Formal Attire?

BrandonH

We will be doing a 7 day Western Carribean next month on the CB out of Houston. We have been on several Carnival cruises along with one cruise with Disney. We noticed that people's definition of formal attire varied a lot. I have searched for details about Princess and it seems that even though a coat and tie may he required and some Maitre D's aren't as strict as others. I currently do not have a coat that fits and am in the process of dropping some weight. I hate to go spend money on a coat for a one time thing knowing I won't fit in it once I lose weight. I have plenty of slack, shirts, & ties...would this be acceptable without a coat? We would just skip the formal nights, however we are traveling with friends and want to eat with them for dinner.

Thanks for any input.

You might want to consider renting...

Cruiseline Formalwear is the company Princess uses for tuxedo rentals. I have used them three times and have had nothing but good experiences. Check out their web site here.

Be sure to try on your tux soon after you receive it in case a garment needs to be switched out or adjusted. See your cabin steward for any adjustments.

Lew

Over a period of three months I cruised twice on the same Princess ship. Two different matre de's. One had no issue with just shirts and ties and the other was basically no jacket, no dinner. There were people with open collars but they all had a sports jacket. As much as I love Princess and cruise them exclusivly these days I wish the policy, regardless of which way they go, was enforced consistantly across all of the fleet. If there is anyway you can bring a jacket (borrow one?) I would do so and avoid any potential disappointment. Have a great trip.

I have a feeling on the Carib cruise, you would get into the dining room without a jacket. Those cruises can be more casual on formal nights. (compared to longer European cruises) If dh had the situation you expressed, I'd probably suggest going to a specialty restuarant or the buffet if he wouldn't wear a jacket. I like dressing in a black cocktail dress and he would "fit" me better in at least a sport coat. You will see some men wear jackets in and take them off when they are eating. Not sure why, but some do. So you could always wear one of your jackets in and if it's too small to button or be comfortable, take it off. Not sure tho that's worth packing the jacket then. :rolleyes: No one here can tell you exactly what you'll find from your maitre d. Just be prepared to leave if asked to.

Consistency across the ships in most policies isn't a strong point.

Edited by eandj

just subbing, this is interesting because we are going with 3 young kids (!) and in prior cruising pre-kids, we do enjoy the formal wear. Now its a totall nightmare getting us all dressed in *something* at all, so my husb was hoping to just do long sleeve shirt/tie, skip jacket... sigh. -- or eat at buffet then?

We will be doing a 7 day Western Carribean next month on the CB out of Houston. We have been on several Carnival cruises along with one cruise with Disney. We noticed that people's definition of formal attire varied a lot. I have searched for details about Princess and it seems that even though a coat and tie may he required and some Maitre D's aren't as strict as others. I currently do not have a coat that fits and am in the process of dropping some weight. I hate to go spend money on a coat for a one time thing knowing I won't fit in it once I lose weight. I have plenty of slack, shirts, & ties...would this be acceptable without a coat? We would just skip the formal nights, however we are traveling with friends and want to eat with them for dinner.

Thanks for any input.

I have rented a Tux for our cruises. It's a lot easier than hauling a Dunner jacket with you especially if your flying. If driving rent a tux from a Men's Clothing store where you live. They'll fit the jacket and pants properly for you. I also have lost about 20 lbs in the last 24 months and my jacket doesn't fit properly ether.

I recently purchased a Ralph Lauren Tux at Macy's on sale for $295 prior to our last cruise. At that price I figure I will have paid it off relatively quick. I am sure that my tux will fit me and do not have to worry about length, breadth or anything else. As for my wife and I we really look forward to formal nights. Living in Oklahoma where for the most part, dressing up means khakis and polos for men and slack outfit for women. Sorry if I offend any one, but that is what we see.:rolleyes:

I recently purchased a Ralph Lauren Tux at Macy's on sale for $295 prior to our last cruise. At that price I figure I will have paid it off relatively quick. I am sure that my tux will fit me and do not have to worry about length, breadth or anything else. As for my wife and I we really look forward to formal nights. Living in Oklahoma where for the most part, dressing up means khakis and polos for men and slack outfit for women. Sorry if I offend any one, but that is what we see.:rolleyes:

I understand where you're coming from, but if I went and bought a tux it would never be worn again. The last time I wore a tux was my Senior prom nearly 20 years ago. Plus I am on the path to drop up to 80 pounds, so buying would not be a smart move on my part.

It's been a very long time since I've seen anyone in a dress shirt & tie turned away from the MDR on formal nights on Princess ships.

DH still wears his tux ... says it's easier for him because he always knows what he'll be wearing on formal nights. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

just subbing, this is interesting because we are going with 3 young kids (!) and in prior cruising pre-kids, we do enjoy the formal wear. Now its a totall nightmare getting us all dressed in *something* at all

The young kids do not have to be dressed in formal wear. Just neat and clean clothes will be fine for them.

