touring Amsterdam

bellaggio

IMHO Amsterdam is very DIY seeable. Depending on your preferences and tastes the Rijksmuseum, an evening wine and cheese canal ride, Ann Frank's house and a rijsttafel can all fit into a day. Simply strolling the streets is amazing all by itself. If you're more adverturesome a day trip to Zaanstad or (depending on the time of year you are there) Kuekenhof are well worth the outing. Local train and bus transport is a piece of cake with a good map (available in any tourist office). We spent three days there a couple of years ago and everything above on our own (however Kuekenhof and Zaanstad are each a half day trip all by themselves).

Greg

We will be in Amsterdam for one full day. Do you need a guided tour or can we do it on our own? Has anyone used a tour company other than the cruise line that they would recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Amsterdam is really tourist friendly. When will you there? What are your interests?. 2 of the greatest art museums of the world are in Amsterdam and within a block and a half of each other. The VanGogh museum and the Rijksmuseum. If you are there between March 15 and May 20 the Keukenhof gardens will be open. Then there is the famous Red Light district, Ann Frank House, the canals themselves for strolling, Dam Square, diamond cutting tours and on and on. Some edibles to be sure and try : Bitteballen, Frites(French fries), puffetgens(small dutch pan cakes) served with butter and various toppings, fresh herring, fresh asparagras etc....You can use a guide but a little research and you can do it yourself quite easily. Try Rick Steeves Guide book. The time of year is important as to what you might want to do. Where you will stay is also a factor...A full day with a driver-guide can really cover a lot of the surrounding area. There are many small cities to see also, Gouda, the Hague, Hoorn, and most especially Delft. Good touring!

Edited by AWED23

I can not stress...get there real, real early. Otherwise it will take you hours in line. You can see the rest of the city on your own. Do not miss the Red Light District...it is so interesting. Right across the street from the largest Catholic Church. You can do this City on your own, but you have to maximize your time.

I can not stress...get there real, real early. Otherwise it will take you hours in line. You can see the rest of the city on your own. Do not miss the Red Light District...it is so interesting. Right across the street from the largest Catholic Church. You can do this City on your own, but you have to maximize your time.

You do not need a guide... for one day.. catch the canal tours from the main train station then to Rijiks museum. Id pass on Ann Franks.... interesting but tiny and you know the story and crowded.. Walk by it is almost as good..

Amsterdam is a walking city.... watch out for the bikes and trams. Pick 2 things to do... one in the morning and one in the evening. Your going to be dealing with jet lag and all sorts of stuff.. You will enjoy less more....it is not a contest

Samasabo for ricetable is the cities #1. Grab a beer and go to bed for the ship the next day and start the cruise fresh rather than whacked out.

I can not stress...get there real, real early. Otherwise it will take you hours in line. You can see the rest of the city on your own. .

If you want to tour the Anne Frank house you can avoid the line by buying your tickets on-line before you go. You pick the date and the time window you want and when you get there you can go right in.

We will be in Amsterdam for one full day. Do you need a guided tour or can we do it on our own? Has anyone used a tour company other than the cruise line that they would recommend?

Thanks for your help.

It's definitely "doable" but the better you are prepared/organized before your visit, the more you'll get out of it.

Also, as others have said, depends on your interests. For example, how much time, if any, do you want to spend in the musem(s) vs sightseeing, etc? How far can you walk without difficulty vs sightseeing tours (boat/bus)?

With a guide you'll be more efficient with your time and you will get lots of background information (hopefully); on your own you just might be guessing at what you are doing/seeing (depending on your travel expertise and preparation).

It's basically your call as you know your interests and capabilities best.

Amsterdam you can see the key sights of a canal boat cruise (just walk up on the left of the railway station) regular departures, walk the Damrak, and visit the Ann Frank Huis, Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum in the one day .

To maximize your sightseeing time pre book your admissions for specific date and time via the websites of Anne Frank Huis, Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum . Then just walk up at the specific time and you are straight in .

You can walk or take taxis, Amsterdam is fairly compact .

A day in Amsterdam is like a toe in the water. No way you can do it all.A canal boat ride is a very good idea followed by lunch and a self-guided walking tour with maybe one stop, a museum or Ann Frank Hues. After that look forward to many more visits to this beautiful city.

If you reserve your time in advance at the Anne Frank house, you will get right in. There is no reason to waste time by standing in line.

We have been there twice and while not a favorite city of ours, it is interesting. We purchased an unlimited tram pass and that was great for getting around when we criss-crossed the city.

Beware of bicycles as they fly through the streets.

We did not find the Red Light district worth the effort.

If you're comfortable with a map and can do moderate walking you'll be fine on your own. The city is nearly level, but be aware of the cobblestone streets and wear appropriate shoes. The old part of the city is somewhat circular in shape around the river and the canal system. The VanGogh and Rijksmuseum are only about 1-2 blocks apart, but for only one day I'd visit the Rijksmuseum because it offers more variety (but I loved the VanGogh too - few of his most famous paintings there, but it really shows the progression of both his work and his mental state through his life).

Since you'll be jetlagged, the canal boats are a beautiful way to see the city easily - I especially enjoyed seeing the variety and ingenuity of the permanently moored boat homes along the canal. That is also a wonderful way to get great photos, if that is an interest. It's also a way to catch a quick catnap if you need (I remember sitting in the boat thinking "I won't fall asleep, I won't fall asleep. . . . . . I just fell asleep")

And, yes, beware of the bicycle riders - they will even bump you if you don't move aside quickly enough when they come up behind you ringing their little bells. Depending on when you're there take time to walk the outdoor markets and have a bite to eat along the canals.

I agree the Redlight District is not worth the time in a 1-day visit, but it certainly is a unique experience if you're interested! It is something of a sensory overload.

Edited by TKS

Our first visit there, a resident friend met us at the ship and took us by tram to Dam Square and we walked all day. We saw much of the city sans museum and including a traditional Dutch lunch. He was formerly a tour guide in his home country and while you can do it on your own there is much to be missed. The streets are not in a grid pattern and it would be easy to get lost. Our 2nd time there we also had a guide who walked us around for a couple hours. We felt it was worth while. I love the offbeat nature of the city and would happily visit again.

Amsterdam is a city I know very well having worked for Dutch companies most of my working life. I agree with most of the comments made, especially looking out for the bikes and trams, they really do rule the road. A canal trip is a very relaxing way to see the city and if you take the museum boat it is a ho ho boat which stops close to all of the museums. My favourite is the Van Gogh and I believe is a must see.

I agree with the other posters that you can definitely tour Amsterdam on your own. Since you'll only have one day, you need to decide which things are most important to you, but you can easily spend a day walking around the central city, Dam square, Rijksmuseum, flower market, canal boat tour, outdoor café for people watching - the street leading up from the train station has lots of cafes and restaurants.

If you're a cheese lover visit a local grocery store and you'll see the BIGGEST ever wheels of cheese, and a huge assortment to sample. Visit the outdoor flower and flee market. The red light district is only interesting in the evening, the Anne Frank house is a very emotional experience, but be prepared for the crowds. You can see the royal palace and change of guards as well.

The architecture of the houses lining the canals is interesting as well as the bridges crossing the canals. It's a beautiful city with lots to see and do - you can even rent a bike to use for the day, if you're adventurous, or ride the local buses using a day pass.

~Benita

We bought the Team pass which could be used all day.

We also pre-booked the Anne Franks House with a detailed explanation in English which took place at about 9.30. This talk opened up the whole story and was very emotional.

Brian