Newbie - Dress Code?

rhinomike

Yes. This is how I dress at fine resteraunts. I have NEVER been turned away or questioned. Times have changed. We frequent 5 star resteraunts and dress ranges from shorts with Polos to jackets and ties. It doesn't make the food taste any different.

If I am in Chilis, Denny's or McDonald's and you come in dressed foraml in a tux I won't mind. My food will taste the same. It will not affect my time. I have better things to do than gossip about you, look down on you or worry about it.

Now I try to follow the rules but I also like to be comfortable. I have been on other cruise lines and have seen many passengers with shorts in the MDR. But if you read on here members say no and it s not acceptable. Just trying to get a feeling of Celebrity since w have never tried it out.

Well back east, in most cases you'd not be admitted! This isn't Silicon Valley & it's inability to show a little sense of class & style. Then again it IS California.No desire to visit, thank you! Yes, I've never seen anyone in a tux in Micky D/Chilies/Applebees(why would they?)So what other cruise lines have you tried??Seems only Carnival to me. Carnival owns..Cunard/HAL/Princess/Costa/P&O/Seaborne. RCCL owns Celebrity & 50% of NCL. As you can see many of the lines are owned by a few megalines. Look at Carnival as General Motors..Carnival(Chevy)Cunard(Cadillac)HAL(Buick)Princess(Pontiac)Each of these lines has their own schtick..Carnival..Fun Ships,Cunard formal oceanliner travel,HAL laid back(well..retired)You get the picture. When pax refuse to follow the "rules" of the line, what happens?? It just starts to merge into a big mess. That's why(out of RESPECT to those who pay for their trip))you should at least make an attempt to follow the rules. Trust me, if I saw you on Cunard & you dress as you say you like to,I'd get you booted out of the MDR. I've done it before. Sorry, guy, but when I pay good money, I don't pay to see slovenly dress at night. I'm sure many will agree & I'm sure plenty will disagree.

Well back east, in most cases you'd not be admitted! This isn't Silicon Valley & it's inability to show a little sense of class & style. Then again it IS California.No desire to visit, thank you! Yes, I've never seen anyone in a tux in Micky D/Chilies/Applebees(why would they?)So what other cruise lines have you tried??Seems only Carnival to me. Carnival owns..Cunard/HAL/Princess/Costa/P&O/Seaborne. RCCL owns Celebrity & 50% of NCL. As you can see many of the lines are owned by a few megalines. Look at Carnival as General Motors..Carnival(Chevy)Cunard(Cadillac)HAL(Buick)Princess(Pontiac)Each of these lines has their own schtick..Carnival..Fun Ships,Cunard formal oceanliner travel,HAL laid back(well..retired)You get the picture. When pax refuse to follow the "rules" of the line, what happens?? It just starts to merge into a big mess. That's why(out of RESPECT to those who pay for their trip))you should at least make an attempt to follow the rules. Trust me, if I saw you on Cunard & you dress as you say you like to,I'd get you booted out of the MDR. I've done it before. Sorry, guy, but when I pay good money, I don't pay to see slovenly dress at night. I'm sure many will agree & I'm sure plenty will disagree.

I'll take "slovenly dress" over rude, boorish behaviour any day of the week. As I'm sure most of the joints "back east" would too.

Me, my wife and our 4 teenage sons have cruised on.... Carnival, NCL, RCCL, HAL and Princess. Majority on Carnival. We are all platinum on Carnival. All together over 35 cruises.

Like I stated originally.... I try to to obey the rules. If I cruise on Celebrity I will adhere to the dress code in the MDR. But it will be at the very minimal of the dress code. Sorry if it ruins your time. My experience with people that dress up for dinner and expect others to do the same is that they are trying to be something they are not. I don't need to dress up to impress anyone or be something I am not. I sold my factory and retired 10 years ago at the age of 30. Been enjoying life ever since. No need to impress anyone.

You will find plenty of reports on here that would suggest this is patently false. A perusal of dress code threads on here (new ones started almost daily) will reveal a campaign by a small but vociferous group who refuse to accept that the tradition of formal night appears to be making its last dying gasps.

You get a better perspective from actual experience rather than reading the anti dress code stuff posted here infinitum. It really is a non-issue, but from the pages of the Celebrity board you'd think it was;)

Phil

You get a better perspective from actual experience rather than reading the anti dress code stuff posted here infinitum. It really is a non-issue, but from the pages of the Celebrity board you'd think it was;)

Phil

Amazing how many people who cruise the "casual lines" try to suggest that "the sky is falling" when posting on Celebrity dress code threads without actually experiencing a Celebrity cruise.

Some people (mostly men) hate to be dressed formal while on vacation and prefer to feel comfortable in casual clothings ...

Please put on a dress shirt and necktie for a few hours before making such statements. For those who aren't used to it, it's pretty awful; for those who do it every day, it's probably worse. Wearing a shirt and tie really stinks. If I want to eat in the MDR on formal night, I'll probably do it, but don't think it's no biggie just because it's not you doing it.

Jim

Me, my wife and our 4 teenage sons have cruised on.... Carnival, NCL, RCCL, HAL and Princess. Majority on Carnival. We are all platinum on Carnival. All together over 35 cruises.

Like I stated originally.... I try to to obey the rules. If I cruise on Celebrity I will adhere to the dress code in the MDR. But it will be at the very minimal of the dress code. Sorry if it ruins your time. My experience with people that dress up for dinner and expect others to do the same is that they are trying to be something they are not. I don't need to dress up to impress anyone or be something I am not. I sold my factory and retired 10 years ago at the age of 30. Been enjoying life ever since. No need to impress anyone.

