Cash, USD, XPF???

SweetPease

...Better than carrying a wad of US cash when flying, in hotels pre cruise etc.

Inexpensive muslin money belts, available at Walmart for under $20, are your friends for cash. I've carried thousands of Euros with no problems.

0088047919781_P255062_180X180.jpg

Always use a debit card for cash advances -- no interest. I use a separate checking account for travel, into which I deposit more than I expect to spend. Further, use a bank which refunds any ATM fees -- I use Schwab Bank, which refunds all ATM fees, even those charged internationally. There are no international transaction fees; although you will be paying a currency conversion premium, charged by the ATM, not by Schwab.

Use a credit card with no International Transaction Fees for purchases. Again, there will be a cost for currency conversion, but there is no way to avoid that. The transaction fees on most are bogus fees charged by credit card companies just because they can, and will be charged any time the transaction goes through a foreign bank, even if it is in US Dollars.

It's always a good idea to order some local currency from your bank, if possible. As stated previously, the ATM machines may be empty or not like your card. I've been stuck using a currency exchange counter with exorbitant rates because I didn't order any currency ahead of time.

When you use an ATM, only get as much money as you need immediately. Get too much, and you may be carrying it home. If you need more, there will almost always be more ATMs. What few coins I do bring home, I let the grandchildren play with them.

Restrict yourself to the cards you will be most likely to use. There's no point in carrying the "Give Me More Stripes" card from TGIFridays in Europe.

Consider carrying two wallets or card holders in different pockets, and spread out your cards and small bills. It's doubtful a pickpocket will get both.

Always remember to call your credit card and debit card providers with you travel plans -- that may be the leading reason why cards are declined at the ATMs. Don't ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

Edited by hondorner

Always use a debit card for cash advances -- no interest. I use a separate checking account for travel, into which I deposit more than I expect to spend. Further, use a bank which refunds any ATM fees -- I use Schwab Bank, which refunds all ATM fees, even those charged internationally. There are no international transaction fees; although you will be paying a currency conversion premium, charged by the ATM, not by Schwab.

It's always a good idea to order some local currency from your bank, if possible. As stated previously, the ATM machines may be empty or not like your card. I've been stuck using a currency exchange counter with exorbitant rates because I didn't order any currency ahead of time.

Lots of good ideas Don and I have deleted the good ones as I have some comments on the above two that are left.

I along with many others choose NOT to have any debit cards due to their lack of security, responsibility and the fact that they debit our accounts almost immediately even when the account has been compromised. Think the problems that debit card owners are having because of the Target issues vs. credit cards. I along with many get a simple ATM card that doesn't have debit care capabilities and use those in ATM's world wide and speaking for myself, I have used ATM's in many countries world wide and never had a charge outside the US. Actually have two ATM cards for me and two for my DW in case a machine accidentally eats a card. Have to have 2 different checking accounts and simply move money thru the internet as necessary. Never have seen a currency transaction charge either, always get the million dollar exchange rate. I do check.

As far as getting foreign currency ahead of time, have checked thru my credit union and many of the huge US banks and their charges are exorbitant to say the least and in this day and age, relatively simple to find a working ATM with cash. Only one exception I have found is Japan where the only ATM's that accept US ATM cards are at Post Offices and only a specific one as we found out trying all of the ones in the Post Office.

Good suggestions Don and tried to add to your suggestions.

For me a good pair of travel pants by Travel Smith or Magellan's etc is well worth the $60-75 bucks. With zippered pockets with a button in the back and 1 or 2 zippered pockets in front, I really don't worry about an unintended loss. Money and passports have a safe home. Have worn these to and from the ship for 20 years and am a believer.

Here in Hawaii, only large banks will cash them... Places that do may charge you a service charge to cash them too.

. forget using travelers checks in total

I agree. We had trouble getting rid of our last travellers cheques in NZ in 2013. The bank teller had to ask an older colleague how to do it. Service charge was high.

We used to be able to deposit our leftover traveler's checks at our local HSBC branch (where we have an account). HSBC has just announced that they will no longer accept traveler's checks for deposit from ordinary consumers. I gathered from the notice that businesses will be able to do so ... just not ordinary folk.

Now that I think of it I don't think the notice addressed the issue of cashing traveler's checks ... but if they do continue doing so, my bet is it won't be for long.

Mura

An approach I am using is to use my frequent flier credit card to buy myself a significant on board credit as a bon voyage gift to myself. Oceania has confirmed via email and the cash will be waiting for me when I board. Only limitation may be that I can only "withdraw" no more than $500/day. Not really an issue for me.

Kiawahdon,

Can you e-mail me a copy of the e-mail you have from Oceania related to buying and cashing OBCs? We leave in about 6 weeks for a week in China prior to boarding Nautica's cruise from Tianjin (Beijing) to Bangkok. I've arranged a couple of private tours in Vietnam where the guides want payment in USD. I have talked to Oceania twice about buying OBCs now and cashing them during the cruise. The first Oceania agent I talked to (several weeks ago) said that was OK. When I called back last week to actually buy OBCs, the agent said he could process my buy order, but that I couldn't withdraw funds during the cruise (i.e., that OBCs were for on-board purchases only). My e-mail address in dmwhite_nc at yahoo dot com.

