Driving from Orlando Int.Airport to Fort Lauderdale

nettyh

Hi. We are flying in from the Uk to Orlando on Friday and driving down to Fort Lauderdale for a 2 night stay before boarding Celebrity Silhouette Sunday.

I have looked at the route and don't know whether to use the Florida Turnpike or the I 95 to get down there. Is one road better to use than the other? (we will be travelling down on Friday night leaving the airport about 6.0pm)

Many thanks

Janette

I much prefer Florida's Turnpike over Interstate 95... Traffic is most always far lighter on the Turnpike [interstate 95 can become quite congested; especially between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale] and there are far greater distances between roadway entrances/exits that can sometimes impede traffic flow... That said, Florida's Turnpike is a toll road; I-95 is not [which is another reason that the Turnpike traffic tends to be lighter]...

I've not had occasion to use the Orlando Airport but, if I'm not mistaken, it is situated a good bit closer to the Turnpike than is Interstate 95; that puts you on the highway faster than negotiating more local roads to get to I-95...

As the previous poster noted, plan for about a four hour drive...

Travel safely; enjoy Silhouette!

Hi. We are flying in from the Uk to Orlando on Friday and driving down to Fort Lauderdale for a 2 night stay before boarding Celebrity Silhouette Sunday.

I have looked at the route and don't know whether to use the Florida Turnpike or the I 95 to get down there. Is one road better to use than the other? (we will be travelling down on Friday night leaving the airport about 6.0pm)

Many thanks

Janette

Hi Janette,

Looks we are on the same cruise. I can't help you with the drive as we are flying down to FLL.

However, come join our roll call. (Forums, Roll Call, Celebrity Connections, Celebrity Silhouette, Silhouette - jan 19 2014 - eastern caribbean. We are meeting up at the Sunset Bar after the Muster (wear mardi gras beads for ID purposes). Also - sign up for the Meet & Greet. There are also some other activities being planned (Cabin Crawl; slot pull).

Debbi

Definitely the turnpike. I've done this drive hundreds of times. I live on the east coast about 40 minutes north of Port Everglades. Take the turnpike south to the Jupiter exit. That is where the turnpike and I-95 come closest together. Get off at Jupiter and make a left after toll booth. The southbound entrance ramp to 95 is right there immediately on your right. Take 95 south all the way to Ft. Lauderdale. Really easy!! Have a great trip!

Thanks for the quick answers. Sounds like we will be using the Turnpike. Didnt realise it would take 4 hours...just what we need after after a 10 hour flight:(

Good job DH sleeps nearly all the way over from the UK ;)

Thanks for the info about the roll call Debbi.

Janette

In general I think the Turnpike would be better, at least in terms of traffic. I-95 can get busy when you get down around the Palm Beaches, of course that may not be an issue at the time you are considering the drive. When I drive down to FLL on 95 from the Melbourne area, I frequently get on the TP at Jupiter FL.

I vacation in Florida every year & would recommend you use the turnpike for this trip. It will be well worth the money spent in tolls to avoid the likely congestion on I-95.

When renting your car you should ask about renting a transponder for tolls on the turnpike. I was told they started offering this service, for a fee, & then you just get charged the tolls when you return the rental. (I've never done this but it's worth asking about, then you wouldn't have to stop at any toll boths.)

Thanks for the quick answers. Sounds like we will be using the Turnpike. Didnt realise it would take 4 hours...just what we need after after a 10 hour flight:(

Florida is a loooooong state. On my first trip there while in college, I was so happy to be almost to FLL when we crossed the line from Georgia. After all weren't there palm trees growing on the Florida side? What a rude awakening awaited us.:eek:

May I suggest that you stay in Orlando rather than Ft. Lauderdale. There is so much more to do in Orlando- better hotels and pools. The drive is about 3 hours and can be done the day of the cruise. You'll be on British time and up at dawn and would get to Ft. Lauderdale by noon if you set off at 8AM giving you plenty of wiggle room for stops and delays. The ship probably sails at 4 or 5PM.

The direct route is route 441 down the center of Florida toward Ft. Lauderdale, which ultimately intersects with 95 South. It's an easy drive and pretty goof proof- just mapquest it.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Janette

I've made the trip hundreds of times. It doesn't take 4 hours unless you stop numerous times. It should take you slightly under 3 hours.

