Labadee, Falmouth

beshears

Labadee, and Falmouth are on the itinerary we are thinking of taking this spring. The other ports that are on this itinerary, we have been to.

If you have been to Labadee, or Falmouth, would you tell me (yes, I know this is your opinion) what there is to see/do there?

Labadee is Royals private island. This will be a beach day. There are a few things you can do like zip lining, roller coaster, jet skiing etc... but for the most part plan to spend your day relaxing and soaking in the sun!

This is just my opinion... but stay on the ship in Falmouth. For me personally anything that interests me is a long drive away. I don't go on vacation to sit in a car! My preference is to stay on the ship and enjoy everything that it has to offer.

Labadee is Royals private island. This will be a beach day. There are a few things you can do like zip lining, roller coaster, jet skiing etc... but for the most part plan to spend your day relaxing and soaking in the sun!

This is just my opinion... but stay on the ship in Falmouth. For me personally anything that interests me is a long drive away. I don't go on vacation to sit in a car! My preference is to stay on the ship and enjoy everything that it has to offer.

Falmouth does have a very nice shopping area just off the ship. Also the Martha Brae River Rafting excursion is fairly close. We have also purchased day passes from a local resort to enjoy a nice relaxing day.

Labadee, and Falmouth are on the itinerary we are thinking of taking this spring. The other ports that are on this itinerary, we have been to.

If you have been to Labadee, or Falmouth, would you tell me (yes, I know this is your opinion) what there is to see/do there?

Not trying to disappoint but Labadee is terrible... rocky beaches, brownish-green water and is not really a "port" but a private part of haiti owned by Royal Carribbean, so everything is geared towards the cruise lines interests.

When we went to Labadee there was a coastal cruise excursion that was offered. Since we're not "go to the beach people" we took it and totally enjoyed the nature and historical narration and views of the Haiti coastline. If we go there again - we'd do the cruise again because it was so nice.:)

BTW ... Not being beach goers, Labadee is our favorite "private island" even though Labadee is on a pensinsula not an island. The tram was fun and made getting around easy. The shopping was fun too - lots of booths with all sorts of "stuff" to browse.;)

Not trying to disappoint but Labadee is terrible... rocky beaches, brownish-green water and is not really a "port" but a private part of haiti owned by Royal Carribbean, so everything is geared towards the cruise lines interests.

Actually, you are trying to disappoint. Your opinion is not everyone's. Nellie's beach and Columbus cove are sandy beaches. It's not "terrible". It's a nice beach day. THe water is only brownish because of all the people in it. If you get off the ship early, the water is nice and clear. We're always ashore within 1/2 hour of docking and have enjoyed some beautiful clear water along with our pick of where to sit.

Really????? I was just there in October and this is so not true! Also noone said it was a port!

We too enjoy Labadee.....just a swim, lie in a hammock, enjoy the sun, eat the BBQ....I know just hot dogs, hamburgers and such (unless you get a cabana) but still a fun picnic atmosphere. Need your sunscreen a towel and your flip flops! Used to have to tender off now a pier.

You can walk around the island and go hear the Dragon's Breath!!!

http://www.travelingnuts.com/D4/lmap.jpg

Use that link to see a map.

Lou

I also loved Labadee. I chose the Western itinerary for this summer in part so we could return there. So relaxing. We had a Hillside cabana on Nellie's beach, and for this summer I booked an over-the-water cabana in Nellie's. There are many fun activities to do such as the amazing zip line and the coaster, wave runners etc. Or you can just relax. Bonus for not having to pay for anything while there - food is included and drinks are included if you have the drink package.

I have to agree with the people who liked Labadee. I'm so glad we went to Columbus Cove beach - it was one of the nicest beaches I've ever cruised too! :) Great for swimming, has lots of shade too. The Aqua Park is right there if you have kids.

In Falmouth we just did some shopping and walking around in the port area, it was very nice.

Labadee was nice, I'd happily go back. I prefer Coco Cay, because the water is deeper, clearer, and less full of coral that hates my skin, but I enjoyed myself there all the same.

Falmouth, honestly, I'd be happy to never set eyes on again. The port shopping area is nice and shiny and new, and it's exactly the same shops and souvenirs you find at any other port in the Caribbean. It's far from just about everything you'd want to do in Jamaica, and forget about walking around outside the fenced-off port area. I have never felt unsafe like that before, between the EXTREMELY aggressive street vendors (not even Colombia can hold a candle) and a local who managed to both follow us and try to lure us into what sure did look like a narrow alleyway where I'm assuming he wasn't going to give us a map of the city and a friendly handshake. But that was just my experience, I'm guessing others have had better.

You must be joking about the brown water:

April2013cruise153_zpsb46c5b3d.jpg

Next time do not go to the rocky beaches.

As mentioned, Nellies and Columbus Cove are very nice beaches.

We loved Falmouth but did a tour. As was pointed out anything worthwhile is about an hour drive each way, BUT, it's nice in my opinion to see the country as you drive. Also they drive on the left and for us Americans that's kind of a neat experience.

Jamaica is beautiful and it's a shame to stay on board. This year we're going to Blue Hole, google it and see how nice it is.

Last year we did river tubing on the White river and that was great. Some rapids, some gentle floating, incredibly lush vegetation and warm clean water. Worth the drive for sure. We're doing that one again.

I think Jamaica gets a bum rap. True the town is nothing special but as they say, "Get out there!"

Adding that I like Labadee too. Always look forward to going there.

Please don't flame a poster for giving their opinion. After all, it is just a personal opinion and might not be the same as yours / mine or the original poster.

:)

Brown water is not really an opinion, in my opinion. It is a fact that is either true or not true, the latter in this case.

I've been to Falmouth a couple of times. The first we did aj excursion to Dunns River. Second time stayed on the ship. Our last time in December we took an excursion thru Liberty tours to the blue hole....this was the best excursion I have EVER taken. Yes its a long drive but it's so worth it. Go on you tube and see the videos made there. Absolutely stunning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I don't agree with either with the posts dising Labadee. yes everyone is entitled to their own two cents. DW and I really enjoy the beach day , its nice to have one of them and I don't remember the water being brown and ive been there two times already.

We enjoy Labadee and prefer itineraries that stop there. It's nice to get off the ship and not have to worry about transportation. As Labadee is a gated private Royal Caribbean resort (NOT an island as some mistakenly state), all vendors are cruise approved and all food is provided by the ship. It's pretty care-free. There are excursions if you want them, or a relaxing beach day if that's your preference. Folks who have experienced a rocky beach, probably didn't find their way to Nellie's Beach or Columbus Cove. :)

Well, I am hoping those of you with the positive feedback are correct. Marie and I are on Independence at the end of the year so it will be Falmouth on New Year's eve and an over the water cabana in Labadee for New Year's day. :D

You will LOVE the over-the-water cabana! Enjoy your vacation!

Well, I am hoping those of you with the positive feedback are correct. Marie and I are on Independence at the end of the year so it will be Falmouth on New Year's eve and an over the water cabana in Labadee for New Year's day. :D

You will love cabana. The pic I posted of the "brown" water is from our over-the-water cabana.

Check out google maps, search Labadee, scroll up a bit (it puts you on the fishing village just south of resort initially) go to satellite view. You'll see how nice it is.

Edited by DrD

Love the RC Bob marley tour in Falmouth. long bus ride up and back a different way but worth it.Local tour guide was great.

Labadee we always go to dragon's breath. Last time had to walk around gate as rough water and slippery. Attendant was sitting there and let people go around. lol worth it. Many different beach areas so walk until you find the one that you like.One time we were sweating and moved to another one with lots of wind.