Thanks for any input.

The majority (80-90%) of men on Caribbean cruises still wear clothes that fit the guidelines presented by Princess. In surveys taken here on CC less than 5% go without a coat/tie.

My advice to you, with the knowledge you are actively losing weight (hurrah, sir! :D), is to rent a tuxedo. This can be done through the onboard rental, which I've done, or by renting a tux locally and bringing it with you (sometimes cheaper). The advantage of these rentals is that they are adjustable for waist size, so even if you lose a bit between measurement and wearing they will adapt. For a 7 day cruise either option could be less expensive, so shop around. (Note: for a 12 day cruise I found it more expensive to rent a tux than to buy it from the rental store).

When thinking of what to wear, consider that Princess keeps Formal Nights to establish a romantic evening atmosphere, so the person you are pleasing most by dressing up is your spouse/partner. You can make the evening as special as you wish, and the rewards can be priceless.

On our last cruise, the two-week Hawaiian one, one man (maybe in his 60s?) sitting at a couple of tables over wore a dress shirt without jacket nor tie for all three formal nights. So our maitre'd was probably okay with that.

If you don't want to rent a tux or just find a regular jacket (many men, such as my man, will wear sports jackets (we've gone to Goodwill if we need something for one use or a play my daughter was in), you can put on a nice dress long-sleeved shirt with a tie and see that works. But let your friends know that if sent away, you'll be heading to another dining venue. One possible option, if they want to pay the cover charge, is to book a specialty restaurant with your significant others or your group as that's smart casual every night.

We sailed on Crown last February to the Caribbean, my hubby wore shirt and tie and NO jacket. No problem. Same with his brothers. Please don't lynch me, but I have never packed him a jacket on our 4 cruises, Disney, Holland and Princess. There just isn't room with all that snorkel gear ;)

We sailed on Crown last February to the Caribbean, my hubby wore shirt and tie and NO jacket. No problem. Same with his brothers. Please don't lynch me, but I have never packed him a jacket on our 4 cruises, Disney, Holland and Princess. There just isn't room with all that snorkel gear ;)

Thanks for confirming what many of us have said.

DH wears a tux (we drive) but knows he doesn't have to unless he wants to.

LuLu

~~~~

Princess cruises to the Caribbean are notoriously informal. You will see quite a number of pax in the MDR on non-formal nights in jeans as we wear them all the time down here. Formal nights are anything from pants (dockers will do) and a long sleeved button shirt to a few in tux with everything in between. I have noticed lately that more men are showing up in suits or sport coats and no tie.

So to the OP sailing out of Houston, pants (not jeans) and a long sleeved shirt will work. Ties are not required. Have a nice trip.

If you like to dress the way most people for an event, you will be in the minority if you don't have a jacket on for formal nights. I have worn a Tux the last 4 Caribbean cruises and have never felt out of place.

Renting formal wear is also very easy and saves space on packing

If people are dressing down the lines for the formal pictures are not getting any shorter.

I understand where you're coming from, but if I went and bought a tux it would never be worn again. The last time I wore a tux was my Senior prom nearly 20 years ago. Plus I am on the path to drop up to 80 pounds, so buying would not be a smart move on my part.

If you choose to dress formal then rental is your best option. I bought a beautiful Blue Plaid Dinner Jacket (size 44L) for my Sr Prom 1960 and wore it through College. Now fast forward 54 years and I probably won't be on any major diet at my age, so what the heck, why not splurge and get a Tux! (size 46L).

Here is wishing you the best on your diet and relax and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

The young kids do not have to be dressed in formal wear. Just neat and clean clothes will be fine for them.

LOL, No i know that :) but one of my kids is a barfer, and for me as a woman to do hair/makeup/etc is a full hour. then sit thru a 2 hr dinner.. so its not worth it at all, plus keeping the said "clean kids" clean :) hehe.

on previous trips, we would do it, if kids went to kids club. but seems on this ship there may be few children.

That's age discrimination :D

Brandon, a couple options (#1 would be dress shirt/tie, and i think you'll be fine.

#2 - I don't know where you live, but you can go to a Marshalls/Ross/even Kohls, buy a jacket, inexpensive, heck if u keep it clean, u can return it, also.. ;) Nordstrom Rack is a good choice too..

but we'll be with the option #1.

Thanks for your post! :)

i also want to add, we do not wear jeans.

and i might get flamed, but it seems the younger crowd (< 30-35) seems to not go as formal as older couples, which is fine, and that may be tied to little kids :o

I don't mean disrespect, and my DH wears suits/ties to work daily, so for him a vacation means more relaxing then forcing him to wear a tux to dinner.. so its nice there are options for everyone.