Poor service with beverage packages?

marciab

I'm sorry but that is quite a ridiculous assumption, a bar is a bar, even a Martini bar should carry a variety of drinks.
The Martini Bar does carry a variety of drinks, but the main purpose is skewed towards the making of martini's and there will an abundance of different vodkas and gins to make this happen. Because of space restrictions, this particular bar will not keep in stock a full array of BEER choices. My statement was in response to a poster that was upset and stated that it was "unacceptable" that they ran out of certain types of beers. On my Summit cruise last October, the Martini bar ran out of espresso vodka, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I just switched to another type of drink. You're on vacation, so flexibility and adaptability should come into play once in awhile.

I hope this isn't the case on the Summit in February!

We had good bar service on our first X cruise on the Millennium but the packages were relatively new and it was before the 1-2-3 Go promotions.

But we had a really horrible experience with our sommelier in the MDR. On the first night he came over to introduce himself. When I mentioned that my husband doesn't drink wine and that I would be ordering by the glass, his wrinkled up his nose and said, quite rudely, that the bar waiter would be able to take care of us for THAT. I had heard such great things about this service and had been looking forward to his suggestions for pairings with my meal so I was a little upset. Friends of ours at another table had the Classic package and received attentive service from their sommelier so go figure.

Thankfully our bar waiter was awesome. He and the bartender in Michael's Club who did the whiskey tastings really made our trip in terms of excellent staff. They both got extra tips for their exemplary service.

We were on the Silhouette last week and the six of us had the free classic package. As some have mentioned, service at the pool bar and the martini bar varied on the time of day. Since we had select dining, we got much faster service at the martini bar after the early diners went to the dining room. The sommelier could not have been more attentive. We were joking yesterday that he was a little too attentive.:rolleyes: The dining room bar server was not always around but always made a point of stopping at our table by the time we'd ordered dinner. We found that if we wanted a drink as we began our dinner, we were best off if we got it elsewhere and took it in with us. For the person in our party who wanted Diet Coke with her meal, the server's timing was just fine.

Overall, I think the quality of our service was pretty similar to what we have experienced without a package.

Edited by 2theship

I do fear that with more and more people opting for the drink packages, the bar staff will not be able to accommodate everyone's requests in a timely manner. (especially hearing how people will just order a drink to try it and if they don't like it they will order another...and another...) This takes time and while that is the fun of having the drink package it is a reality that service can and will slow down. I'm envisioning for instance, the Martini bar before dinnertime at 3 people deep yelling "I've been waiting here 20 minutes!" I know from previous experience when I placed an order at poolside, it took quite some time to have the drink arrive, particularly on an at-sea day. When I requested fresh squeezed juice or smoothie in the afternoon, I was told it was not available, presumably because it would have taken too much time to go to another bar/kitchen for the necessary fruit while other people impatiently waited for their drinks. Not sure what the solution is, except I guess I must be more patient but one can't help being frustrated that by Celebrity providing this very tempting package, it has not had the foresight to anticipate and resolve the potential problems it may cause.

Tennisqueen, I think you have hit ons oemthing there. We noticed that a lot of times in the Sky Lounge (where we perceived service to be worst) the servers had to disappear into the back to get drinks. This was usually wine and beer - the cocktails which we normally drank were made at the bar in front of DH.

This inevitably slows down the service, and we noticed that soemtimes the server would be gone for a few minutes, as if the drink they needed wasn't available there either, and had to be retrieved form elsewhere.

With the number of people accommodated in large bars like the Sky Lounge, there clearly isn't enough room at the bar itself to stock all of the drinks available. Apart from having a larger bar (less space) and more servers (increased cost) I don't know what the answer is, one of the thigns we do to mitigate this is to be more selective about which drinks we order in which bars!

Tennisqueen, I think you have hit ons oemthing there. We noticed that a lot of times in the Sky Lounge (where we perceived service to be worst) the servers had to disappear into the back to get drinks. This was usually wine and beer - the cocktails which we normally drank were made at the bar in front of DH.

This inevitably slows down the service, and we noticed that soemtimes the server would be gone for a few minutes, as if the drink they needed wasn't available there either, and had to be retrieved form elsewhere.

With the number of people accommodated in large bars like the Sky Lounge, there clearly isn't enough room at the bar itself to stock all of the drinks available. Apart from having a larger bar (less space) and more servers (increased cost) I don't know what the answer is, one of the thigns we do to mitigate this is to be more selective about which drinks we order in which bars!

the other thing to do is make sure the staff member will remember you and they will always bring you a drink, sometimes before you have even ordered one.;)

the other thing to do is make sure the staff member will remember you and they will always bring you a drink, sometimes before you have even ordered one.;)

We thought of that, but we always wanted to try somethign we hadn't had before - the joys of the Premium Drinks Package!

We almost got through the whole menu in the Molecular Bar, where the service was brilliant!

(I hasten to add, it was a 14 night cruise!)

We thought of that, but we always wanted to try somethign we hadn't had before - the joys of the Premium Drinks Package!