You're just "expected" to just follow the rules that are laid down by the cruiseline. If you can't, then do us all a favor & stick to Carnival!

Out of respect for your wife you should at least still try to impress her. Forget dressing up for the ship's rules or the other passengers. Isn't it really all about you and your spouse that matters the most. If you feel comfortable with her when those formal photos are taken and she looks like a million dollars dressed to the nines and beside her in the photo is you that looks like you just left the Daytona 500 race, then so be it. She may not say it but deep down she's pretty steamed about it and I'd bet she will not buy the photo, which is not good for her self respect but good for you because you were able to save another $29.95 on a cruise. Even those Duck Dynasty guys know when to put on a tie and when not to.

You're just "expected" to just follow the rules that are laid down by the cruiseline. If you can't, then do us all a favor & stick to Carnival!

Funny. Comments like that make me want to wear shorts in the MDR. Funny how people like you get their feathers all ruffled over something as silly as what others wear. Like high school again.

Out of respect for your wife you should at least still try to impress her. Forget dressing up for the ship's rules or the other passengers. Isn't it really all about you and your spouse that matters the most. If you feel comfortable with her when those formal photos are taken and she looks like a million dollars dressed to the nines and beside her in the photo is you that looks like you just left the Daytona 500 race, then so be it. She may not say it but deep down she's pretty steamed about it and I'd bet she will not buy the photo, which is not good for her self respect but good for you because you were able to save another $29.95 on a cruise. Even those Duck Dynasty guys know when to put on a tie and when not to.

That is good advice. But to be honest my wife hates dressing up too. We are a perfect couple. Lol. But you are correct. If she wanted me to dress up I would. Like I said if we book Celebrity we will adhere to the rules. We really like to eat in the MDR.

Maybe I can get a camo tux like Duck Dynatsy. Lol.

Funny. Comments like that make me want to wear shorts in the MDR. Funny how people like you get their feathers all ruffled over something as silly as what others wear. Like high school again.

It's because we RESPECT the rules. Obviously,you think you're special enough to make your own!

Funny how civilized observe proper etiquette. Just wear a decent shirt & slacks & call it a day.

It's because we RESPECT the rules. Obviously,you think you're special enough to make your own!

Funny how I have said 5 times that if we choose Celebrity I will adhere to the rules and dress code. Just as I do on any other cruise line.

How do I not RESPECT the rules?

We cruise celebrity often my husband does not like to dress up. He wears casual pants and short sleeve button shirts most nights and formal night black slacks and long sleeve dress shirt, sometimes with a tie sometimes not. It's never been a problem. He blends in just fine. Skip the shorts and you will be fine there will be everything from tux to tshirts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We cruise celebrity often my husband does not like to dress up. He wears casual pants and short sleeve button shirts most nights and formal night black slacks and long sleeve dress shirt, sometimes with a tie sometimes not. It's never been a problem. He blends in just fine. Skip the shorts and you will be fine there will be everything from tux to tshirts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Perfect. Thank you. Good information. I have no problem with this.

On the 3 lines we have cruised, have never once seen shorts in the MDR. Would never have considered it.

That being said....

DH took suit jacket first few cruises; he doesn't anymore. Dress shirt & tie for formal nights has been sufficient. Just can't see putting on a jacket to walk into a dining room, take it off to eat, carry it out & put it away...of course, I love to dress for dinner EVERY night on a cruise...:p

Our first cruise one of our fellow diners wore a polo the 2nd formal night. His wife threw a fit. He said his jacket was too tight. No one cared--we thoroughly enjoyed his (and her) company; we were more concerned that they were there than whether he wore a jacket or not.

I would say other than Carnival & NCL, shorts are not considered proper MDR attire--and you won't see many, if any. But formal night will bring a wide range of attire & you won't be turned away if you aren't in a jacket.

I have seen shorts in the MDR on Royal Caribbean at dinner several times. On Celebrity I have seen passengers turned away with shorts on.

I have seen shorts in the MDR on Royal Caribbean at dinner several times. On Celebrity I have seen passengers turned away with shorts on.

Thank you. That is what I am gathering here. Nice shorts are ok on RCL, Carnival, NCL..... Bit not on Celebrity.

You will find plenty of reports on here that would suggest this is patently false. A perusal of dress code threads on here (new ones started almost daily) will reveal a campaign by a small but vociferous group who refuse to accept that the tradition of formal night appears to be making its last dying gasps.

(for the record, I am looking forward to donning my tux - but do not subscribe to the belief that everyone else should be made to do the same).

Ma Bell and I usually disagree in these dress code threads (always politely) as I would prefer if the dress code explicitly permitted sport coats and blazers and she would prefer a return to more elegant and formal times. Her statement, however, that the vast majority of passengers on Celebrity comply with the dress code (at least by wearing at least a jacket) is still true in my experience.

Celebrity does routinely (but not always) hand out jackets to people who aren't wearing one on formal nights. They don't make you put it on, but they give it to you. In my experience, compliance with the dress code is still high, but dropping.

I love dressing up. Love formal nights.

Well, until I started having to pay $25-35 per suitcase each way. It's a lot of space for two outfits and two pairs of shoes that will get worn once in a week. But I hate the buffet, so I make it happen.

Thankfully Southwest now flies out of my city and I can check my bags for free.