Nautical Question here:

goingsailing

Ok cruisers I have a question that needs an answer because I was doubted when I stated this fact that I picked up on one of my cruises. The question is: Is the engine on a ship called a generator? If you all could give me an answer I can pass it along to my doubter. Thank you :)

Ok cruisers I have a question that needs an answer because I was doubted when I stated this fact that I picked up on one of my cruises. The question is: Is the engine on a ship called a generator? If you all could give me an answer I can pass it along to my doubter. Thank you :)

Engines for propulsion, engines running generators for electricity.

They can also use turbines for propulsion.

Edited by miccheck

Just like in a car, the engine and the generator are different things. Here's a wikipedia article that briefly explains some of the inter-workings between engine and generator, but if you don't want to read the whole thing:

"Large engines drive electrical generators that provide power for the ship's electrical systems."

No, engines are not called generators. Engines run on fuel to create horsepower such as with your car engine. Generators create electricity. Ships will have both on board, but the engines don't necessarily directly propel the ship.

Most cruise ships today use diesel engines that drive generators to create electricity that powers the ship from propulsion systems to all electrical requirements used on board. Many ships have azipod drive units that are self contained electric motors in housings that are supported under the ship on 360 degree swivel bases. These drive the ship and turn directionally as needed, eliminating the need for rudders.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Most modern cruise ships use an engine to run a generator which in turn will supply electricity to the ship's propulsion motors and the rest of the ship's electrical needs. Most of the time the engine is a diesel engine which drives the generator, this propulsion system is commonly referred to as "diesel electric." There are some ships that use gas turbines (very similar to those on jet planes) to run the generators and then sometimes it can be a combination of diesels and turbines. There may even be an old steam driven ship still lurking around, but that would be a rarity.

Edited by BillB48

The engines turn a generator which generates electricity to power the motors which propel the ship.

A good, brief explanation of how ships work - very indirect drive, but it gives much finer control for ship handling than having the screws turned by a shaft linked to steam turbines (SS Norway). Probably the most indirect is nuclear: the reactor generates steam which spins the turbines which power the generators which power the motors.

Most ships use some form of engine run off of fossil fuel. These in turn power generators. Most but not all ships use electric motors to power the ship. Any one with azapods certainly does. The generators power these motors and the rest of the ship.

A cruise ship's engines each drive a (massive) generator. The ship "runs" on electricity, which powers the drive motors, vacuum system (for toilets), lights/kitchen/"hotel"/etc. I suspect they start/stop some of the engines based on electrical demand.

Tidbit: In Alaska, cruise ships that visit some glacier areas switch over to a gas turbine engine instead of low-speed large diesel engines for lower emissions. I think the Sapphire Princess (last ship I was on) had two 8-cylinder and two 9-cylinder diesels totaling about 40MW and one gas turbine able to produce 25MW. I suspect their top speed was limited when running on just the gas turbine; they might also add in the gas turbine when maximum speed is necessary to maintain their schedule.

Everyone knows ships don't use generators. They just have very long extension cords plugged into the home port. :p

I'm sure our politicians in California have looked into it.

At least in Long Beach they plug into port.