Rccl so so much more expensive in Europe than NCL why? Considering trying NCL.

This summer ( like last summer ) there are only a couple of RCCL ships in the Mediterranean and prices are sky high, does anyone know why?

NCL are much much more inexpensive but I have never tried them but with three of us travelling and me paying I think that a saving if eight hundred pounds is making me really consider NCL .

I would appreciate your comments.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Years ago I ran into the same thing so we ended up doing Carnival for both Mediterranean and Baltic and then did NCL for Hawaii. Even though I didn't love the decor or layouts of the ships, it was truly a better value. We barely spent any time on the ships and go to see the ports for a fraction of the cost of RCCL. They were not wild, party ships and the food was great. I love RCCL for the Caribbean and will pay the extra $ because I spend more time on the ship, but in Europe you may be able to save a ton of money trying other cruise lines.

I think that part of the cost for Royal is that they are mostly using Vision Class ships in Europe, especially Venice. Those ships have a very limited number of balcony and suite cabins. With those cabins in short supply the prices go way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

Edited by SamFritz

We've only sailed with NCL so far (Mediterranean, Alaska, Caribbean) because of cost and have been very happy with their ships. (though have nothing to compare it to!) We just look at it as a place to sleep, eat and have transportation, and save enough money so we can do two, sometimes three cruises for the price of one!!

Enjoy your cruise no matter what you do!

I really don't have any brand loyalty, and have cruised most mainstream lines (never sailed MSC if that's considered mainstream). I've done 4-5 NCL cruises and about same number of RCL. I've had great experiences on both lines.

All things being equal (which is never the case), it would be a tough call. If NCL was less money they would certainly get the nod. However, if I were sailing with kids, an Explorer class or newer RCL ship would receive extra consideration.

we love NCL as well as RCCL - give it a go for value for money

We just did a back to back, first week RCL majesty and 2nd week NCL sun and enjoyed the 2nd so much more - the staff of NCL were just so polite and happy that more people said hello and welcome in 20 mins of bein gon NCL than had done the entire RCCL cruise

This summer ( like last summer ) there are only a couple of RCCL ships in the Mediterranean and prices are sky high, does anyone know why?

NCL are much much more inexpensive but I have never tried them but with three of us travelling and me paying I think that a saving if eight hundred pounds is making me really consider NCL .

A saving of £800 is not to be sneezed at I have sailed on NCL and would recommend them just as I would RCCL

We have sailed both in the Med, RCCL(2) and NCL(1 Epic). To my mind, they are similar in many ways. Food and entertainment were superior on Epic but food is very subjective. I would not pay an extra £800 to sail on either if the itinerary suited. Go for it! Best of luck. Ken

We have been on NCL many times and always enjoyed it. Did a 14 day Med cruise on NCL Jade and had a great time. We did have a Penthouse suite (just a big balcony cabin) which really had some great perks, especially eating breakfast and lunch in a private restaurant. Price was about half of what other ships were charging for similar accomodatioins. MDR was not as good on some nights as Celebrity but I think it has improved. However, NCL has many alternative restaurants (they pioneered the idea) at very reasonable prices. We especiallly like Le Bistro. Which NCL ships are you considering?

I have cruised many times in Europe. Also12 TA's

Go for the cheapest fare.

In the Med. there is a port everyday and you be tired at night to enjoy the shows.

Also on NCL you don't have to bring dress clothing save the hassle of weight.

Right now there is not much different in the cruise lines.

All have good food great crew.

Have done NCL in the Med several times-3 times on The Jade. Did the Baltic and a TA last summer with RCCL. Feel the experience was very similar and wouldn't hesitate to take either line if itinerary and price line up with what we were looking for. I personally love the way NCL sets up water and cool wash clothes for passengers coming back to the ship after a day in port -nice touch. Have a great cruise.

Our past 2 cruises were European itineraries. One Mediteranean and one Greek Isles out of Venice. Next time I would consider NCL because it is indeed cheaper(with the same itinerary) and we did not like the ship this past time. We were on Slplendour of the Seas and just were not impressed. However we loved the Liberty of the Seas last summer leaving out of Barcelona. I know people have different preferences of ships but you won't be on the ship that much so I'd go for saving money :)

I just booked a 12 day cruise from Venice to Barcelona on NCL for May 2015 for a little over $1000. Both RCCL and Princess rates were over $2000. I have sailed many times on NCL and I enjoy that you never have to dress up for dinner, so no formal wear to have to pack on an overseas flight. I think the food is better on Princess, but not worth the extra $1000 per person!