Over the door organizers

cruz4evr

I use one from Dollar Tree. The backing is a very thin cloth that is easy to puncture with the hooks on the doors. One pocket I stuff receipts and papers in, the rest are quick grab toiletries. It keeps the counter and sink area totally empty and clean and cuts down on clutter on the main desk w papers. For $1 it works for me and keeps the bathroom tidy.

Mine is attached to a sturdy hanger with zip ties. It goes in the closet.

Rain ponchos, post-it notes and pens, playing cards, stuff for M&G (mardi gras beads), flashlight, chargers and data cords for phones/kindles/camera, sunglasses, paperback books, hats (rolled up), curling iron, DHs belts and ties, laundry detergent packets, seasick bands/bonine, lanyards, sunscreen and bug spray, snorkels/swim masks, first aid kit, etc.

Everything BUT shoes goes in there!

...Sue Do-Over, we do the same thing...works really well. Never thought of bringing one until we read it here on CC. Tried it and loved it. Only cost a dollar, extremely light and easy to pack.

At the end of every cruise, we tell the cabin steward that we are leaving it. They are grateful because they can use them to organize their things in their own cabins. (Most share their cabins with another crew member and are in there for several months.) :)

I bought mine from Walmart about 10 years ago for $5-6. It's light, folds flat, and has a dozen pockets. All of our medications, toiletries, plus sunscreen, bug spray, and aloe go into it- so the bathroom is always tidy and the vanity top is clear. All of our chargers and cords go into it too, so the cabin desk tops aren't cluttered. And I know exactly where to find things, so no hunting through drawers trying to remember where I put x, y, or z.

Can you travel without one? Sure. But I prefer an organized, uncluttered space when I vacation, and this helps me do that.

We use one on all our Fred Olsen cruises and hang it over wardrobe or bathroom door. It has see through plastic pockets which means we can see inside easily. It holds camera, chargers, sewing kit and heaps more saving work top space as well

I am another one in favor of the shoe bags. DH and I hate shoes lying on the floor so I found a cheap one that folds flat but hold 5 or 6 pair of shoes. Works perfect for us.

Darn! Never thought of using one for shoes!:D Back to the Dollar store

** My fancier one with zippered pockets for cosmetics, pills, & sundries avoids 1 or 2 junk drawers

Do you take an over the door organizer on cruises, and if so can you recommend a good one? I noticed several organizers on Amazon that get favorable ratings but want to make certain there are no issues with the hooks when closing the bathroom door. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

We bought a over the door hanger at the dollar store. We have taken it on 3 cruises and never used it. It's sitting in a junk box in the garage.

Never mind those shoe holder things. We did a cabin crawl recently on the Independence, and one of the hosts was using magnetized clip holders to great effect. The cabin walls are metal, so anything with a magnet sticks. This lady had the daily cruise newsletters clipped into a magnetized bulldog clip, stuck up on the wall. All her reminders and shore excursion info clipped on another magnetized doo-dad. Pair of sunglasses hanging on another one.

The point here is she was using the walls. With magnets. Think about that.

Darn it! Just hit the dollar store to pick one up and they didn't have any :(. Mom and I are doing a quilting cruise so will have lots of extra little supplies along to organize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Dollar Tree they are usually in the laundry area. 99c Store they can be in the laundry or cosmetic aisle.

Do you take an over the door organizer on cruises, and if so can you recommend a good one? I noticed several organizers on Amazon that get favorable ratings but want to make certain there are no issues with the hooks when closing the bathroom door. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

I find that I don't need one if there are only two of us. If there are 3, then it comes in handy. I've had mine for years and got it at the thrift store. It's actually for shoes, but works perfectly for odds and ends to keep the counters clear.

Never mind those shoe holder things. We did a cabin crawl recently on the Independence, and one of the hosts was using magnetized clip holders to great effect. The cabin walls are metal, so anything with a magnet sticks. This lady had the daily cruise newsletters clipped into a magnetized bulldog clip, stuck up on the wall. All her reminders and shore excursion info clipped on another magnetized doo-dad. Pair of sunglasses hanging on another one.

The point here is she was using the walls. With magnets. Think about that.

I like to collect magnets. My kids thought it was cool that I was able to put the magnets straight on the cabin wall, as soon as we came back from a port.

I think it depends on how much stuff a person takes. We take a lot less than what I read about on these packing lists. My husband and I each have hanging toiletry bag on the towel rack in the bathroom. Those only contain things that are used in the bathroom. I have a makeup bag and hair product bag at the desk, where I use them. I found that is easier than chasing down what I need from bathroom to cabin.

We did try the. OTD shoe holder once for shoes when we had our kids cruising in the cabin with us. I found I didn't like it crowding the hallway. I did like that it kept all our shoes off the floor, kids tend to leave them laying around. I like to hang our robes on the hooks on the inside of the bathroom. We have a small travel tray that holds odds and ends, it packs flat and snaps up to make the tray sides. So that keeps clutter at bay.

I may still have the shoe holder somewhere in the garage. If I do, it's been there since 1998, after our first cruise.

I don't keep unnecessary papers, like the daily patters. I dispose of anything that is not of use again. Right there keeps the desk clear. If we happen to buy a photo or a souvenir, we pack it right away to keep it out of the way. I think both my husband and I like to keep the small space as clutter free as possible. We find there is plenty of storage for the necessities

Edited by Happy ks