We almost got through the whole menu in the Molecular Bar, where the service was brilliant!

(I hasten to add, it was a 14 night cruise!)

I know what you mean, I had a premium package once and worked my way through the list of Martinis, 3 or 4 per night (sometimes more). It was a waste of time as at the end i couldn't remember which ones I really liked and which ones I didn't.:p

That is definitely more true during dinner where you may have the same waiter each night.

Seems all I have read lately is about the poor, lacking or downright rude service on Celebrity. Butlers not doing their jobs, bartenders not doing their jobs, waiters, sommeliers etc. I admit it has been since 2002 since my last cruise with Celebrity and all cruises I have taken have been on Celebrity and in suites. Their service was always exceptional and I would expect no less this time around. Family sez the line has really gone down hill. Will be on the Summit in a few months and am hoping and praying that Celebrity has not become the Wal-Mart of the seas! I will let you know when I have finished my vacation!

June,

Do not believe all the negative talk....your vacation will be GREAT....case in point.....ME!!!

We had a poor sommelier and slow drink service, but guess what? Our vacation was great. Human nature is to mention the negative, especially on these boards. It's like the news.....it's all negative.....only because good is boring.

You will find Celebrity is just as good as you remember....different, but still good. Promise you'll come back and tell us so!!!

They can...there is an area behind the door (in the Martini Bar) where they can get anything you need. If they didn't get it for you...they are being lazy and not doing their job!

I agree, you should ask to see the manager, if you don't get service. If that does not work, you can go to Guest Services and ask to speak to the who's encharge of the bar service.

Seems all I have read lately is about the poor, lacking or downright rude service on Celebrity. Butlers not doing their jobs, bartenders not doing their jobs, waiters, sommeliers etc. I admit it has been since 2002 since my last cruise with Celebrity and all cruises I have taken have been on Celebrity and in suites. Their service was always exceptional and I would expect no less this time around. Family sez the line has really gone down hill. Will be on the Summit in a few months and am hoping and praying that Celebrity has not become the Wal-Mart of the seas! I will let you know when I have finished my vacation!

The bartenders work as hard as they can...they just can't keep up at times due to only two in the Marinti Bar. I feel for them.

I am pleased to say that it certainly isn't.:D

Thank you, you have made my evening. No matter the negative reviews, DH and I are looking forward to this cruise and will board with a positive attitude.:):):):)

In the words of Brian "always look on the bright side of life" and you will be sweet.:D

I DO wonder if X tries to control how many drinks you have by reducing the number of bartenders. Harder to drink yourself silly if you have to walk from bar to bar!

This gave me a brain storm... Will check out each bar on my Reflection cruise and report back or is that stumble back with a review....:o:p

WOW! We were on Connie in Dec. for a 5 night cruise and had the package and had the BEST service we've ever had. We purposely get "to know" a bartender or two at different locations and they were always responsive ... we love the package, no checks to sign, no bill at the end....and we thought great service too...sorry you had a different experience.
How do you "purposely get "to know" a bartender " ? Does this involve cash ?

How do you "make sure the staff member will remember you " ? Does this involve cash ?

Thank you, you have made my evening. No matter the negative reviews, DH and I are looking forward to this cruise and will board with a positive attitude.:):):):)

You will have a great time!

As far as bar service...it's all about timing.

Late seating on Reflection in Blu...

Martini Bar by 7:00 pm you will find a seat. Order LARGE Grey Goose Dirty Martini ( if not on the beverage package)

Head to the Ensemble Lounge 7:30 order second LARGE martini and watch for the crowds to begin for BLU. Great Jazz Band and bartender Vicent

Walk right into BLU with your third LARGE martini in hand. This is where the bread basket comes in handy :) Nicolina in BLU is also very very good when ordering martinis and/or wine.

Easy peasy!

Edited by 20pluscruises

How do you "purposely get "to know" a bartender " ? Does this involve cash ?

How do you "make sure the staff member will remember you " ? Does this involve cash ?

Same as you would at your favorite restaurant or bar back home. Call them by name, talk to them, etc. I've found bartenders to be very friendly on Celebrity. When they ask you where you are from ask them about where they are from, ask them how long they've been on celebrity, how long they've been on the ship, etc. Typically they will take a few moments to make your drink and this is a great time to start chatting. Ask them about their favorite bars or restaurants at certain ports or ask them which port is their favorite and why. We once booked a specific cruise because one of our bartenders told us how amazing the itinerary was.

We've always enjoyed great service because of this but the best part is we really enjoyed our time at the bar. We would look forward to telling our new befriended bartenders our adventures of the day and we always enjoyed hearing their stories about everything from problem guests to the great dinner they had in port on their day off.

At the end of the cruise we always go up to our favorite bartenders / servers to tip and thank them personally. I've always treated every server and bartender like they were a good friend of mine who just happened to be working at the bar I walked into and I almost always receive better service and have an enjoyable time. Just my 2 cents but I hope it helps.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!