Oh, and GatorGirl is definitely correct -- the Turnpike is the only way to make that trip.

Edited by Johnny Heedless

Janette

Janette,

We did this last August, however we stayed a few days in Orlando first before driving down. It's a long drive after a long flight - isn't there anyway you could stay in Orlando that first night? You probably won't even leave the airport until after 7pm if your flight doesn't land until 6 :eek:! Then you'll have the paperwork to sort for your car hire etc. It may be worth considering a cheap hotel in Orlando for one night and then driving down fresh the following morning - just a thought (only from our previous experience) :confused:.

I vacation in Florida every year & would recommend you use the turnpike for this trip. It will be well worth the money spent in tolls to avoid the likely congestion on I-95.

When renting your car you should ask about renting a transponder for tolls on the turnpike. I was told they started offering this service, for a fee, & then you just get charged the tolls when you return the rental. (I've never done this but it's worth asking about, then you wouldn't have to stop at any toll boths.)

There is a less expensive option than the rented transponder. The convenience stores in FL now sell a reloadable card that you stick in the window that will scan like the transponder. I load mine with the amount of tolls on a one way trip and then throw it out when I head home.

Many thanks

Janette

It is an easy drive, we did it once. GPS are really easy to use in the US, your rental car might come with one. :)

We only had to do it once, also in a rental car, only because the FLL flights were full. An easy trip on 75, although we did it in the afternoon, avoiding any possible rush hour traffic. Have a safe journey

Why on earth would you take 75 from Orlando? That makes no sense.

To the OP, it should take you just under three hours. However, if you are flying a redeye, I would rethink driving directly to Fort Lauderdale. Staying in Orlando one night might be a good idea, there are plenty of really nice, swank hotels.

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks again everyone for the helpful answers.

Unfortunately, I've already paid for 2 nights at a hotel on the beach in Fort Lauderdale so staying in Orlando isn't an option.

We land about 4.30pm and have checked in online for the car hire and can go straight to the parking lot to collect it so hopefully that should save time.

Steve sleeps for at least 7 hours of the flight so driving shouldn't be a problem for him.

Good tip about hiring a sat nav and signing up for the sunpass to save time.

Thanks again for the tips.

Janette:)

Definitely the turnpike. I've done this drive hundreds of times. I live on the east coast about 40 minutes north of Port Everglades. Take the turnpike south to the Jupiter exit. That is where the turnpike and I-95 come closest together. Get off at Jupiter and make a left after toll booth. The southbound entrance ramp to 95 is right there immediately on your right. Take 95 south all the way to Ft. Lauderdale. Really easy!! Have a great trip!

Excellent directions. :)

Exactly what we do if we are driving down from Orlando.

Normally takes about 3 hours ... 4 hours max.

The Turnpike is a way better option than I-95 from Orlando to FLL.

Just remember to get off at the Jupiter exit and take I-95 the rest of the way.

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks again everyone for the helpful answers.

Unfortunately, I've already paid for 2 nights at a hotel on the beach in Fort Lauderdale so staying in Orlando isn't an option.

We land about 4.30pm and have checked in online for the car hire and can go straight to the parking lot to collect it so hopefully that should save time.

Steve sleeps for at least 7 hours of the flight so driving shouldn't be a problem for him.

Good tip about hiring a sat nav and signing up for the sunpass to save time.

Thanks again for the tips.

Janette:)

Believe it or not Orlando does have rush hour traffic and the roads will be a bit slow going from 5-7PM. Also, I find it much easier navigating during the day and it will be dark by the time you hit the road. If there is anyway to spend the night in Orlando- I would do it even if it means ponying up for one night at the Airport Hyatt.

Traffic in Orlando is always awful. :(

LuLu

~~~~

Couldn't have said it better myself! As everyone else has said, the Turnpike is the ONLY way to go, and the entrance to the turnpike is a short 10-15 minute drive from Orlando Airport (MCO, not SFB, which is really in Sanford). That area is not usually too congested for the Orlando area, but depending on the number of accidents on other routes it can become quite busy. Enjoy your LONG flight, and hope you have a pleasant drive. :)