being banned from grand canal 2014 and possibly docking elsewhere across from venice, if this change of port happens how soon will the cruise line let me know (MSC) and will they compensate for the extra cost of travel expenses..???:eek:

You might want to read this thread on the Italy boards about cruise ships and Venice in 2014; it appears changes are already starting:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961804

I am so glad that I took the advance warning seriously and cruised into Venice last year.

will have a read Thanx..

There have been a lot of posts about this topic (a few by me) that has tried to separate fact from fantasy/speculation. Large cruise ships (those over 96,000 tons) will be totally banned from the Giudecca Canal in November 2014 (after the summer cruise ship season) with some cutbacks taking place immediately. The ships that are banned from that canal will still be able to dock at a mainland commercial port (there are a couple of options) which means their passengers will have to be bussed into Venice. The long range plan is to dredge out a new channel (on the other side of Giudecca Island) that would allow cruise ships to access the current cruise port without transitting close to Venice. But given that we are talking about Italy, one will need to wait and see how this plays out over the next few years. There is a lot of political sentiment in Venice to have a new cruise port/terminal built on the mainland (probably near Mestre) to handle the future...but there are others who think that the current Port, which has been built at great expense, should still be utilized. Only time will tell the final solution...but our guess would be that the really large mega-ships will be relegated to a mainland port while smaller ships will get to use the current cruise ship port...probably with a newly dredged channel. The Italians talk about having a new channel within 2 years....but being Italy that is certainly an optimistic projection. Meanwhile, folks who have Venice on their cruise itinerary in 2014 are just going to have to wait and see where they dock.

Hank

I read somewhere that from December 2013 through to April 2014 they are doing something to the flood barriers so all cruise ships cannot use the usual route or port. After April the very large ships might have to dock elsewhere but others will continue to use the usual port. Then from November 2014 they hope to stop all ships using the usual route and port.

I read somewhere that from December 2013 through to April 2014 they are doing something to the flood barriers so all cruise ships cannot use the usual route or port. After April the very large ships might have to dock elsewhere but others will continue to use the usual port. Then from November 2014 they hope to stop all ships using the usual route and port.

What constitute a very large ship? Would the NCL Jade be in that category. I would considerate a mid-size ship but just checking.