why pay for a deviation if you are arriving on the day of the cruise?

beachchairs2

I don't believe that anyone get's the Deviation Fee waived, although people may choose to believe that one of any number of credits from the Cruise Line serves to offset that fee.

After 15 cruises the Air Deviation is gratis - free, waived, whatever you want to call it - We don't pay the air deviation. Arlene:rolleyes:

first time on O....

we have our air with O....

is there any advantage to paying for a deviation even if you are flying in on the day of and returning on the day of.....

some think they have a better chance to chose a better flight if they pay the 350.....

That is absolutely not true..dont waste your money..

Jancruz1

seems like it is a no brainer....asking for deviation just to see what they would give you....

as for their hotel package...really expensive..more than the price of deviation...

I like the last one from jan..."dont waste your money"....and I like what jim and stan say...will just see what they plan to give with the 350.....

Edited by beachchairs2

I suppose you can ask for a deviation just to see what they give you, but if everyone starts doing that I can see a rule change in the offing. Because the department doesn't exist to do each passenger's work.

Secondly, are you asking for the deviation in order to arrive in time to board the ship or are you telling them you're coming in a day or more earlier?

Let's say you do the latter. You get the information as to what airlines they would use and what it would cost. (And maybe only one.)

But Oceania doesn't have a contract with every airline, and even with those that it does -- you can't always upgrade with miles (if you had that in mind, maybe you didn't). So you could certainly find out what they would charge for a particular flight ... but not just ANY flight.

For me, it isn't worth it ... but it sounds like you like the idea. You have to do what you want to do!

It still doesn't save you the trouble of doing your own research if you aren't sure you would want to do.

And if you would literally ask for the deviation on the day you should be leaving for the ship, I wonder if Oceania could even sell it. Because a deviation is supposed to be for an earlier day, not THE day.

Mura

mura you are right..it would really tie up their dept....and yes I dont want to go in earlier...

maybe I am just stubborn...but they raised the fee just this year...I see it as a cash grab and fear makes people go for it...unless most here have deviation free...if it was free for me, I would def take it and spend one night in lisbon....we have been there several times...

Beach,

We have been there multiple times as well. Lisbon is one of my favorite cities.

But in your situation, I would take the deviation (just to be safe) and go in one day early. Unless the flights offered were terrible, in which case I'd do my own air and STILL go in at least one day early. I like Lisbon so much that one day isn't enough, but I can understand where you don't want to have the hotel expense just for the sake of coming in early.

But I reiterate what I have heard ... if you take the hotel package for one night I understand from what others have said that you will not have to pay for the deviation or the transfer. Not it does depend on the hotel charge for that one night. If it's per person, it probably doesn't compute (although eliminating the deviation charge could certainly help). If it's per room -- as now has happened on occasion -- that's something else.

I'm gathering from a review of the thread that you are doing a TA, Lisbon-Rio. We just did BCN-Rio so I understand the problem with booking flights!

In our case we booked our own air and went into Barcelona two days early (and like you with Lisbon, we've been there a number of times.)

I would check your itinerary myself to see what the hotel package is, but not having specific dates I cannot and you sound savvy enough to check it out yourself!

Mura

Here are the Oceania Club loyalty perks for cruises 15-19:

Gold - Cruise Credits 15-19

• Gold membership pins
  • $500 shipboard credit
  • Two complimentary Canyon Ranch spa treatments
  • Complimentary pre-paid gratuities
  • Exclusive Oceania Club cocktail reception
  • Exclusive Members-Only Offers
  • Advanced notice on new itineraries
  • NEW - Two Complimentary Air Deviation Waivers (a value of $300)
  • NEW - 20% discount on any single internet package
  • NEW - 10% discount on the Unlimited Shore Excursion Passport Collection
  • NEW - 10% discount on any beverage package
  • NEW - 10% discount on Oceania Cruises logo merchandise

However, it leads me to wonder -- what do they mean by two waivers? Is that two waivers per year? Two waivers for the entire period of 15-19 cruises (the perks for Platinum and Diamond also include Two Waivers)? It can't be two waivers per cruise, because each guest would need only one deviation per cruise.

I would also assume the value is increase to $350 now that the deviation fee has been raised to $175...

...But, it doesn't sound like all deviation fees are waived...

Edited by hondorner

Hi Beach,

The cost for the hotel for one night is 498 total. This includes the cost for air deviation, transfer from the airport to hotel and hotel to port. I am on the same cruise and took this option, because I just don't like to fly in and jump on the ship. I need a buffer day just in case. The price was ok with me for the ease of mind and to be honest, I want someone else coordinating this part of the trip. Truth be told though, we will probably end up taking a cab to the port if the transfer isn't timely enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

However, it leads me to wonder -- what do they mean by two waivers? Is that two waivers per year? Two waivers for the entire period of 15-19 cruises (the perks for Platinum and Diamond also include Two Waivers)? It can't be two waivers per cruise, because each guest would need only one deviation per cruise.

I would also assume the value is increase to $350 now that the deviation fee has been raised to $175...

Don,

Relatively sure that you need deviations for you as well as Betsy. $175/deviation so you need 2 deviations. If someone were gold and cruising solo, they would only need one deviation at $175. Need to to cover couples.

And, more than likely the perks are for each cruise so more than one cruise with deviations would be another 2 deviations, two $500 OBC, etc.

All the responses to fly in before embarkation day reinforces my posts that a same day arrival should not be part of 'free air'. It would cost them virtually no more to have 'day before' check box except of course lose the 'hidden' extra of the deviation fee.

Just add the (now) $350 deviation fee when evaluating an Oceania cruise purchase & that is that. At least with O you know (or mostly could know) that THEIR advertised price included air and fees & taxes though do have to watch the fine print as sometimes they too now are excluding these to appear less expensive like much of the mass market lines marketing does.

Don and everyone else. Let me clear up this air deviation question. For every cruise from 15 on the two people traveling together will get the air deviation waived ON ALL THEIR CRUISES!! We have booked one for next month (#16) and one for July (#17) and the air deviation is FREE for DH and me. You can use it (or not) on an cruise you take over 15. It works the same way a SBC or free gratuities would work.....for any cruise. Arlene;)

thank you to all...I do have to fly on the day...I dont have the days to be able to fly in earlier...that is why my original question refers to why pay if flying in on the day of....

looks like I will be taking my chances...

Understandable situation. We have been in the same position; just some times choices are not your own. Enjoy the cruise (and the flight!)

Edited by YoHoHo