Bringing alcohol onboard - seeking clarity

DISNEY GIRL

Hello there - hubby and I love our G&Ts on our balcony, so generally bring a bottle of gin on board for our cabin use only. So I'm a little disappointed to learn that NCL have the no alcohol to be brought on-board policy. Do they actually scan all suitcases on arrival checking for alcohol, or do they just check your bags when you return from a port?

Hello there - hubby and I love our G&Ts on our balcony, so generally bring a bottle of gin on board for our cabin use only. So I'm a little disappointed to learn that NCL have the no alcohol to be brought on-board policy. Do they actually scan all suitcases on arrival checking for alcohol, or do they just check your bags when you return from a port?

Both.

I agree, they do both... I was very surprised to learn that Disney Cruise Lines allows people to bring their own liquor onboard.. Out of all of the cruises lines I have sailed bringing liquor onboard was not allowed, expect a bottle of wine or two.

rumrunnerflasks dot com

And pack in your suitcase with your toiletries.

You can pre-order bar set up, Gin available is:

Beefeater $83 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $103 1 Ltr

You get 3 mixers and 3 "garnishes" per bottle with that.

You can buy the bottle of gin on board, the brands listed last month on the Star were

Bombay Sapphire $100+15% gratuity 1 Ltr

TRU Organic $120+15% gratuity 1 Ltr

There were no 'house' brands listed! Seems odd.

On board it said 6 mixers per bottle, no garnishes.

Those prices may take your breath away but they are a bit more than half of buying the same liquor by the 1.5oz jigger for US$5.75/6.25/6.75 respectively, and convenient to your cabin.

The pre-order e-mail for the Star was GroupEventStar@ncl.com

So I guess yours would be GroupEvent[ship's name]@ncl.com

I ordered a bottle of bourbon for my room. Assume I run through the provided soda, do they sell, like, six packs of soda on board?

Also, can one bring an (empty) flask on board? I'd love to be able to fill the flask from the cocktails maid in my room.

Richard/Tralfie

Anyone know if you can buy these in the UK? I have a friend who would like to buy them;):rolleyes:

When we first started cruising in my late 20's, I ordered them and the company delivered them to Finland. Maybe I'm getting old (by being already 30+ ;)) but nowadays I think that the hassle with the RRs is way too time consuming and causes uncesessary worries about the cork leaking, bag being noticed etc and in general is just not worth it after the initial thrill wears off. All in all I've carried almost as much liquor off the ship in RRs that I brough onboard - drinking alone in the cabin just doesn't do it for me. :D

The mixers (diet pepsi) we got from the bartender to go with our pre-ordered Captain Morgan came as cans to store in our emptied fridge. So you should be able to get more that way (possibly US$2.50 a can?).

Also you can bring soda on board from any port you have time to find a convenience store, or at the start in your carryon.

You can bring your own adult sippy cup (or buy one in the gift shop) so I don't know why not a flask. There may or may not be a problem carrying it off board at ports -- food products in general at all of our Panama Canal ports had to be factory sealed to take off or bring on.

I ordered a bottle of bourbon for my room. Assume I run through the provided soda, do they sell, like, six packs of soda on board?

Also, can one bring an (empty) flask on board? I'd love to be able to fill the flask from the cocktails maid in my room.

No packs, only single cans and increasing amounts glass poured sodas from fountain or large bottles. You can bring as much 6, 12 or even 24 packs of cans onboard as you like - much cheaper and easier to have your own stash in the cabin.

I don't know about the flask, our friends on one cruise brought their insulated (big!!) travel mugs that they filled in their cabin (in DOS they had three complimentary bottles of liqour and complimentary sodas/mixers).

Richard/Tralfie

you can bring soda on board - grab some before you board to get you started

We brought a flask too but you can only take it off and not drink your own cocktails around the ship

When we first started cruising in my late 20's, I ordered them and the company delivered them to Finland. Maybe I'm getting old (by being already 30+ ;)) but nowadays I think that the hassle with the RRs is way too time consuming and causes uncesessary worries about the cork leaking, bag being noticed etc and in general is just not worth it after the initial thrill wears off. All in all I've carried almost as much liquor off the ship in RRs that I brough onboard - drinking alone in the cabin just doesn't do it for me. :D

Agreed, not worth it, the worst situation would be the runners being discovered:(

I do intend taking wine on board on my next cruise and paying the corkage. That way you can have your favourite wine on board.

Richard/Tralfie

You must be in a fancy suite if it comes with a maid who makes you cocktails. Impressive. ;)

Edited by ColinIllinois

We brought a flask too but you can only take it off and not drink your own cocktails around the ship

I'm not sure what this meant. If you have bar setup (bought either pre- or post-sailing), or corkage-paid wine in your stateroom, you CAN carry your drinks anywhere on board.

I thought the glasses in the room were too small to make it worthwhile, but next time I *will* bring my favorite sippy cup, a new one without the impregnated coffee flavor!