4 Separate Lines/Cruises.. Which one to take?

ca389

My brother-in-law, sister-in-law, girlfriend and I are planning on taking a cruise the third week of March of this year. None of us have any helpful cruising experience and are completely lost about which line/ship to take.

We are currently debating between taking the Ruby Princess to Turks and Caicos, Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas to Nassau and Cocoa Cay, Carnival’s Ecstasy going to Cozumel and Norwegians’ Sky going to Nassau and Freeport.

I have traveled on the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas as a teen, but don’t have much to go on as an adult. We are two couples in our mid-twenties to early-thirties who definitely aren’t rowdy partiers, but want to spend some time at the bars. Our priorities are on-board activities, good food and relatively fun ports. All of our research has confused us—we’ve heard Princess is geared for older, Carnival for younger, RC for families, etc. But seen differing opinions on food and on board activities.

We don’t want to be the youngest ones on the ship, but also don’t want to be in the middle of a college party. Since we are going at the end of March, I think that most of the cruises (on all lines) will probably trend younger due to Spring Breaks, but I obviously can’t be sure of that. Anyone who has first-hand experience on the ships, any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

My brother-in-law, sister-in-law, girlfriend and I are planning on taking a cruise the third week of March of this year. None of us have any helpful cruising experience and are completely lost about which line/ship to take.

We are currently debating between taking the Ruby Princess to Turks and Caicos, Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas to Nassau and Cocoa Cay, Carnival’s Ecstasy going to Cozumel and Norwegians’ Sky going to Nassau and Freeport.

I have traveled on the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas as a teen, but don’t have much to go on as an adult. We are two couples in our mid-twenties to early-thirties who definitely aren’t rowdy partiers, but want to spend some time at the bars. Our priorities are on-board activities, good food and relatively fun ports. All of our research has confused us—we’ve heard Princess is geared for older, Carnival for younger, RC for families, etc. But seen differing opinions on food and on board activities.

We don’t want to be the youngest ones on the ship, but also don’t want to be in the middle of a college party. Since we are going at the end of March, I think that most of the cruises (on all lines) will probably trend younger due to Spring Breaks, but I obviously can’t be sure of that. Anyone who has first-hand experience on the ships, any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic Ca389. Personally, I would go with the Ruby Princess. I have yet to cruise with this line, but, from everything I have read they are a very solid and traditional cruise line with terrific service, great food and plenty of on board activities to keep you busy. You will meet people of all ages on board Princess. The shorter 5-day cruises attract a younger crowd.

Carnival and NCL are not my speed. I would vote for Princess. You might also consider the Celebrity Constellation they have a nice 5-day itinerary that stops in Key West, Florida. Celebrity is a great line, beautiful ships with great service. Either Celebrity or Princess would be perfect.

Jonathan

I'm curious for all the commenters, why not NCL?

That would be my last recommendation of the given choices. Did it twice. Never again.

Like everyone else so far, I recommend Ruby. For a short cruise, I think Ruby is one of the best ships available. Also, take a look at Celebrity Constellation. The third week of March is Spring Break time, so I would stay far away from the Ecstasy, Sky and Majesty.

Thank you for all the feedback so far! My gut has agreed with most commenters and is saying Ruby, but my travel mates were worried it might be "boring". I will be showing them this thread in hopes to change their minds!

Although we've not yet sailed on Princess, based on what I've read about the Ruby Princess, and from the choices you've listed, I would choose the Ruby Princess. Are you limited to cruising in March? If you want to avoid the Spring Break crowd, could you go a little later, like in early or mid May? You might want to go to YouTube and look for videos posted from people that have been on each of the ships you've listed. I'm sure you've heard the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words". Although a video can't really convey what it's like to be on a cruise, it can at least give you some idea of what to expect.

I've been on the Ecstasy. Honestly, it is not a ship I would want to cruise on again. :(

We love NCL, but given the itineraries you listed, Princess sounds better. I would guess Carnival and NCL would draw more of the party scene, especially over spring break. Princess has tons of activities--I can't imagine being bored!

I would also choose Ruby Princess over the others. I like Carnival, but I would choose the Princess experience over Carnival during Spring Break. I haven't sailed Royal Caribbean, and my experience on NCL is to limited to form an opinion. but NCL does not offer the type of traditional cruise we prefer, so we avoid them. EM

Although we've not yet sailed on Princess, based on what I've read about the Ruby Princess, and from the choices you've listed, I would choose the Ruby Princess. Are you limited to cruising in March? If you want to avoid the Spring Break crowd, could you go a little later, like in early or mid May? You might want to go to YouTube and look for videos posted from people that have been on each of the ships you've listed. I'm sure you've heard the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words". Although a video can't really convey what it's like to be on a cruise, it can at least give you some idea of what to expect.

Unfortunately, we all are in the education field and work summers... so this is our one chance! But with all these recommendations, we are looking forward to sailing on the Ruby :)

I have only sailed with Princess, so have nothing to compare it with, but having done about 20 Princess cruises should indicate that they must be doing something right!!! I have no reason to try anyone else!

My take on Princess is that they are classy without being snobby. I've never seen any sloppy drunks. There are no wet tee shirt contests.

I spent 19 consecutive days on the Ruby about a year ago, and she's a lovely ship.

You'll find all different age groups on a Caribbean cruise. There will be plenty of activities offered, so you can be as busy as you like, or just hang out by the pools and relax.

Hope you enjoy your time on the Ruby!!

Why don't you also take a look at Celebrity? They are known for the best food among mainstream cruise lines, amazing bars, and beautiful ships. The average ages on board will be younger than Princess, and shows are on par with Royal Caribbean (except Oasis class).