Extra Charge for Ice Cream?

rileylewis

Newby here sailing with the Nieuw Amsterdam in February. My hubby and I love ice cream and have heard that some cruise lines charge extra for "specialty ice cream".

Do the Holland America lines do this too? How do you know if it is something that you have to pay for?

Thanks!

There is an ice cream station in Lido and there is no charge. There are toppings provided and you can put jimmies or nuts or other toppings on your ice cream. You can have it in a waffle or small cone, if you rather.

There is an ice cream station in Lido and there is no charge. There are toppings provided and you can put jimmies or nuts or other toppings on your ice cream. You can have it in a waffle or small cone, if you rather.

I had no idea what jimmies are so I googled. It's either an extremely good looking person or sprinkles. I'm guessing sprinkles. I guess I'll have to call myself Jimmie from now on:D;):D.

Just so you know it's really run of the mill ice cream. While I'm no fan of celebrity they had a specialty ice cream place and it was to die for. There was an extra charge.

It would be nice if they offered both free and fee ice cream. There are afternoons I would pay extra for B&J's Cherry Garcia. (Like 7 afternoons a week. ;))

Sounds good! ;)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

It would be nice if they offered both free and fee ice cream. There are afternoons I would pay extra for B&J's Cherry Garcia. (Like 7 afternoons a week. ;))

I think there would be a market for it. I'm telling you the ice cream in this specialty area on celebrity was amazing! Best ice cream I ever had. It probably had a butt load of cream in it.

I had no idea what jimmies are so I googled. It's either an extremely good looking person or sprinkles. I'm guessing sprinkles. I guess I'll have to call myself Jimmie from now on:D;):D.

It's a "Boston thing".

Another oddity in our vernacular is calling soda "tonic". :D

When I hear someone refer to carbonated soft drinks as Pop, I think of Dad. :)

Edited by sail7seas

It's a "Boston thing".

If they say pop they are most likely Canadian!! I always have to remind myself to say soda when I am in the USA.

Edited by superoma

If they say pop they are most likely Canadian!! I always have to remind myself to say soda when I am in the USA.

We say pop in southern Ohio. I think a few other places in the midwest, too.

It's a "Boston thing".

I guess I'm a hybrid, thanks to my parentage! Mom was from Boston, so sprinkles were definitely jimmies. But growing up in the Cincinnati area, carbonated soft drinks are "pop"! (Dad was from Missouri, so he had to be shown everything.)

It's a "Boston thing".

I'm originally from Michigan and grew up with Pop. Here in the South it's Soda - but I'm told in some areas in the South it is (or was) called coke - no matter what the brand or flavor.

In Illinois we called carbonated beverages "soda" in Iowa we called it "pop" and in Nebraska we call it "soft drink". Can't remember what it was called in California as I never drank it.

My husband loves the ice cream station on HAL. It was the hit of his very first cruise and something he really looks forward to every day. No, it's not Ben & Jerry's but it is fine. They have plenty of toppings. I love the selection of liquors they have. At home when I eat ice cream, I use a liquor as a topping.

Diane

Definitely check out the soft serve, the pineapple and raspberry are my favourites.

And, the cookies are usually next to the ice cream stations. The chocolate chip and sugar cookies are excellent, but on my last cruise I fell for the meringue cookies.

When I'm in the USA I always remember to ask for (hot) tea :) in case it is assumed that I have ordered (iced) tea, :( (which I hate; too much sugar)! :eek:

In Illinois we called carbonated beverages "soda" in Iowa we called it "pop" and in Nebraska we call it "soft drink". Can't remember what it was called in California as I never drank it.

Diane

In Australia we have soft drink and sprinkles. On our last cruise we had room service and asked for burger and chips. We were amazed when it arrived with crisps on the plate.....we wanted hot chips! Lesson learnt-fries from now on!