If anyone reading this thread has experience with this approach, feel free to jump in.

Thanks,

NC Garden Traveler

With an "On Board Credit" what you do not spend.....they keep. You do not get it back.

Where do you get all this misinformation?:rolleyes:

Kiawahdon,

Can you e-mail me a copy of the e-mail you have from Oceania related to buying and cashing OBCs? We leave in about 6 weeks for a week in China prior to boarding Nautica's cruise from Tianjin (Beijing) to Bangkok. I've arranged a couple of private tours in Vietnam where the guides want payment in USD. I have talked to Oceania twice about buying OBCs now and cashing them during the cruise. The first Oceania agent I talked to (several weeks ago) said that was OK. When I called back last week to actually buy OBCs, the agent said he could process my buy order, but that I couldn't withdraw funds during the cruise (i.e., that OBCs were for on-board purchases only). My e-mail address in dmwhite_nc at yahoo dot com.

If anyone reading this thread has experience with this approach, feel free to jump in.

Thanks,

NC Garden Traveler

On our last Oceania cruise we purchased a sizable on board credit and didn't use it all. I guess we didn't drink as much as I thought we would. They insisted on paying it in cash around the last couple of days of the cruise. Perhaps what they are trying to do is keep from being a cash disburser throughout the cruise, but if you have a balance they will definitely return it.

I have been working the "cards" for years and constantly learn more each year. Dave I like how you think amigo !!!

Dan, i did not know how to ask this privately but wth.. I see you listed the USS Midway.. we toured it in October !!! (and this girl got her 'wings' LOL) What a fantastic tour that was!!!!!!

just wanted to say hi !

Bev:)

Kiawahdon - how did you purchase the OBC? Did you do it via the Oceania website or through a phone call? I really like your idea. It saves having the issue of a lot of extra cash on hand and /or trying to deal with travelers checks. If we can put money on the account in advance and then draw cash as needed, that would be perfect. We would never need more than $500 per day, in fact half that would be more than enough.

Dan, i did not know how to ask this privately but wth.. I see you listed the USS Midway.. we toured it in October !!! (and this girl got her 'wings' LOL) What a fantastic tour that was!!!!!!

just wanted to say hi !

Bev:)

Glad you liked her.... Cool that you liked the ole'magic as I knew he But thas a long time ago... well not that long. I had a pretty good "tour " too in the western Pacific...with old Uncle Sugars brown shoe Navy& Flying circus . One for the cruises I have taken where I got paid and they fed me. No pools or entertainment. but....we had "activities'" 24/7 !!!

By getting your wings did you mean you got your "ticket to drive"

By the way that ship is 1/2 the size as these RCCL, monsters f

Kiawahdon - how did you purchase the OBC? Did you do it via the Oceania website or through a phone call? I really like your idea. It saves having the issue of a lot of extra cash on hand and /or trying to deal with travelers checks. If we can put money on the account in advance and then draw cash as needed, that would be perfect. We would never need more than $500 per day, in fact half that would be more than enough.

Used the web site-at the bottom of the home page is a button for Bon Voyage gifts this takes you to where you can "order" your Gift of OBC for yourself. O will send you an email confirmation.

Glad you liked her.... Cool that you liked the ole'magic as I knew he But thas a long time ago... well not that long. I had a pretty good "tour " too in the western Pacific...with old Uncle Sugars brown shoe Navy& Flying circus . One for the cruises I have taken where I got paid and they fed me. No pools or entertainment. but....we had "activities'" 24/7 !!!

By getting your wings did you mean you got your "ticket to drive"

By the way that ship is 1/2 the size as these RCCL, monsters f

'ticket to drive' I wish!!! No.. the volunteers...( I suspect you know... they are there to explain the planes they flew).. rather liked my 'enthusiasm' while I sat in the cock pit.. I actually knew some of the equipment (plane fetish here lol).. so he gave me the little wing pin they give the little kids LOL !!!! 49 going on 12 here!!!

I saw that, the difference in size then and now.. still really cool!!!!

Well Hawaii Dan.. if you are in Honolulu.. we are there on the way to the Tahiti cruise and on the way back!! Love to buy you a drink!!!!

Cheers!!

Bev

'ticket to drive' I wish!!! No.. the volunteers...( I suspect you know... they are there to explain the planes they flew).. rather liked my 'enthusiasm' while I sat in the cock pit.. I actually knew some of the equipment (plane fetish here lol).. so he gave me the little wing pin they give the little kids LOL !!!! 49 going on 12 here!!!

I saw that, the difference in size then and now.. still really cool!!!!

Well Hawaii Dan.. if you are in Honolulu.. we are there on the way to the Tahiti cruise and on the way back!! Love to buy you a drink!!!!

Cheers!!

Bev

I live on another island 160 miles away... but thanks

[quote name='kiawahdon']Used the web site-at the bottom of the home page is a button for Bon Voyage gifts this takes you to where you can "order" your Gift of OBC for yourself. O will send you an email confirmation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information.