11:00 a.m. Flight out of LAX

momof3cruisers

Also, for anyone that will be in So. Cal. over President's Weekend Feb. 15-17th, be prepared for extra heavy traffic. The 405 will be closed in both directions on that weekend at varying times. They're calling this closure Jamzilla since Carmaggedon has been used with the last 2 closures. By the time all the construction ends on the 405, we'll be flying space craft instead of driving cars. :D

Also, for anyone that will be in So. Cal. over President's Weekend Feb. 15-17th, be prepared for extra heavy traffic. The 405 will be closed in both directions on that weekend at varying times. They're calling this closure Jamzilla since Carmaggedon has been used with the last 2 closures. By the time all the construction ends on the 405, we'll be flying space craft instead of driving cars. :D

Ain't this the truth! I hadn't heard that so thanks for the heads up. I take the 405 to get to Disneyland because it is, amazingly, faster then I-5.

Those who live near LA (myself included) are unanimous: "Don't do it." Those who don't live anywhere near LA say, "Go for it!" Hmmm....

Princess recommends flights no earlier than five hours after scheduled arrival for a reason. With a 7am arrival, that's Noon. It's not unusual for it to take half an hour or more just to get from the entrance to LAX to your terminal. LAX recommends arriving for check-in two hours before a domestic flight, three hours before an international flight because besides traffic getting to the airport, it can take quite a while to get through check-in and Security.

I would chance it only if you have the option of getting seats on the later flight with no penalty. You could make it and wind up having extra time but is that stress and the possibility that you'll miss your flight worth hanging around the airport for another three hours? It isn't to me but this is a question you should ask your self.

Not unanimous - I live in LA and I think that it's a reasonable risk.

Of OP is able to carry her luggage off, she can be first off the ship if she chooses - we have learned to go to the purser's desk early in the cruise to get Walkoff 1 tags. If OP can travel with carryon only, she can arrive at LAX 90 minutes or less in advance and be fine.

If OP applies for and gets Global Entry and is flying on a participating airline, she can be through security in 5 minutes on a crazy busy day.

If my choice were 11:00 vs 3:00, I'd take my chances on the early flight, but I can qualify on all of the "ifs."

Nice try but no banana.

We will always take the earlier flight and will never be bullied into anything else. :p

And if you miss it, call me and hang out with us until you can get home.:D

If OP applies for and gets Global Entry and is flying on a participating airline, she can be through security in 5 minutes on a crazy busy day.

Not all terminals have the TSA pre-check.

When's the cruise? DD had to fill out a lengthy application and wait several months for her interview. IIRC it costs $100.

Trusted Traveler will not help if there is a delay at port CBP.

Edited by SadieN

Global Entry is for passengers arriving into the US on international flights. It's not available in ports so it's moot in this case.

TSA Pre is what you would want to a apply for as that pre-screens you through Security. There is no guarantee that you'll be able to breeze through but you'll be faster than Priority and the general lines. I was flying from MIA last October and there was ONE TSA line for everyone. They took one from the general line, one from First Class/Priority and one from TSA Pre; then, one from general, one from First Class/Priority, and one from TSA Pre. It took the TSA Pre people about 20 minutes to go through because it was a shorter line. I was flying First Class and had Priority and it took me almost an hour and a half. What happened in MIA could happen anywhere.

FYI, I'm sympathetic to those wanting an earlier flight to the East Coast. I lived in the Boston area and flew from LA to BOS quite a few times. I booked flights after Noon. Sometimes, I had plenty of time, sometimes I got through Security in time to go to the gate a few minutes before boarding started.

If I were the OP, I would look at flights out of Long Beach. Orange County (SNA) and Ontario are quite a bit further and chances are flights will be fewer and more expensive.

With Princess air or did you book on your own?

If yuo booked it on your own, you may want to consider looking into trip interruption coverage that could protect a late arrival in MIA.

The cruise is on Royal C and i have no idea...just being brought as a guest on that one. No say in arrangements. I just don't want them to be disappointed.

As for why I'd like to get home sooner, I will have been gone from my family for a week by that time, I lose two hours flying east anyway and I have MS and travel can get pretty painful and exhausting. However, better safe than sorry in my book.

I totally understand the OP's desire to get home as soon as possible. We are willing to take a little risk and get on our way. We have had good luck doing early flights, if our lucky streak breaks we will not panic.

Once we disembarked in San Pedro and used Prime Time shuttle to get us to SNA for a 12:30 flight as it wAs easier to get a frequently flyer freebie to and from there.

For LAX we have taken cabs and made early flights out of LAX. Last trip we made the 10:55 on Southwest to Chicago.