O'Sheehan's & Moderno Changes!

Cruiser Bruiser

The usage of Star Bar depends highly on the cruise - it's our favourite watering hole because it's much more relaxed and quiet compared to the Bar City. The occupancy rate in Star Bar seems to be hit or miss, on some cruises for example just the FoD meetings get the bar over half full and hence quite busy for only one waitress/bartender.

Unfortunately since there will be a "new" hangout bar downstairs after the remodel, I do fear that Star Bar is probably the one to go. :(

I agree with what you're describing. Might I suggest Bar City/Gatsby's/Champagne Charlie's as a quiet enough space? On my last cruise in particular, no one was hanging out there at all. The more I think about this, the usage of the ships is really going to improve a lot. I'm glad Norwegian continues to focus on the guest experience and is open to making these kinds of tweaks. :)

Since they started putting an entertainer in the atrium on the jewel class it seems to get packed.

By extending the O'Sheehans concept to take over deck 8 they capture the success it has on the Epic and breakaway and probably the getaway.

Might also be an opportunity to revamp/relocate the stairs to get a big screen on all the ships.

Getting Moderno and Cagnies together also brings some consistency to the ships and it might be they can get the galley to be open as it should be.

I agree with what you're describing. Might I suggest Bar City/Gatsby's/Champagne Charlie's as a quiet enough space? On my last cruise in particular, no one was hanging out there at all. The more I think about this, the usage of the ships is really going to improve a lot. I'm glad Norwegian continues to focus on the guest experience and is open to making these kinds of tweaks. :)

In his talk on the Getaway Kevin hinted strongly that O'Sheehan's is one of their better revenue generators hence the changes fleet wide.

I haven't been on Spirit but by the deck plans it seems that Blue Lagoon and Henry's Pub are right next to each other so I'd assume that they'd change those venues into "one" O'Sheehan's bar and restaurant.

However the change might be done during normal operations too, that's how Moderno came to at least some older ships (for example on Star in April 2012 they closed the old restaurant week or two earlier and Moderno wasn't completed yet but opened only during our reposition cruise).

The Blue Lagoon and Henry's Pub are on different sides of the ship. The Shanghai Bar is next to the Blue Lagoon, however. Henry's Pub is delightful. It is foreword on deck 7.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they just use the Cagney's overflow portion of the Star Bar for Moderno, too, as I love the Star Bar. It is where we usually go for sail-away. That started when we managed to have private sail-away parties there, and continued with the 2-4-1 martinis in the evenings. Though 2-4-1 are gone, we found the two for $15.00 a deal worth visiting the bar.

Having O'Sheehan's on deck 8 completely surrounding the atrium is a good idea, in my opinion. Adding a little "life" to that area would be nice. I had an aft penthouse on deck 8 on my last cruise, and walked through Moderno often. Many times it was not very full. We ate there once, and decided that's enough, we won't eat there again (ate there on the Star, too.)

I have been looking at the deck plans for the Breakaway and The Getaway, and think I would love the more open layout of the atrium. Sort of a where-it's-happening place.

on the gem, does this replace the blue lagoon (sp) restaurant or will it be a new place to eat?

Yes, Blue Lagoon has not proven popular and it will be completely redecorated as O'Sheehans which is one of the most popular restaurants on Breakaway and Getaway. Food great, 24 hours a day and a relaxed atmosphere. Awesome milkshakes for $3 too.

One the port side will be the restaurant part of O'Sheehans and on the starboard side most likely the bar part, along with pool table, darts, air hockey and maybe even a bowling alley.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by limeyalchemist

Yes, Blue Lagoon has not proven popular and it will be completely redecorated as O'Sheehans which is one of the most popular restaurants on Breakaway and Getaway. Food great, 24 hours a day and a relaxed atmosphere. Awesome milkshakes for $3 too.

One the port side will be the restaurant part of O'Sheehans and on the starboard side most likely the bar part, along with pool table, darts, air hockey and maybe even a bowling alley.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is already a bowling ally on the gem. I don't see how it can be said that blue lagoon has been proven to be unpopular? There are always people there...I don't think it has anything to do with popularity but with the atmosphere that they are attempting to create by switching to the pub and moving moderno.

I would say that this is a great decision on Ncls part. The bar in between rarely ever was usued that I've seen. This will help to boost the alcohol purchases too.

I know that NCL really pushes Moderno and that people like it but we had one of the worst dining experiences of our lives there while on the Sun. The meat was very poor quality, t he "gauchos" were clueless, meat was very very slow in coming out, and it took 2 hours 15 minutes to get through. Salad bar and dessert were delicious, sides were awful, meat a disaster. We were comped as were many the night we were there. My husband has been to several Chiascurro restaurants and said that Moderno doesn't resemble that concept in the least. Sounds to me like they are giving it an out of the way venue now.

We also had a bad experience on the Sun but though our group of 12 complained what we got was a sorry. We saw what this writer saw plus they failed to even bother and complete the meat service and went into slivers of pineapple. We asked why given half our table still had green cards up and were still wanting the last two meat options. They brought out one of god two meats and went back to clearing the table and serving pineapple. The serving of pineapple was also done poorly and ran out about half way through serving our group and when they returned started serving other tables in the dining room and we complained and they went to the kitchen and rolled the pineapple I'd sound wet sugar and cinnamon and passed it off to our table. We cruise ncl often but madero is off my list of dining options.

If O'Sheehan's replaces the Blue Lagoon, I will miss my 'night cap' after late show, of a cup of decaf, and the delicious raspberry cheesecake...had it on the Gem in October, but missed it on the Breakaway last week....

As for eliminating the Star Bar....on the Dawn and Star, the Star Bar is the only remaining indoor public venue with a forward (though partially obstructed) view, since they replaced the original Spinnaker with additional cabins.....

Edited by bob brown

As already said, Blue Lagoon is not unpopular by any means, they just change the almost 10 years old 24/7 concept to something newer that has proven to be more up-to-date and utilize the whole atrium area better - the next generation of Blue Lagoon.

Also, I'd say that there is no way they'd be building bowling alleys there - there is just not enough room on any Dawn class or Jewel class ships without sacrificing a lot of room from the bar. While bowling is a fun pastime, I highly doubt that it'd ever return the investment compared to the lost space from the bar - also, as already said, two out of six ships in question already have bowling - if it was a good move from business point of view, they'd surely have retrofitted older ships with lanes earlier than now.